• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camper M109 - Spacial Transformations style

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some Upgrades

Hotbox - Thanks, though I'm not sure, because of your avatar, if you are serious or not . :)

Once again I'm in that "summer pre-departure" overload. Been working on some of the latest upgrades.

First the step-tank as mounted (noticed that I didn't have any posted that were post install)
12-05-13 (6).jpg

Then I took a roadside rest, on my `Zona Solo" trip, so that I could "upgrade" the Rad & Waterpump. Now She has a Rad that doesn't leak, and a Waterpump w/ bearings, . . . He!! of an "Upgrade" they work so much better now ;)

Hearing a drive-train paced thumping as vital fluids sprayed back onto the cab's view-port left me w/ a sick feeling.Once stopped I could tell that it was a gutted heat-exchanger, . . . the Rad was dumping the last of it's fluid on the ground.
Quick, I grabbed 5 gal off the rack and caught the last couple gals by opening the petcock. Never waste liquid out here in the dez.

12-05-22 (8).jpg12-05-22 (9).jpg 12-05-22 (10).jpg

Waiting hours, till that burning day-star moved behind the ridge, I pulled the affected parts.
Now to move her, as short a distance as poss. I like to choose my "multi-day" breakdown spots ;)

12-05-22 (11).jpg 12-05-22 (12).jpg 12-05-22 (13).jpg

Earlier in the day a sheriff had recommended the "No Camping" pull-off not that far behind me.
In front of me was a bridge, and no turn-around space on the far side . . . or as far as I could see . . . To either side of me were the walls of a DOT mini canyon, the kind that get made when they cut through a small ridge.

I scouted around a bit and figured I could turn her around not that far in front of me, right her in the mini canyon. Dodge some bigger ditch rocks, get one front wheel part way up the side, turn hard to the left . . . I THINK she'll make that w/o getting the back axles up . . . much.
Worst case I'll still be able to jack-knife the trailer a bit in a three-point turn :whistle:

She makes it! Hardly a challenge.

Now safely encamped above the lake, among the blooming saguaro, I install her upgrades (Thank you Castle Bravo!)

12-05-22 (20).jpg 12-05-23 (2).jpg 12-05-23 (3).jpg

That was a couple months ago, Next; the current Upgrades

Barneyszoo

Hey, Wolf is that the truck you guys brought to dirt bag? Thats some nice work! Was in your hood a few weeks ago 29 Palms. next time ill stop and check out your set up.
Phil

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BarneysZ - yes it is, Thanks :)

If you're going to drive by that close, . . . you do need to stop.

hotbox

Mine Rad is out and being repaired too. Mine sprung a leak one block from my shop. Lucky! The jack leg a hole that worked on my truck left something in the shroud. When i bounced through the intersection my fan picked it up. I am fixing every little problem with my deuce so i don't get stranded like you. It Sucks!

hotbox

That looks like the fuel tank on my 88 International. I'm putting duel tanks on all my trucks, to add range. I run them all on WVO. 100 gallons will get me far without costing $ !

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What'z up with the second alternator or ac compressor?
It's a dual-alt set-up, 24v & 12v. The 12volt supplies power to batts for the living space. No dead starting batts after an extended stay somewhere, even when we have the music & lights on all night, . . . for days ;)

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now some of the latest Upgrades,

We had been having some probs w/ the cab-over rack, mostly that we did NOT have enough clearance between the hardtop and the framing of the rack. It was also starting to sag some in the middle, adding to prob #1.
This was the perfect time to do some of those changes, we were going to be adding framing for a solar panel anyway.
12-06-29 (0).jpg
We started by making a frame to hold the panel itself,
12-06-29 (3).jpg 12-06-29 (12).jpg

then the framing that would hold the "panel frame" between the rails.
12-06-29 (5).jpg 12-06-29 (6).jpg 12-06-29 (10).jpg 12-06-29 (13).jpg

As you can see we had also "roof coated" the top w/ some mobile home roof-coat. Between the roof-coat, and the long term plans to rack most of the space between the rails as a "tropical roof", we would cut down on our "solar gain" through the ceiling.

(note: that's not me in the photos, that's our buddy up on the mountain . . . metal worker, instrument builder, MV extraordinaire, collector of old things ;)

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While we were up there we cut out the cab-over part of the rack. We moved it up about 4" and welded it back in place. We then added supports between the rear of the floor in the center, and the rails on the sides.
12-06-29 (11).jpg 12-06-30 (1).jpg 12-06-30 (2).jpg

Now it looks like this, and it's way more rigid when we walk on it :)
12-07-13 (9).jpg 12-07-13 (10).jpg

The finished solar set-up,
12-07-13 (7).jpg 12-07-18 (1).jpg 12-07-18 (5).jpg

A little bit of wiring and we are almost shore-power free.
12-07-18 (3).jpg

Last edited:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You got a/c it that rig???
No, and I personally wouldn't waste power on it. We're doing ok in triple digit temps by parking the rig pointed the right way, shading the roof, putting out our 12'x12' canvas shade on the southside (off the rail), running some dc fans, . . . and the occasional wet shirt (sometimes on my head :) )
We also pack hammocks that we can string between the trucks, and/or trailer, under the shade.
And we DON"T have any cooling for the cabs, just some fat-mat and the windshield open one notch. (in fact on the little Draggin' the driverside window is jacked and I can't put it down, . . . or it stays)

If I was going to up grade our cooling it would be a more modern vers of the "wet shirt".

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the battery plan..? Are the solar battery's separate from the truck battery..? My plan is to cut a hole in the floor dead center between the frame and lower a 24v gell cell forklift battery and mount it. The charge controller would keep that battery charged and when its fully charged to 28.5 constant the diverter load would be a block heater to keep Mr. Multi-fuel warm. Then run a 24v inverter to all the 120/240v power requirements.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good, how much dc charge do you get from the panel?
The panel has been maxing at just over 32v.

What's the battery plan..? Are the solar battery's separate from the truck battery..? My plan is to cut a hole in the floor dead center between the frame and lower a 24v gell cell forklift battery and mount it. The charge controller would keep that battery charged and when its fully charged to 28.5 constant the diverter load would be a block heater to keep Mr. Multi-fuel warm. Then run a 24v inverter to all the 120/240v power requirements.
They are separate and we already have been using them from back when we first added the duel alts. Unlike the kick a$$, high tech / high cost (at least for us) stuff that you do ;), we just have a couple 6v interstates wired as a 12v. Right now they are on the rack, but they will get moved down behind the LP tank (where the spare used to be) at some point :roll:
We're keeping the living area 12v for ease of parts. There's not much that we need power for, lights, music, fans, charging the laptops & phones, a fridge (coming), and almost nothing that we need 120v for. We do have a small inverter if needed.
A life time of off-grid living has kept me from getting things that need such power, . . . I hardly know when the power goes out ;)

FatBuddhaBoo

A life time of off-grid living has kept me from getting things that need such power, . . . I hardly know when the power goes out ;)
Man, I can only dream of being able to do this! Certainly something I would enjoy...but the wife and kids probably wouldn't adapt as easily, if at all.

I like the work you've done on She-Beast. I'll use it as inspiration for my M109 when i get one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks