Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: MEP-003A hook up question

4 Star General
    Thanks

May I ask why you unhooked your isolated ground for the generator head? In the picture you took of the ground stud, you have it disconnected and wrapped in electrical tape. I believe that really needs to be connected back to the ground stud, on the frame.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamawieb View Post
    May I ask why you unhooked your isolated ground for the generator head? In the picture you took of the ground stud, you have it disconnected and wrapped in electrical tape. I believe that really needs to be connected back to the ground stud, on the frame.
    Wish I could explain it properly, but it's explained earlier in this thread several times. I have a "non separately dirived system" and it said to unhook the neutral bond at the frame. The frame is still grounded by the wire that runs thru the house ground to the house grounding rod
    Last edited by two.fiveM35; 03-30-2016 at 23:27.
    1970 M35A2
    M105A2
    M149A2
    M101A1
    M101A2
    MEP-003A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yco1d...e_gdata_player

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dependable View Post
    Anyone who is buying and using these generators should get help from real electrician if they are not sure of what they are dealing with when hooking to grid.
    Some electricians don't know the ins and outs of grounding. When we finished our basement we had a sub-panel installed next to the main panels. The electrician bonded neutral to ground in the sub-panel and didn't run a ground wire from the main panel. I did a lot of reading on grounding and fixed it myself in about five minutes.

The electrician did know enough not to mix the neutrals and grounds on the bus bars of the sub-panel. Had he mixed them it would have been a nightmare to correct.

4 Star General
    Thanks

^^^ Nice partial post quote form 4 years ago! And yes, it is possible to get a lousy electrician, so it is good to know your own equipment.

Private
    Thanks

I just picked a MEP-003A, I understand the hook up that Coyotegray posted (great info). I am getting the correct voltage. I understand you need to increase the throttle to get 60HZ. My gauge stays to the far right 65HZ whether I have it at low idle or high. Any idea why the HZ will not adjust? I don't what to over feed my house. Mt throttle will effect the voltage out put but not the HZ. Hoping it is nothing more than a bad gauge.

3 Star General
    Thanks

Put a meter that reads frequency on it. You can get cheap volt/frequency meters online that you can use to upgrade from the original.

Private
    Thanks

Thanks, I will see if my meter reads HZ, Are you saying to read it on the back of the existing gauge? can you suggest a place to get a new gauge online if that is the problem. We might have a storm coming to So. Florida and I want to be prepared.

3 Star General
    Thanks

I use something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/KETOTEK-Voltm.../dp/B01D891MHO

You should just read the output to get accurate frequency. Some gens have a sender and a meter that reads the signal sent from the sender so you may not get an accurate reading from the back of the gauge. You can look at the schematic to tell. IIRC, the MEPs have senders but I may not be correct on this.
    You may first look to fix the existing frequency meter but you may soon find it more expensive than just adding an easy to read, inexpensive, modern digital volt and frequency meter.

In general:
    Engine RPM determines frequency.
    Voltage can be adjusted with a knob.

Some of this stuff is 50s-60s technology. Adding a modern gauge can be a good thing.
    Last edited by derf; 08-27-2019 at 09:46.

Thanks

Clean your gauge connectors, could just be cruddy connections. Electronic parts spray works wonders on several switches.
    Mep 831a, MEP 803a

Private
    Thanks

I am going to see if I can find something like this locally any ideas what type of store would have this? With the possibility of a Storm coming to Florida I want to run my house without damaging anything. What am I looking for on the schematic, IIRCV could you explain.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast