• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camper M109 - Spacial Transformations style

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now it was time to get rid of the cooler, . . . no more looking for some place to get ice, or draining the water out of things that should NOT have made it down to the bottom, . . . dealing w/ moldy experiments when the cool leaves and we're still days from an ice vender. That's right, we're cutting the last umbilical cord that keeps us running back to some vender for supplies twice every 7 days.

This is what I'm pulling out (just the section under the stove top).
10-08-14_ (5).jpg

Started by having a frame made to hold the new unit, then I mounted it on 500lb locking slides. I picked "full extension" 20" even though the unit is only 18" deep. That will give us the ability to pull it all the way out from under the counter for loading.
12-07-13 (0).jpg 12-07-13 (2).jpg

Being that it does stick out farther than the counter by a few inches, I made it so that there is room for our feet to go under it. Didn't want to have to lean over when cooking :)
It's also spaced 4" from the wall behind it. That will let me fill that space w/ foam board, still leaving an air channel of 4" going to the air intake.
12-07-13 (11).jpg

Next will be getting the insulation in behind it and on the floor under it.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that a propane fridge? Jim
Nope, AC / DC 12 or 24. We'll run it off DC most of the time. No need to be level, I think it's rated @ 1 amp draw (would have to look again), fridge/freezer. It's the style that the "expo" people have been using :)

shenkmen

Nope, AC / DC 12 or 24. We'll run it off DC most of the time. No need to be level, I think it's rated @ 1 amp draw (would have to look again), fridge/freezer. It's the style that the "expo" people have been using :)
What's the make and model of your fridge?

Thanks much.

zout

Gotta tell ya LOW - you da man.

How about running that piece o junk over here to the Georgia Rally and having some fun with the rest of us knucklead 109 owners - we about own the lowland now anyhow and we can find room for you.

We have some obsticals called trees you are not use to when off roading - but it looks like you learn fast.

Great Job and great workmanship.
its a pleasure viewing your build and extravaganza.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
12v / 24v fridge

What's the make and model of your fridge?

Thanks much.
Man. That's amazing !!! Only 1 amp draw ??? What do that set you back ? I'd like more details on that too please. Thanks, Jim
That's how they rate it on their spec sheet. Now that I've got it wired in to the 12v I can see the draw, it draws around 4.6-4.7 and then drops to nothing. It runs in cycles like that. Don't know the timing of the cycles, or how temps affect the cycles yet. Will know more on that as we use it.
It's a EdgeStar FP 861 (not the top of the line name, but not the worst) 83 quart.
it's spec'd at 1A, 80W.

Cost - could ALMOST get a 4 set of 385's at a good deal, could def get 3

59apache

Chipmaker
sound logical....115V 0,7A 80 W, 12V 6,6A 80W.... more interresting than the temporarily draw is overall consumption.....and that is dependent on the room temperatur, how often you open it, the estimated temperature in the fridge and the quality of the insulation of the fridge. a chest is better than a vertical open fridge, cause the cold air stays in while it is open.....

maybe you can help the fridge with an opening to the outside and small fan (an old PC fan) that pulls the warm air out.

it is for shure a very fine fridge! and a very clever way to mount it.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday while working in the truck I noted this,
I have the unit set at 50deg, which means it cools down to 47deg and waits till 52deg to start again.
The inside temp was reading 105.
It would run for about 7 mins to reach the low of 47deg,
it then took about 25 mins to warm 5degs and would start again.
During the run time it would avg about 4.6, but I did see it get to 5.9 at one point (just for a moment)

This is w/o having insulated the space that that it lives in, or adding a axill fan (which I'm planing on)

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotta tell ya LOW - you da man.

How about running that piece o junk over here to the Georgia Rally and having some fun with the rest of us knucklead 109 owners - we about own the lowland now anyhow and we can find room for you.

We have some obsticals called trees you are not use to when off roading - but it looks like you learn fast.

Great Job and great workmanship.
its a pleasure viewing your build and extravaganza.
Zout, must say that's quite a complement coming from you. I do remember the days when there was a build thread by someone that was building on TWO at the same time, a very impressive thread! Then the holocaust happened and much inspiration and knowledge was lost to us. Those that read every post of that build are now considered sages, and have the only known surviving info on what went right & what went wrong. I've even heard that there are some that are dedicating their lives to finding any surviving bits of data from that time.

Running our entire caravan to the eastern coast is not out of our realm, we just need to have several fueling locations staged along the route. Being that we live short of credits our fuel is all harvested in true Hunter/ Gatherer fashion, resulting in long slow travels :)
Trees are not a myth to me, having started my nomadic travels less than a day's ride south of you and spending many years traveling that side of the Great River, I've dodged my share of them, . . . sure do like those live oaks for camping.

We are def honored by your willingness to welcome us into your tribal camp at that gathering, Thank you!

zout

When you say tribal - you have no idea how vicious we get come dinner time.
Don;t get caught taking a nap at the GA Rally otherwise all we can do is point to WHO it WAS.

That truck you speak of may come to its demise possibly if I can get my paws on am M931A2- box will be coming off and getting transplanted with a whole nother fab job to it - then the rest of the truck sold as is. Time will tell on this one. No pics or thread will be started when and if I take it on here at the house.

Attachments

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i don't mean the insulation around the fridge...the internal insulation. pulling the warm air away (and out of the truck) is a good idea, i think so.

look at this : Sundanzer Solar Refrigerators and Freezers | Sundanzer.com 110mm insulation.....
59, I understand and agree. I'm just adding to the insulation by making an insulated space that it slides into. As far as the air flow, they are made so that the air flow exits on the side that the lid opens on. Right, it blows into the rig. They require 4" "behind", between the wall of the truck and the back of the fridge for air intake. The right-side also has some air intake space, but the main one is behind.

So my plan is to insulate it on the left-side and along the back, till it gets to the air intake, w/ 4" foam. I'll then make a channel that runs the right-side and around the corner to the back intake. Then add a case fan at the front end of that channel to "ram" air into it if needed. I'm guessing that it won't be needed (just from the amount of heat that it gens while we are triple digits, not a lot) but it's a cheap addition.

59apache

Chipmaker
i'm not shure, but i think that don't works....a fridge need space and air around it to work properly. youn need air inlet and outlet....the compressor gets warm....maybe it dies from heat in an insulatedt box?

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i'm not shure, but i think that don't works....a fridge need space and air around it to work properly. youn need air inlet and outlet....the compressor gets warm....maybe it dies from heat in an insulatedt box?
It does work and has been done before. I have not blocked any air flow, that's what the "channel" is about. It allows air to get to all the intakes, and the exit blows toward us. If the "intake" is not getting enough air, we can use the case fan to push air to the intake (kind of like a turbo, only using electric instead of exhaust gas)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I agree with Zout, you guys should try to make it to the rally at least once. It would be good to meet some more members on the site. I love seeing peoples ingenuity in person.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been on our summer "road trip" (maybe I'll start a thread on that ;) ) and not really had time to update the build.
Here's some more of what was done,

The fridge in it's final, non-insulated floor, state.
P7270007.jpg P7270008.jpg

To make up for some of the space that we lost upgrading to the fridge I started our upper shelf / exhaust hood. It comes from the same slab that made the kitchen counter, in fact the end cut still matches to the counter.
P7260005.jpg P7270012.jpg

Had a couple divider / supports made by the man that does most of our metal work. The copper tube has all thread going through it into the roof rib.
I did a quick front edge & netting to keep it all in,
P8160001 (2).jpg P8160006.jpg

Now it was time for some lights.

tamangel

maybe this has been asked before, but your avatar pic shows seemingly, alot of frame flex..was the box mounted differently from stock to provide for articulation? or maybe just the photo angle..nice workmanship..

Mike W

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks