• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

Jeepsinker

If you install an exhaust cutout close to the engine end of the system you will have more room to turn up the fuel when you are towing if you open the cutout. It will be louder though of course. The larger, or shorter your exhaust system is the better it keeps the egt down. Just an option for you to consider.

red

Yes, that's where a better turbo helps. Couple years ago the 6.5L diesel guys were having the same issue, stock turbo was the limiting factor. Found a better flowing turbo that helped all the way around (torque, egt's, fuel economy). The multifuel has the same hurdle in my opinion.

Jeepsinker

I agree but it still is true that size and design of he exhaust system has a large impact on gross egt. Every bend in a diesel exhaust acts as a kind of restriction, slowing the flow of gasses and building heat. Did you ever notice how on the factory exhaust the paint would turn red or burn off down on the bottom portion of the J-pipe and at the very top where it makes a slight curve before terminating? I'm not saying that just a better turbo won't do the trick for you, just sharing some info and thoughts that I've had on the subject. And the fact that you ran the exhaust all the way to the rear just amplifies all this. What size pipe did you use again? 5"? You'd probably be ok with that.

red

Agreed, the more bends and restrictions the more heat is retained. The only bends in the exhaust I did are the 3 1/2" bend off the stock turbo (where I changed to a 4") and currently the 90 at the end, which I'm switching to a 45.

The stick turbo is a big restriction.

peashooter

Agreed, the more bends and restrictions the more heat is retained. The only bends in the exhaust I did are the 3 1/2" bend off the stock turbo (where I changed to a 4") and currently the 90 at the end, which I'm switching to a 45.

The stick turbo is a big restriction.
Here is a link to some exhaust stuff Silverstate55 did, I especially like how he routed his exhaust to change the number of bends and reduce EGT. Someday I'd like to copy some of this myself.

red

Yes a cap would work, that's what we do with most of the engines at work (Detroit 60 series, 12v, and similar sized Cat).

Did some work with the mount for the bed winch last night. Tying it into the frame between the bed and the cab, over the cab mount. Will be a tight fit with a 4500 pound winch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks