• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

red

Any noticeable difference running the 15 top/bottom compared to the 10/20? I only did the quick adjustment on the other 5 wheels and (for now) have that drum running on just the one adjuster. Just a quick trip around the block with it like that and the brakes are much improved. Also didn't notice a puddle of brake fluid after stepping on the brakes either.

Agreed Jeepsinker, the question is how much do I want to change the truck from its original look (not much).

red

uploadfromtaptalk1407979638017.jpg

The remote mount reservoir arrived today. Easy install and plenty of hose to mount it wherever you want. I decided the firewall to keep it standard with my other truck. This is what I meant by closing up the master cylinder. Seal the hydraulics, bad engineering to introduce air (the vent) to a hydraulic system.

Checked the other systems before I get the truck inspected, other than needing a new hose clamp for the wipers and installing a license plate light its ready.

Exhaust parts arrived as well. Won't touch that until after inspection.

red

uploadfromtaptalk1408327370117.jpg

Fairly productive weekend. Got the truck inspected Saturday and today finished about half of the exhaust work. Enlarged to a 4" pipe and have it routed between the cab and batteries on the passenger side. Its a tight fit with 4" tubing.

uploadfromtaptalk1408327677403.jpg

Small amount of trimming in the battery bay but not much.

uploadfromtaptalk1408327795902.jpg

Where I stopped for the night.

Jeepsinker

That would be cool to turn it up right there and run the stack up the back corner of the cab like the M135 and M211 had. Would look neat and be a lot less work than running it all the way out the back.

red

True, would look similar to the newer 5 tons with that setup as well. I drove it Monday with the exhaust exiting behind the cab. Tone was a little bit quieter but the turbo was like a banshee good lord haha. Definitely not a good setup. That is without bring it up in a stack, just exiting behind the cab.

Today the flex pipe for the exhaust arrived so I attached it along with the 8' of straight pipe and the muffler. Fired IP the engine and its much quieter now with a little bit of turbo whistle. Revved up to 2000 rpm's and am very happy.

Muffler is a "diamond eye performance", tubing is 4"

red

uploadfromtaptalk1408841986102.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1408842001792.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1408842016280.jpg

Well exhaust is ready. Took it for a drive today without hearing protection, nice upgrade. Used a sound meter app on my phone, reading 69-70db at idle, 78-79 around town with the turbo whistling, and 84-85db cruising at 50mph with both vents and all 4 windows open. That's with the phone sitting next to me on the seat, in line with the transmission shifter.

I'm happy with that. Quiet enough to hear a radio or a conversation, still leaves a fair amount of turbo whistle.

The exhaust is close to the inside rear tires and does transfer some heat to them. When it's upgraded to the super singles it won't be a problem. Does not seem to transfer heat to the fuel tank, put my hand on the tank after driving in a few spots and there was no difference in feel.

With the stack being gone I'm planning to run the intake snorkel there. Make it look similar to the original exhaust.

Jeepsinker

Nice work. Are you concerned that the spring may hit the exhaust under the bed when you get off pavement? And I suppose you are going to turn the exit out the side and run it past the mudflap so you can smoke out some cyclists?:naner:

red

Thank you. Won't know for sure with clearance for about 6-8 weeks when I'm planning to order the 395's, then I'll take it offroad and find out. If it does hit the system is able to move quite a bit because of the 3ft long flex pipe and the hangers.

Hard to tell in the first picture but the 90 degree bend at the end of the exhaust is pointed down just behind the mud flap. I wanted it to go out to the side but would have to raise the exhaust more to clear the mud flap supports. Was told by a friend driving behind me that the truck looks like it farts every now and then hahaha.

red

Thanks. Before I install the power steering I'd like to have the 395's on the truck with MRAP wheels. Those will be on by the end of September if things go according to plan. Then it's time for power steering. Need to locate a steering column I could use, power steering pump, and a fluid reservoir. Is the steering column from a 'gamma goat' the only one that works or are there other options?

Been discussing an expandable shelter with another member for the camper, just have to figure out shipping.

The list of vehicle mods that I'm thinking of:
1. super singles
2. Cab comfort (seats, possible padding, radio)
3. Power steering (have the box)
4. Engine performance/reliability (staying with the multifuel). Turn up fuel and maybe new turbo.
5. Winches front/rear (have 3 available. 18k and 15k electric that need new motors, new mile marker 12k that's 12 volt)
6. Truck mounted storage (tools, parts, fuel)
7. Disk brake upgrade as the brakes wear out. Probably a set of pinion brakes for emergency.

After 1-6 are done then I'll start working on the camper.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a seat option, check out Peashooter's recent post on his build. Lots of those seats floating around, at least around here.

red

Waiting on the two main problems with projects. Time, and money haha. By the end of the month the parts will be here for the 395's upgrade along with some interior stuff.

Going to paint the floorboards/firewall using the BAER paint mixed with the hollow ceramic 'micro beads'. Might even do the inside of the engine bay and the underside of the cab, depending on how much of a pain it is to remove the cab. Does anyone know the paint codes off the top of their head?

Ordered a set of remote fuel filter bases to upgrade/standardize both the primary and secondary filters. I run CAT filters on my 05 duramax, makes it easier and cheaper to order a case of filters for both trucks. The filters were replaced when I bought the deuce 500 miles ago (straight diesel fuel, no mix). Might be driving the truck to pick up the wheels/tires in a few weeks so I'd like to do this upgrade before I leave.

red

So, the wheels and tires are delayed until mid October. Other than a drive through flooded streets a few weeks ago not much to report.

Removed the front bumper to get it ready to be flipped for mounting a front winch. The paper clips were cut off today and Im having a hard time deciding whether to fill in the marks on the front bumper to smooth it out, or just paint over them. Opinions?

uploadfromtaptalk1412038337038.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412038349548.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412038362403.jpg

red

Agreed not difficult and I have a welder. My wondering (and this might be the beer thinking haha) is if it adds character to it. The bumper will be modified for the electric winch anyways.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks