• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

your camping trailer loadout recommendations

tim292stro

I would not recommend MDF as it is very heavy and offers poor structural characteristics...
...And has a tendency to absorb water and swell also gaining weight. You should probably look at marine grade Baltic Birch Plywood (not USMC, marine as in water/boats :)). The glue will stand up to water exposure over longer periods of time without delaminating.

My camping supplies would include a few "essentials" in order of importance:

• Water - on the long side figure 1gallon/day/person, if impractical you need a way to obtain/purify this water
  • A device to at least boil water and additionally cook food including cooking pots and/or pans. (single burner multi-fuel stove, multiburner multi-fuel stove - camp style dependent)
  • Large First Aid Kit (day-backpack sized)
  • Shelter (hard shelter, tent, bivouac, sleeping bag, or combinations of those - camp style dependent)
  • Food
  • Current Map/good-compass
  • A place to keep perishable food from spoiling (ice-box, cooler, or mini-fridge - camp style dependent)
  • General Heat - fueled heater or logs (camp style dependent), or at least a way to start a fire (lifeboat matches, magnesium stick)
  • A place to keep my stuff secured while away on a hike, or on the road, or secure from wildlife while asleep (padlocked large steel trailer, bear box - camp style dependent - NOT KEPT IN THE OCCUPIED/DRIVEN VEHICLE IN BEAR COUNTRY)
  • A place to put my waste. (Port-o-Potty + toilet paper, shovel + pine cone - camp style dependent)

Elaboration should your camp style be more "civilized", have more space, and more truck and trailer to haul with - again in order of importance:

• Light (LED, Electroluminescent, or glow sticks) if electrically powered, either use rechargeable batteries, hand crank generator or solar panel(s).
  • GPS
  • Entertainment (Binoculars [for nature], Book or playing cards [for rain-outs], tablet PC for reading PDF dumps of SS pages or watching videos)
  • Cot(s), inflatable mattress, folding chairs etc.
  • Awning or tarp for shade - for more shade than a tent, plus flow through ventilation
  • Mosquito netting
  • Extra plates utensils for guests (even some unexpected visitors).
  • A way to make coffee - I'm not too proud to avoid using instant coffee or a perk-pot if my French press and unblended whole-bean Kona coffee and my adjustable grinder isn't available
  • Sports equipment (baseball+bat+gloves, soccer ball, football, Frisbee).
  • Luxury hygiene stuff: shower head + curtain (really only useful if you have access to enough water)
  • PLB when well away from normal camp grounds/roads - or if budget or camp style allows, rent/buy a sat-phone
  • Some recovery gear, ramps, ropes, pullies, anchors... etc.
  • Power generation and distribution gear

If done prudently, you would put or accommodate the more critical stuff from the first list closer to the inside of the towing vehicle, should something happen to your trailer forcing you to abandon it (so it doesn't destroy your trip/vacation).

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Obviously, unless you're driving a bug-out type vehicle on a multi-week outing, the "worst" should vary to some degree and affect how much crap you take with you - at least that's what I've been gently suggesting in the most subtle way possible to my wife over the last 10 years... :whistle:

Last edited:

RAYZER

It seems although this thread is about bii load out, it mostly features military camper trailers of the smaller persuasion (originally specified).
Just about everything that one needs to survive comfortably in any size camper trailer has been mentioned, I start making a long list about 2 weeks before I leave on a trip.
One item I can't imagine doing without is a support vehicle,
I have made a spot for my KE100 (Taj sppt) which has proven to be invaluable on rally trips.
If I brake down I can get down the road @ 50 mph, not to mention having the ability for reconnaissance
And trail riding!
Before i started taking the motorcycle, I would take my Trek 4500 mountain bike which is a great way to get around also.
I wanted to have a jacuzzi and 72" flat screen but it wouldn't fit!:Duploadfromtaptalk1407295228911.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407295259337.jpg

Last edited:

crash7795

Okay, so after more ideas have been percolating in my head all evening....I love the lists of must-have gear and such, and some of the ideas of how to build. I'm also curious about where you screwed up conceptually/operationally, and what your favorite aspect of your build is - the neatest trick, or slickest add-on. Let's hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

61sleepercab

One camping item I will not go without is a Coleman 2 burner stove and the Coleman Folding Oven which is a folding box about 14 x14x3 inches high and unfolds to about 14 inch square two shelf oven that fits over one burner. You can bake biscuits , corn bread and other goodies with the gadget.

Next is using the Coleman expedition type insulated ice chest which out preforms cheap ice chests by far. Put a divider in the chest like a plastic file holder and keep gallon sized double bagged frozen meats upright and not floating like a cork. Prefrozen bagged items act as ice until it thaws and stays cold in the ice itself.

Lastly, plastic bread keeper boxes keeps critters out of your light bread and it keeps the bread from being smashed flat . Empty bread keepers have snap lids and can contain loose items after bread is eaten. Mark

rustystud

One camping item I will not go without is a Coleman 2 burner stove and the Coleman Folding Oven which is a folding box about 14 x14x3 inches high and unfolds to about 14 inch square two shelf oven that fits over one burner. You can bake biscuits , corn bread and other goodies with the gadget.

Next is using the Coleman expedition type insulated ice chest which out preforms cheap ice chests by far. Put a divider in the chest like a plastic file holder and keep gallon sized double bagged frozen meats upright and not floating like a cork. Prefrozen bagged items act as ice until it thaws and stays cold in the ice itself.

Lastly, plastic bread keeper boxes keeps critters out of your light bread and it keeps the bread from being smashed flat . Empty bread keepers have snap lids and can contain loose items after bread is eaten. Mark
I like the bread keeper idea. I have never seen one though. Who makes a good one ?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks