• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yesterdays deuce issues questions

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So we had three issues yesterday. Ron and I are curious what others may think is wrong.

Issue #1: Trans is smooth shifts great-except 3rd, absolutely no noise. It doesn't seem to want to go into 3rd easily, not hard but not like the rest. If accelerating in 3rd-all is good if you let off it pops out. We are thinking a synchro is going out??

Issue #2: When making right turns, not hard turns but just an average turn, the two rears seem to bind up, then there is a loud popping sound that shakes the entire rear of the truck. It will repeat if turn continues. We are thinking a problem with the differential (spider gears). It is like there are 2 detroits on the back during right turns. No visible damage anywhere on the rear suspension.

Issue #3: Right rear hub is so hot (30 miles) you can't touch it. Is a brake shoe hanging? Bearing issue? or is it related to #2?

zout

I am not very smart at all and some times I wish I had X Ray vision. Those kind of glasses they use to try to sell years ago on the back inside page of comic books for $1. Sure would come in handy sometimes.

I would guess synco on #1
Guess on #3 is #2.

Just a thought if any drain oil had been dumped to check for pieces that might give you a better indication if something worse is happening inside the chunk & trans.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
IMHO,
#1- yes
#2- Mine popps and growls on sharp turns, put some grease where the spring touches the pad and see if it helps.
#3- I would check brake pad to drum clearance by jacking it up and listening for it dragging. Then I would check the bearings. If the hub is hot cause of the spider gears, they would be red hot.

joeM62

I heard you had to turn the truck back to Rockmart. Did you check the chatter noise that the duce was making? I'll help twright out tomarrow with the problems, think there is some bad mojo about that truck.

JDToumanian

#2 - This was the symptom of my pinion shaft bearings failing on the middle axle.... Try grabbing the drive shaft to see if there's excess play.

#3 - Did you service the bearings on this axle recently? If so, it's possible that the outer bearing seal is tight. The New Star imported seals are not 100% consistent and I've had some run hotter than others. Mine did "wear in" and cool off but it was alarming for a while.

Jon

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO,
#3- I would check brake pad to drum clearance by jacking it up and listening for it dragging. Then I would check the bearings. If the hub is hot cause of the spider gears, they would be red hot.
I should have said the backing plate and drum were normal temp, the hub you couldn't touch.

I heard you had to turn the truck back to Rockmart. Did you check the chatter noise that the duce was making? I'll help twright out tomarrow with the problems, think there is some bad mojo about that truck.
Joe, no bad mojo, something is definately broken. There is no "chatter" it sounds like you hit the box with a hammer and if your hand is on the bed when it lets go, the whole box shakes.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the nuts are on too tight. No infared thermometer to seee what the actual temps are?
I agree, that's what I think the hot hub's problem is. I don't believe that's the popping issue though. There's something wrong with one of the differentials.

deathrowdave

Try greasing the bearings where the pivots are on the rear springs . (Trunion - Spelling ?) Greased mine and a bunch of noise in the rear end left town !!!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is Ron, Would a BROKEN axle cause the clatter when turning a sharp turn, I noticed it more making a sharp right turn, but Jim saids he could here it both directions, whats your thoughts on this ?????????

wsucougarx

Just curious, does your truck have a Sprag? I had issues similiar to #2. In fact the truck would completely stop even under full throttle. Shift in reverse then back in first then I would be good. Turned out my situation was a bad Sprag.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just curious, does your truck have a Sprag? I had issues similiar to #2. In fact the truck would completely stop even under full throttle. Shift in reverse then back in first then I would be good. Turned out my situation was a bad Sprag.
No sprag-air shift.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
jumping out of 3rd requires the 2-3 hub and or syncro assy and or 3rd gear dogs to be in really bad shape. there are however some new 2-3 hubs out there that are NOS and the recess in the center that holds the syncro in gear is barely there. (that is why i say that surplus is surplus for a reason) it will be very simple to see and fix, but only after you take it apart.

tom

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figured out the loud popping noise from the rear. The preload on the LR trunion bearing was not right. At the trunion you could move the leaf spring about 1/8" at the bearing when the truck was supported at the trunion by jackstands. The hub is coming apart today to fix the heat problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks