• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker motor swap

GamaGoatGirl

Doghead is on his way home - he called around noon and said he was outside of Buffalo! He said the ride was going well and thanks to Gimpy for the comfy seat!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think we all had a good time, and we achieved the main goals.

It was real nice to meet a couple more people in person too! Plenty of good help really made a huge difference!

Thanks again to Earth, we ate well and enjoyed your contributions!

Thanks Dennis, for letting us crash.

Thanks to all the guys, for helping me prep my truck and load. It was all worth it(excellent trip home).

On my trip home with the M819, spare motor, trailer with pickup truck on it(est 46000lbs), I managed to get 4.59 mpg. (99 gals/455 miles) 53 mph average over 8.5 hours. 61mph max speed. one fuel stop.

Did I mention how much fun I had?

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just got in from loading up. Yes Kenny, I'm putting the dump bed from blue on the 353 trailer from Ga rally. It will have a low deck height for loading as a regular trailer and still be able to unload with the throw of a switch. I have a 24v pump that I will have a slave port to power it with. I hurt. Thanks for all the help to everyone.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Glad you made it home Doghead!!!!!!!!!!!!

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimpy you need to make sure you take some pics of the dumper.. i might try that one as i need a yard dumper to pick up pinestraw and limbs

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neat bend mirrors! I want a couple! :wink:
Awesome work guys, love it when a plan comes together.
Eric, glad you made it home safe with your new 'toy'.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont think I have ever worked harder than the last 4 days. Thrusday got the pole barn cleaned out,lights up, heat, and power ran. Next two days was the wrecker motor swap. Sunday got Doghead packed up and blue dump bed on gimpy's trailer. Monday scrapped out the blue truck and packed up gimpy. Lots of help. Also repaired and installed a radaitor for the M108. Got the garage cleaned and pressure washed. Visited glen's suplus. Gimpy picked up a 100 gallon fuel tank.

Sure there is more, all I can think of for now. Was a good time, but don't want to do it too often!

citizensoldier

You the man Stretch! Your a blessing to the Steel Soldiers community! So did those hoists work for anything or did I waste my time? They might end up a multifuel engine stand when I am done with them. Any more pictures?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Lane those slings are bigger than Stretch. They are for pulling a power pack from a tank. Just got home about 45min ago. Had to adjust the height of the dump bed so it wasn't riding on the tires. Now I need to cut down the dump bed to fit how I want, weld up some new sides, bolt it down and hook up the hydraulics. :roll:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you got home safe Gilligan :twisted:

Looks like I missed out on some more fun Sunday evening. Maybe I should have tried to hang around another night.

citizensoldier

Lane those slings are bigger than Stretch. They are for pulling a power pack from a tank. Just got home about 45min ago. Had to adjust the height of the dump bed so it wasn't riding on the tires. Now I need to cut down the dump bed to fit how I want, weld up some new sides, bolt it down and hook up the hydraulics. :roll:
Well I knew they were big but not that big! Maybe a spreader for picking up CUCV's? :-D Regardless they will be made into something useful because I dont see a M60 tank in my future but you never know.
So you guys scrapped out that dumper of Kenny's? Did he at least get the parts he needed for the yellow one off it? Are you using the cylinder off it? Hows the wrecker run? More pictures! More pictures!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks