• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Epic Separation

merlot566jka

jj, Custer Battlefield at Little Big Horn looking that up now. sounds pretty good.

jbingvtx Dead wood sounds great, we are stopping at mt rushmore and camping for a day.

91W350 Devil' s Tower, the Needles, Big Smith Falls, MV Museum at Lexington Nebraska, Pioneer Village at Minden Nebraska.... google is going to get its workout today! I'll keep everyone updated in this thread as I get near thier
area.
hndrsonj Awesome, if we run into trouble, well let ya know!

AMX, hahahaha, get one!! the girls apparently love it fat lady sings

Last edited:

lavarok

How about a nice iphone or evo to take take pics and keep us updated during the week? Sounds like a fun trip.

Enjoy it.... Make it two weeks if you can!

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
You might want to stop at Crazy Horse while you are in the area. You can camp at my place if you want to. I probably have most anything you might need for your deuce.

Last edited:

91W350

You might want to stop at Crazy Horse while you are in the area. You can camp at my place if you want to. I probably have most anything you might need for your deuce.
When it comes to help and sound advice, this guy is as good as you are going to find! He knows those deuces!

merlot566jka

Ian
I have an iPhone and so do the other two passengers, we will also have a GO-PRO for moving deuce videos. and if i can get the parts together, we might have an IR Camera too. this will be well documented!

-M
As soon as I can get google maps to work on these stinkin' ships computers, I will look to see where on the map this cave falls...sounds like a blast. I have been in a few caves, its always cool to see things crowing up from the cround and growing down from the roof! (and unfortunately we will miss Sturgis)

maccus,
Crazy Horse? isnt that by Mt. Rushmore? I dont remember exactly, but I do recall seeing it on the journey! We did intend to camp in that area. Once I am back from this ocean voyage, I will PM you and we can discuss the camping at your place more! Thanks!

91W350,
Good to know!

Xgovernmentagent,
I can still post here, once the network dies down and people are changing from day to night shift. And thanks for the bump!

Well guys I've got 34 more days and I am out of the Navy. 40 Days till the journey begins. I cant wait to meet some folks, do some camping, and leave an Epic footprint 2200 miles long! Keep the suggestions rolling in. If you guys know of spots to aquire WMO, WVO or any other cheap alternative fuel, dont be afraid to share!

Zoyd AT1

Fuel at Hill AFB ? Located near interstates 84 and 15 just above Salt Lake City. Hill's Package store carries full strength 49 state beer, Utah's merchants do not. Stock up while your ID is still valid. You may have to adjust and drink more when you are at rest. SLC has a resaurant called Rodizio's, they serve MEAT! Grilled limitless MEAT. Located at 600south st, 700east st, shopping plaza called Trolley Square. You have to put the truck on the Bonneville Salt Flats, on I80 west of SLC. BTW, Kinnecott Copper mine, a serious US industrial site with some BIG trucks right there too.

If the salt flats aren't Zombie enough how about NORAD at Cheyenne Mountain outside of Colorado Springs, Colorado?

Hearing Protection, Brake light / turn signal bulbs, Flashlights, Fluids (H2O) for a long hot drive.

Good luck, Watch out for civilians, they're Normal.

Zoyd, AT1 USN, ret.

Rustygears

Don't forget an extra set of kidneys and a spare lower back :). 2000 miles in deuce seats will test your faith!

Godspeed and damm the torpedoes (and rice rockets)

Last edited:

merlot566jka

AT1,
Thanks, Ill look into all of that, and the salt flats sound great, we had thought of this earlier in the plan too. I can hit my top speed in the deuce on the highway and still not be breaking any laws... but the Vette that wll be in the bed...thats another story!
(and since youre here, what gear did you work on and what kind of work do you do now....I am in the market for a job ;)

Rusty,
are you navy... cause I think I've heard that phrase before.... minus the rice rockets!

hwcurtice

Ian
I have an iPhone and so do the other two passengers, we will also have a GO-PRO for moving deuce videos. and if i can get the parts together, we might have an IR Camera too. this will be well documented!

-M
As soon as I can get google maps to work on these stinkin' ships computers, I will look to see where on the map this cave falls...sounds like a blast. I have been in a few caves, its always cool to see things crowing up from the cround and growing down from the roof! (and unfortunately we will miss Sturgis)

maccus,
Crazy Horse? isnt that by Mt. Rushmore? I dont remember exactly, but I do recall seeing it on the journey! We did intend to camp in that area. Once I am back from this ocean voyage, I will PM you and we can discuss the camping at your place more! Thanks!

91W350,
Good to know!

Xgovernmentagent,
I can still post here, once the network dies down and people are changing from day to night shift. And thanks for the bump!

Well guys I've got 34 more days and I am out of the Navy. 40 Days till the journey begins. I cant wait to meet some folks, do some camping, and leave an Epic footprint 2200 miles long! Keep the suggestions rolling in. If you guys know of spots to aquire WMO, WVO or any other cheap alternative fuel, dont be afraid to share!
Kinda surprised they let you out sailing so close to your release date... Guess they want to get everything they trained you for, uh?

Crazy Horse is close by Mt Rushmore. Not sure how close though. Designed by the same guy.

Anyway, Stay dry. Thanks for being there.

Have I mentioned that you could store your deuce or 'vette at my place? ;-)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WOW, MACCUS is that old and famous that he is carved in STONE, or just looks like stone ????

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could easily hit the Badlands and Wall drug off of I-90. You can SEE the Black hills from the Badlands on most days, so it's not too far. LOTS of stuff to do around Rapids City. It's especially green around there this year, they've had a lot of rain this year, I just got back from Pine Ridge Reservation last week. An awesome drive. (Although in a minivan)

merlot566jka

Harold
theyre squeezing every last drop out of me! Yeah, I think I remember you saying I could store the Deuce or 'vette at your place... :beer:

hndersonj, awesome, that makes it all easy to get to!

USAFSS, We wont let you down!

John, perfect!

I cant wait to get back to my house to start preparing for this journey!

Thanks folks,
Jonathan Anderson

Detour in Montana!!

Harold
theyre squeezing every last drop out of me! Yeah, I think I remember you saying I could store the Deuce or 'vette at your place... :beer:

hndersonj, awesome, that makes it all easy to get to!

USAFSS, We wont let you down!

John, perfect!

I cant wait to get back to my house to start preparing for this journey!

Thanks folks,
Jonathan Anderson
Thank you for your service Jonathan! Before you get to Billings I would get off I=90 at Columbus, Montana and take the highway U.S. 212 to Red Lodge, Montana.South of Red Lodge is the most scenic highway in the world. It climbs over 10,000 feet into the mountains between Wyoming and Montana. The name of this highway is " The Cook City Highway", also known as "The Beartooth Highway". The following is a quote from Charles Kuralt: "The most beautiful highway in America is U.S. 12, which leaves Red Lodge,climbs to Beartooth Pass at 11,000 feet, and drops down into the northeast entrance of Yellowstone Park".You can go to Cook City and Silvergate and into the park. There are numerous campgrounds throughout the whle area.However when you reach the top you can take a left on the Wyoming-Montana border and drive down the Sunlight Basin also known as the "Chief Joseph Highway" Wyoming Highway 296 to Cody, Wyoming 62 miles away. The Buffalo Bill Museum and the Winchester Gun Museum are both in Cody. I absolutely guarantee you will never regret taking this trip. If you go once you'll go again!!!! It's America at it's best. elkhunter PS: If you need more information please do not hesitate to PM me on this site. Good luck Jonathan!!!!!

Last edited:

mcmullag

suggestions

Spend some time at Yellowstone NP, see the old glory inn next to the geyser. Stop in at Grand Teton NP, stop in at the Lodge there and walk into the lobby area. Stop in at Dornans, they have a causal dining hall there with awesome views of the peaks Dornans in Moose, Wyoming [[ Vacation in Jackson Hole
Stop at Badlands NP, especially cool to look around the rocks there at sunrise or sunset. Have a great trip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks