• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker motor swap

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All is well. No immediate family in peril at all. She is home, and will be until Nov when she is scheduled to go to Afghanistan for a year.

derby

Hey You guy's be safe, keep the door cracked. You don't want pass out from fumes off those heaters and find you installed a gasser in the wrecker! by the waynopics

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, things have been nuts! Stopped at a surplus place today and picked up a 120 gal fuel tank I plan on mounting in my deuce bed for $80! A big thanks goes to Earth for the grub! Another big thanks to everyone that has helped out. It was great meeting Nick, he helped alot. Sorry so much was going on, didn't really get a chance to BS much. The old motor is out, the new motor is prepped. Waiting on a better throw out bearing, should have thought to bring the new one I have SOMEWHERE! Just so you guys know, the newer build motors (LDT) have oil squirters to cool the pistons. Mine has a build date of 2-92. I was happy to see it has them. My 5ton turbo needs a different intake elbow, so I can't put that in yet. Thats all I can think of right now, pics later, Dennis got some good ones and so did Nick. Thanks for the support.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all, I just got back home about an hour or two ago. The motor swap/rally went really well. I got there about 11:00 on Friday morning, and they had the motor almost ready to pull. We finished that up and started changing things over to make an LDT fit into the place of an LDS. Saturday morning was spent finishing up with odds and ends of the change-over. and a 2 hour run to Columbus to meet up with Junkyard Wars Crusher to get the "new-er" throw-out bearing. After that little excursion, we slapped the transmission back on and put the motor in. It went in super smooth, and in a few hours we were able to get everything hooked back up to it, and fire it up before we quit for the night.

This morning started off by finishing up with intake and body panels of the wrecker. As well as getting DH set up for his trip home with his new 819. It was a great weekend. Lots of great food thanks to Earth, lots of good company....even if DH was there :twisted:. And, surprisingly enough, even a few beers were drunk. Overall, I would say a good time was had by all.

I know Nick and Stretch took quite a few good pics, and they will get them posted up soon enough for you hounds to look at.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like these kinf of threads. Love the pics too. Eric looks like he got himself a warranty motor sans the can lid. Did I see a hint of a blue POS in the background?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Good News!!!!!

I got my one heater working again!!! :razz::razz::-D:-D:razz::razz:

That was for Gimpy, Stretch and DH.

Now for the rest of you wondering what the heck I'm talking about.

On Saturday night, one of my torpedo heaters finally ran out of fuel (we had been running them hard Friday night and all day Saturday)...you can see one of them in one of stretches pictures above, the yellow ones. We were busy working on getting the wrecker back together, and the other one was putting out enough heat for us to be comfortable, we just finished up without filling it back up or unplugging it. Sunday morning when we went back out to the barn, and plugged in the power cord feeding our lights and heaters (I forgot that we left one plugged in, but the other one that was running had been unplugged to shut it down)...anyway, when I plugged in the cord, the fan on that heater came on immediately for about 1 or 2 seconds and shut off...It's not supposed to do that!!! After that it wouldn't fire up at all. I opened it up at stretches and looked at it quickly, but in the dim light I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary...I thought It might have fried a component on the control board..no big deal, and back to work.

Today I got it off the truck and in proper light, I opened it up again and on the control board, what I thought at stretches was a semiconductor device, was really a gray colored, heavily dusted fuse cover. I opened the cover and found and replaced the blown fuse and now I have both heaters working again.

Happy me!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks