• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Help

Since I'm not at the truck right now and since I will be hitting Napa before I head over to it, how many feet of fuel line do you think I'll need? Might as well make sure I have the right diameter as well (what would the inner diameter be?). I dare say I might just skip the fuel filter but if I do I will most likely put some sort of filter in between.

Is this the fuel filter?

images w arrow.jpg

I'm hoping it is not because I accidentally opened that up when I first started working on this truck and it was full of what looked and smelled like automatic transmission fluid. I am quite sure that diesel does not do that... Could it be though that someone put atf in there to prevent clogging or something? (fyi: that is not my engine bay, just a google image)

stampy

ATF is the best diesel fuel you can buy. Typically we add some to blended fuel to make it run better. There is a lot you can run in these trucks search alternative fuels when you get it running. It's amazing. You may never want a gasser again.

I guess I should be glad to hear that and I am grateful! Still makes me wonder though why it was full of seemingly straight ATF but it doesn't matter at this point. Like I had said though, any idea how many feet and of what diameter fuel hose will I need? At this point, I should be able to get the truck running tomorrow!

stampy

Search for the diameter I don't remember off hand. I would guess about 4-5 feet would be enough. Then you would have some to replace all the old fuel line connections once she runs ;-)

Thank you again Stampy! That ought to get this truck running for sure. Now just to find a well priced transmission to get this thing moving! (given of course that my grandpa is fine with restoring the truck since it is his :) )

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck! It is definitely worth saving! Hopefully you can talk your grandfather into keeping it and letting you restore it. Tell him it'd be a great project for you to cut your teeth on. Tell him all the lessons you can learn by bringing a military vehicle back to life!

My little token of advice for you: replace the fuel filter. Since the truck sat for so many years, you might as well. The last time I bought a filter, it cost me $20. Also, check the air cleaner to make sure nothing climbed up inside and built a nest. You REALLY don't want the engine to start on fire due to a nest bursting into flames. That would be VERY bad.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Stanadyne DB2 injector pump doesn't create enough suction to pull the fuel from a can, thru the filter and to the pump. You will need some type of lift pump to get it going. We will assume that your current pump might still be working.

Here is a diagram from the TM 9-2320-289-20 tech manual (amazing what you can find in the TMs ... ;-) )

lift pump.jpg

a. Combines a low-pressure and a high-pressure fuel delivery system.
(1) Low-pressure fuel delivery system consists of:
(a) Fuel Tank.
(b) Fuel (Lift) Pump. Driven by camshaft. Pulls fuel from fuel tank and sends it
through fuel filter to injector pump.
(c) Fuel Filter. Mounted on bulkhead. Removes sediments and water from fuel
before it reaches injector pump.
(d) Fuel Lines. Connects fuel tank to injector pump.
(2) High-pressure fuel delivery system consists of:
(a) Stanadyne Model DB2 Fuel Injector Pump. Delivers high-pressure fuel
from injector pump to nozzles.
(b) Nozzles. Provide high-pressure fuel to each cylinder.
b. Fuel return system delivers excess fuel from the injector pump and injector nozzles
back to the truck’s fuel tank. Fuel lines provide fuel to and from the fuel tank and injector pump.

The easiest way to get some temporary fuel is to get a gallon of so of diesel, set the can next to the front passenger wheel, unhook the rubber line from the fuel pump (feed from the tank, it is the one with the steel line on the frame rail), hookup the new line and stick it in the fuel can.

The fuel line is 3/8" the frame rail to the pump. Buy enough to run into the can. Some guys will even sit the can in the passenger floorboard. You would need about 10 feet for that.

pump.jpgpump2.jpg

Or you could always get a Mr Gasket Diesel electric fuel pump

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you give us some details on you age, mechanical abilities, etc. Helps us understand how step you thru the process.

Alright. I will be heading out for the truck in about an hour. Thankfully, I have already checked the sir filter and it is very clean all the way into the manifold! On the fuel filter, I cannot seem to figure out where to get one in the few minutes I spent browsing google with a couple different search terms so where would I get one and under what part number? On to rigging up some fuel, it is nice to hear that I need to hook up to the fuel pump before I end up scratching my head for an hour when the engine won't start. It also helps to hear that the fuel line is 3/8" diameter.

On myself, I am just 15 (suprising or not!) though I am 16 in a couple months. I would say that I have a quite decent mechanical knowledge and skill thanks to my Grandpa who has worked on just about anything mechanical under the sun and I am very capable of doing maintenance and minor repairs by myself. I am also very willing to learn. Overall, it helps to have things explained simply and thoroughly because though I can usually figure out how do to something, I want to be sure that what I'm doing is correct and that it will not damage something or hurt me in the process.

I have already figured out the bleeding process thanks to google and this forum but at this point, I had just needed help on where in the world and how to hook up a fuel line! I will have a laptop with me when I go today so once I get the truck running I will probably post such and possibly with more questions.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome young man. !5 was a looong time ago for me. I suspected a young age with some of your questions and responses.

When looking for parts at the local parts house for you truck you will need to ask for parts for a 1984 K30 pickup with the 6.2L diesel. When you need Blazer specific parts ask for 1984 K5 Blazer parts.

The fuel filter is Wix 33136, Fram P3940 or a AC Delco TP1005. At this point there is no need to spend the $25 until you know if the engine will even crank or start.

Thank you for the tips on how to get parts for the truck and what the fuel filter is! Considering that it (the fuel filter) was full of ATF or something, I don't think that the filter is in bad shape.

Is it a bad idea that I want a Deuce by the time I graduate :p?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha. You will be wanting more than a Deuce. You will want a whole motor pool.

You are probably right about that especially since my Grandpa has some land (about 2 acres) with a shop. It also doesn't help that on Friday (since I had no school that day) when I first started working on the M1009, a Deuce drove right by! I was unaware of any in the area and that made me want to run right after it! (especially since that was my first time seeing a Deuce in real life!)

Matt Kahle

Wow your good for being 15 I'm 16 and I have been a member sence I was 15 1/2 when I got my m1009. Keep up the good work and learn all you can about working on trucks. Replace the fuel filter there might be old fuel in the tank. I just saw a paragraph on the web about sluge build up in the tank from aged fuel and algea from water in the fuel. As for a deuce I wouldn't buy a deuce not unless you have the money to up keep the truck I do a lot of jeep work and you would be surprise how many time they need parts (I work on the same ones there lifted though parts brake quicker when lifted). If I were you I would run bio-fuel to save money because they eat fuel fast!. when I get mine I'm going to run bio.

Thanks for the advice Matt! At least for now, the truck is going to be slurping out of a can so no problems there but if this thing is going to go anywhere, that tank is going to be dropped and cleaned! I have definitely heard about the cost it takes to run these things but you gotta have something to blow your money on right :)? Becoming a heavy mechanic will bring in some good bucks anyway!