• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Epic Separation

M1075

Several members here in Edmond and OKC area. Just holla if you need any help or let us know when you are ready to join in on the next Oklahoma Convoy!

A book on the Beartooth Highway!!!

Elkhunter, now that's what I'm talking about!! Think the deuce would make it up there?
Yes, your deuce would make it. What are the tentative dates of your trip and schedule. I can mail you a book on the highway which has pictures and excellent information. All I ask is that you return it to me. I'm sending you a PM and have added you to my contact list. Will send the PM tomite. elkhunter aka Walt

merlot566jka

welding and bolting some d-rings in the bed and using ratchet straps on the vettes recovery points. there are 2 on the front and 2 on the rear. Will have it secured with 4 straps facing forward and 4 straps facing to the rear at angles. it should compress the suspension some keeping it from getting bouncy.

shotgun3030

Try Custer State park near Custer, SD. The most buffalo or bison I have ever seen in one place. The road leading to it is just about the curviest road I ever been on. It actually curls under itself at one point, not sure if a deuce could navigate all the turns though. Very scenic drive. Also North of Custer there was a restaurant called the Fort, had the best cowboy beans and steak.

Last edited:

merlot566jka

Planning is going well. Ive made an excel spreadsheet that has all of the stops, distances, fuel consumption prediction, driving lessons, when SHTF preperation, maps, list of supplies, and first aid refresher.

I've also ordered some more lights for the rear of the trailer so well be seen at night from behind.

Still away from home on the USS Abraham Lincoln so I cannot do any actual work to get ready for the journey. But I have signed my DD214 and I am mostly taken care of on the Navy side of things.

merlot566jka

Stage 1 of the trip starts tomorrow. Picking up my brother from the airport and picking up the M105 with the Deuce.
Work on the deuce and trailer starts this week. As does loading up the truck and trailer. ( still need to find a loading dock or some other clever way to get a lowered corvette into the bed!)
The 29th starts stage 2 with picking up my best friend from the airport and loading up on supplies. Then loading the car up into the bed.

Our drive begins on the 31st! Which is the third and final stage. I can't wait!

Invite when coming thru Montana

Stage 1 of the trip starts tomorrow. Picking up my brother from the airport and picking up the M105 with the Deuce.
Work on the deuce and trailer starts this week. As does loading up the truck and trailer. ( still need to find a loading dock or some other clever way to get a lowered corvette into the bed!)
The 29th starts stage 2 with picking up my best friend from the airport and loading up on supplies. Then loading the car up into the bed.

I believe you'll be coming thru Montana on I-90 probably thru Butte. If your not too much in a rush an invite is extended to you which would only take you 60 miles out of your way, We live outside Helena,MT on Upper Holter Lake (Missouri River). You can stay with us and see some of the sights here. If your schedule doesn't permit you to consider that then good luck on your journey and success in the completion of it. Don't forget to take plenty of pictures. Good luck!!! elkhunter aka Walt

Last edited:

91W350

If you get close to Custer State Park, you owe it to yourself to take in the Needles! It is an awesome place to visit, one of the most scenic drives I have been on. Glen

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The Count-Down Clock is TICKING :jumpin:[thumbzup]

Vaya con Dios :driver: (Go with God!)

merlot566jka

I believe you'll be coming thru Montana on I-90 probably thru Butte. If your not too much in a rush an invite is extended to you which would only take you 60 miles out of your way, We live outside Helena,MT on Upper Holter Lake (Missouri River). You can stay with us and see some of the sights here. If your schedule doesn't permit you to consider that then good luck on your journey and success in the completion of it. Don't forget to take plenty of pictures. Good luck!!! elkhunter aka Walt
Walt,

Thank you for the invitation. I will review our schedule on Monday when the insanity stops around the house. We would certainly like to see everything we can and meet everyone possible!

Night time temperatures

Remember to have handy some warm clothes. Like sweatshirts etc. As every year we will have a nightime temp around freezing by the 15th of Sept. at the latest.
maccus is right on the freezing temps! If you go on the "Beartooth Highway" ( Cook City Highway ) which of course you know by now climbs to 10,000 feet it will be quite cool. Hope you can make a side trip here !! I guess I could meet you in Butte, if you can't fit the trip here in your schedule. My brother in law lives there , so its a good excuse for my wife and I to go and visit him and my sister in law. There are actually some neat things to see in Butte. Hope everything is going well on preparing for your excursion! Stay in touch. Walt aka elkhunter

Have you started your trip merlot566jka ?

Has the epic separation begun ? Good luck to you. Hope everything goes well on your adventure. elkhunter

RIDDLE1

Good luck on your trip!! Looks like you guys should have a blast!

Also, I caught myself reading all of this but I am still lost as to why the Vette is going to be in the back!?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks