• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What was I thinking?!?!?

PoppaSmurph

Well, I bought a Deuce...lol the remains of one. I was told it was 1957 and it ran and drove. Well went down one state line and two mountain passes to pick her up. Yikes 1952, RIO 331 OA-331 straight six under the hood. Well holy smokes, she fired up and drove onto the trailer, but i'm not sure how. Ok now this is my problem....she needs wiring LOTS of it, a rear main seal BADLY.....and gotta rebuild the cab....everything is so
neglected it makes me cry. I'm up for the job, just could use some pointers as to where to source out the old RIO parts.
Thanks.
Deuce.jpegDuece number.jpeg

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
............... just could use some pointers as to where to source out the old RIO parts.
Congrats to your acquisition - a real classic, and it's even a winch truck!
Hard to tell (from your downsized pic) what it's real condition is, but overall it looks good enough to me, to be worth saving.

Everything on it can still be restored, I'd say to as-good-as-new condition. It only depends on your will and patience (and maybe the depth of your pockets, as well...;-))

If you search for "M35 gasser" there are lots of threads to read - and learn from... Here is just one: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?136562-1952-M35-Gasser-repair-and-build

See this thread for engine & parts. White Owl in Kinston, NC would be my first choice.

As for the wiring harness, read here...

And before replacing the whole cab, it's typically just the rocker panels and door post area that needs some attention:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?68677-M35-rocker-panel-repair

G.

PoppaSmurph

Ok so update on my progress with the old girl, Brakes shot all the way around, forward rear drive axle bad, and engine main bearings deteriorated so bad that when pulled one to size and inspect it swelled up and seized the engine. Its been awhile since I posted so I figured I would post some new pictures and show ya how she's coming along visually any way.20191020_174047.jpgPaid for and secured, gotta go get a tow vehicle now.Loaded up heading home.jpgLoaded up andheading home!! Poor Dodge!!!
20191027_115617.jpgHere she is...home!!! 460 mile trip no issues
20200315_181854.jpg
Finished doing the frame cut for the BOB.
Finishing the frame close up.jpgFinishing up the rear brakes, wiring and putting the rear frame cross member.Finished the BOB.jpg
Ok new tires on, bed on, mudflaps needed.

PoppaSmurph

Ok so update on my progress with the old girl, Brakes shot all the way around, forward rear drive axle bad, and engine main bearings deteriorated so bad that when pulled one to size and inspect it swelled up and seized the engine. Its been awhile since I posted so I figured I would post some new pictures and show ya how she's coming along visually any way.View attachment 795944Paid for and secured, gotta go get a tow vehicle now.View attachment 795949Loaded up andheading home!! Poor Dodge!!!
View attachment 795945Here she is...home!!! 460 mile trip no issues
View attachment 795946
Finished doing the frame cut for the BOB.
View attachment 795947Finishing up the rear brakes, wiring and putting the rear frame cross member.View attachment 795948
Ok new tires on, bed on, mudflaps needed.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a lucky truck. With that list you gave out most folks would have parked it in a field. When I saw the first picture I thought the hood looked straight and that'd be enough for me to drag it home. Another truck with a chance to haul humans, nice work.

What did you do for the engine? The whistler sounds like this in the snow.

PoppaSmurph

Nice sounding ride!!!! Ya the hood is straight, the winch works, I do have an engine a few thousand miles away that I'm gonna swap into her and it is a REO, I'm looking at trying to get the wiring back is working shape as well.

dmetalmiki

You know what?, You have a (Somewhat) rare truck there, and as mentioned WELL worth saving and restorinjg.
When, And as you do the restoration, Put the truck back to orriginal, (And), Save money by throwing away the twin rear 'civy' wheels and tires, And fit it with singles. (Big or otherwise!).
You then have have the true makings of an early representative type M45.
The Vehicle you have is neither a 'RIO' or 'REO', it is in fact a Studebaker M45.
They were fitted with 1100x20 singles, "A-La' Rambo".

PoppaSmurph

Yes I'm finding out that it kind of unique, but I can't put her back to original now, I have BOBBED the frame and removed the damaged axle, the trailer I used for the bed is a 1954 so same era is kinda cool. Evrerything thing else I am going to be trying to keep original. Here is the original tag.20191020_164743.jpg

PoppaSmurph

Ok well had the engine lock up after I dropped the pan to examine the crank bearings (looking for my low oil pressure issue) and had to replace the crank bearings. All of them were standard size with date stamps of 1 52. Wow guess they might have been original. Back together now and up and running well.20200415_073822.jpg20200415_073839.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks