• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

your camping trailer loadout recommendations

quickfarms

Essential

Fire Ext DOES NOT mount 6" from a fuel tank/engine. Mount it far enough away that you can grab it when the obvious items are burning. One per engine/fuel tank. And a spare 20lb ABC.

Get a 2-1/2gal water can (the SS bullet) work GREAT for most fires (non hydrocarbon). Stop by your local FD and have them add 8oz of Class A foam, fill with water, and pressurize with your compressor. Will put out a LOT of fire long before FD can get to you.

Local Fire Chief
That is a good idea

plym49

Not a camping only tip, but I always carry basic tire repair stuff: patches, plugs, valve stems and inserts, good pair of dykes, insertion tool, valve stem tool - takes vary little space and can save a lot of time.

mudman

My 17 year old daughter and I do this all the time...Dry camping in Nevada is bitch'n, we move from hill tops to vallies, looking for hot springs to soak in!!! These will be great memories later in life... Here goes..first a cooler of food, cooler of cocktails, stove, cots, sleeping bags, 10 gallon gott cooler for water to wash, drink and clean up of cooking supplies, lantern, cooking supplies, couple of pistols and rifles, ammo, fishing poles... oh and my ever popular canopy. that's it for about 3-4 days. We rock and look good doing it to...
I have a 1028 and a 101a2 and it makes a perfect unit to do what we do.. I had a Jeep Rubicon, but not big enough for the long haul!!
Thanks,
Ken

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Done this multiple times, here's my inventory...

Folding cot, bag, Coleman stove, lanterns, propane BBQ, arctic tent...in case we need more room!...first aid kit, flag and pole, 3 merimites, 2 coleman/igloo ice chests, hutch with all the cooking utencils, TP, a few rolls of towels, shovel, rake, pick, boarding ladder, tarp, solar shower, MOLLE full of clean clothes, usually only do the boxers and socks, wonder why people avoid me when I stop on the way home?...clean up tools and their food ;). The truck usually carries the needed repair items/BII tools, wood.

I have spent 5-6 days out in the dirt. only once have I ever had to get more than what I had for sleeping. It was a DB one year and the wind was bone gripping cold and cut through everything.

I'll see if I can dig up a pic of the hutch thing I made.

rbeasley66

Lots of those cheap little LED lights from HF.
I have a pole that goes into my propane tank with 3 outlets, one at the top for a lantern and 2 on the sides that hoses hook to for a grill and stove. A small propane heater is nice for those chilly mornings as well.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
What about one of the vestibule tents to go with the trailer.

You would be protected from the weather and have more privacy.

The bunk could be built into the trailer or you could use cots.

A floor in the tent would protect from dirt and creepy crawlers.

Those of you who are familiar with the M577 Command Track know what I mean.

Attachments

harleyhouse

Propane stove and tank
Roof top tent
Hot water heater / shower
water tank and pump
chairs
table and cook surface
port o potty
shovel and axe
sleeping bags
cooler

Attachments

indy4x4fab

Banned
I decided to go big and not go home. That's Mrs._indy4x4fab standing next to the m818 on 16r20 and the m129a2c SUPER CAMPER on 16-20, aubrey is 5'8''.

Two queen size beds with twin beds above each queen, a stand up shower, 40 gal hot water heater, 240 electric stove and over, washing machines, commercial twin wash basin sink, and m105 in tow behind it with a 400 gal water tank, and mep-003 gen set in it. Lawn chairs and table, close line, port o potty, plus food and med kit.

Attachments

Last edited:

LanceRobson

What about one of the vestibule tents to go with the trailer.

You would be protected from the weather and have more privacy.

The bunk could be built into the trailer or you could use cots.

A floor in the tent would protect from dirt and creepy crawlers.

Those of you who are familiar with the M577 Command Track know what I mean.
I don't remember the official name since we always called them "tube tents" anyway.

You'd need to make up modified poles and an arch for the end that booted to the CP track and find a way enclose that end since the tent actually was held to the vehicle by hems with rope in them that clamped under bars to secure it an make it light tight.

I suspect you'd be a lot better off buying a commercial pop-up or tubular steel framed shelter. Beside, no matter how well you cleaned and dried the canvas before storing it the stuff always smelled like something had died in it.

Lance

LanceRobson

Mike, I guess what I take would be related to how far from civilization I was headed, why I was headed there and which truck was doing the towing.

If I were going to a show there's a lot to be said for booming the S-280 camper into a 6x6 like I did for Gilbert last year and hooking up an M105A2.

But, if I am living out of the trailer...

As somebody else already stated I wouldn't normally be carrying any breakdown stuff or fire extinguishers, first aid kits etc in the trailer since that is always in/on the truck. For the M105 I would only have a spare tire if I was towing with a 5-ton since our deuces have 5 spares on the truck (the one under the bed and the four outer duallys). For the M101s we have one of the tire hangers that hangs over the tongue.

If I'm going to be doing all the cooking/baking for full meals we have a chuck box for staples and a cook box with detachable legs that holds a camp stove, lantern and all the cooking/cleaning stuff for 5-6 people along with plates, cups, spices etc. Add in a camp style Dutch oven if the amount of time spent in camp allows for baking or roasting. I often bring a Weber kettle grill grilling/BBQing, either a big one or a little Smokey Joe. It doubles as a fire ring in areas where you can't have a fire on the ground.

For short trips or if the weather promises to be rough I bring frozen vacuum packed pre-cooked food and just heat it in hot water. I generally only pack cook gear to match my intended menu so some of the stuff listed gets left behind based on that. Chairs, table, coolers, water and fuel cans etc as needed and a carpet strip for the floor.

Add an electric lantern with rechargeable batteries and charger if needed. We have 12 volt and 24 volt inverters and take whatever is needed for our power needs. Same with 28 volt ration/hot water heaters, propane or liquid fueled lanterns, propane stalk and manifold yadda, yadda, yadda as needed. I rarely carry a generator unless I’m going to be gone for more than a week with no prospect of getting fresh ice.

I'm OK with a cot and mat or just toss a bivy sack on the ground but have also been known to take a queen sized inflatable mattress. Sometimes (rarely anymore) I bring a tent.

I usually tote a 12x16' canvas fly and poles. I may break down and get one of the commercial shelters with side curtains though.

The pioneer tools cover most camp work but for serious off roading I have been known to carry a couple of saws and peavys for moving logs. Generally this would be a small limbing saw and a big felling one.

When appropriate I take a weather warning radio, up to date topo maps, waterproof map case and a good orienteering compass.

In bear county I carry a bear bag for hanging food and anything else that will attract bears (toothpaste, soap and other hygiene items are bear magnets, too) and when legal carry a rifle. I don’t mind bears being in the camp with me much but most black bear attacks are predatory and I feel better when I have a rifle at arms reach.

Lastly, when in the boonies I leave a copy of my planned route and schedule with someone I trust and stick to it.

I have the tall walk-in height cap off my old M1008 and it is within a inch or two of fitting an M101 bed. I have a extra M101A2 in great shape and am considering mount the cap on permanently. We'll see how that plays out. I'd have to cut off the lugs the tailgate pins and chain pins go through so it will not be easy to reverse and I'm still mulling it over.

I'm also looking for an M1061 or similar trailer for the S-280. If I can get a clean trailer like indfy4x4abs it would become my primary show hooch and cargo trailer behind the M915A1.

Lance

clandr1

sink/faucet - fed from tank of water, gravity fed, mounted high on the trailer to get some pressure to operate
I like lots of what you posted, but this jumped out at me -- I would be hesitant to mount something so heavy higher than I absolutely had to for stability and center of gravity reasons. I would mount the water tank in the lowest part of the cargo area of the trailer and use a Shurflo pump to feed the water to my shower/sink/etc.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree about the water tank height, but I wasn't necessarily meaning a HUGE water tank. 15-20 gallons would do for a camping trip, just enough to wash pots and pans, and make food. I like the idea of the pump, though...

srodocker

Great thread! tons of ideas as my camper is hopefully going to get rolling again. i like the cp tent off the tracked vehicle. i was thinking of a L shape awning but maybe one of those will be better?

i love this thread!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The receiver insert idea is certainly a great one. 2" receviers all over the place may be overkill. For mounting tables, grills, umbrellas, sinks and the such one should consider maybe using 1" box with 7/8 inserts. Using the smaller stuff, one might be able to afford to put them every couple of feet all around the trailer and some at different heights too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks