• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker motor swap

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks like Stretch has next monday off. I will be headed up this Thursday to start removing body panels. Hope to pull the motor Fri, swap parts and tap for pyro, then install new motor Sat. ED and DH said they could help. Any tricks I need to know to make the swap easier? SOunded like I should pull the winch to make things go easier.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that will be one wild ride to say the least... take plenty of pics... once the rad is out the way along with all the front grill.. the winch dont seam to be a problem.. the rewinder is easy to take off.. that would be in the way some for sure. the muffler will not come out with the right fender still on but you can pull the engine a let the muffler stay up against the frame. good luck :roll:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Multi-fuel Tim! Removing the winch is a good idea, since he has a new winch to put back on.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When we swapped the engine in my 816 we pulled the engine and tranny as one unit.
It is a lot easier to line the tranny back up when you can do it from above.
We did not pull the winch and had no issues but if you are going to put another winch in it can't hurt.
We used a another wrecker to pull the engine...you need to have some way to adjust the angle when pulling and re-installing.
Having a tanker bar or big crowbar for leverage is not a bad idea either.
Good luck.

By the way..did any of you Ohio guys win that new (rebuilt) Cummins that sold out of Columbus last week.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like another small road trip for me :p

Now that I know some of the schedule, I guess I'll show up on Friday Morning sometime to help with the pull and swap....this is gonna be a fun weekend. Lots of good company, wrenching on fun trucks and maybe a beer or 3 or 4 for good measure.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least you guys aren't waiting for the cold weather to hit! I don't speak 5 ton anymore but I do speak deuce. I'd pull the winch and pop it as a unit. Last one I did I didn't even take the radiator off, did the whole powerpack (just like Uncle Sam designed it).

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be off for a 3 day weekend. Hoping gimp can get plastic hung in the pole barn for heating, and get the vehicles rearranged so we have a work space. Need to run electric out and hang some lights. There is some wiring out there. Also need to plow the snow out and get the doors to move... So lots to do if anyone wants to help out thrusday and friday, since I'll be at work.

Dennis

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I am off on Friday. Let me know if you guys need help.
I plan to be there Thursday, so feel free to come on over. Still got my cell#? What fuel does out heaters run on? I need to make sure we have plenty. I need to bring west coast mirrors for Stretch. Rear shackles and a trailer chain hook for Ed. Anything I missed?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exhaust hose. Eric and tom are the ones with the heaters, I'm guessing diesel/kerosene. Wonder if they will run on transformer oil. Sure there is more I'm forgetting.. O, don't forget your transmission this time!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats the exhaust hose for? Is it for the crane truck?

Kero/diesel for my heater. I'll bring it full, and plan to bring a few cans of fuel for it.

Ed and I were chatting and decided we will both bring our "slamander heaters". He has 2 and I have 1, for a total of over 300000 BTUs.

We will need power to run them.

Last edited:

The PIG Smith

Do you fellows need an extra hand?
If so, my 13 year old son and I would like to help out.
(actually, he has never seen a MV up close, but loves working on Jeeps)

I live in Fort Wayne, IN so Cincinnati is only about 3+ hours from me.
Let me know when/where.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I told ya on the phone gimp, if you need it I have a roll of that corrogated 4" drain tile I can bring for exhaust hose.

My heaters run on diesel/kero also, I think transformer oil will be to thick for them. I don't know how big Eric's heater is but my two alone are 310,000 btu's, so we should have plenty of heat. I'll also bring them full and another can of fuel for them. I have a 100' heavy extension cord I'll bring for a little power and a receptacle box so we can run some shorter cords off of that...hopefully we're not dealing with too much distance.

If there is anything else, just let me know

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should warn everyone to bring food, cupboards are bare(wife is dieting)... and sleeping arrangements will be sacking out on the floor in the house.

Exhaust hose is so the M108 can run inside the barn.

Dennis

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dennis, do you have an LP gas grill we could cook on?

Gimpy, can you try to remember a few water cans? (maybe 4)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks