• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camper M109 - Spacial Transformations style

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
maybe this has been asked before, but your avatar pic shows seemingly, alot of frame flex..was the box mounted differently from stock to provide for articulation? or maybe just the photo angle..nice workmanship..

Mike W

It's the stock mounting, and yes it flexes pretty good. That's why we had to move the cab-over rack up higher, we were denting in the corners of the hard top. Now we have about 4" clearance on the corners, . . . and someday I'll do something about those dents :|

Here's another one w/ her flexing, . . . and leaning :shock:
11-01-30_ (13).jpg 11-01-30_ (14).jpg

rassd71

I love seeing people doing what I've been planning! Now if I can just wrangle the funds to get started. LOW, I especially love that you DO it rather than simply throw money at it!

Looking forward to more follow ups on your adventure with SheBeast and other projects.

I am curious, you mentioned early on mounting a portable toilet to get it registered as an RV, I'm also in SoCal, what did you have to have done to get the registration switched over and what was that process like?

Take care,
Robert aka rassd71

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love seeing people doing what I've been planning! Now if I can just wrangle the funds to get started. LOW, I especially love that you DO it rather than simply throw money at it!

Looking forward to more follow ups on your adventure with SheBeast and other projects.

I am curious, you mentioned early on mounting a portable toilet to get it registered as an RV, I'm also in SoCal, what did you have to have done to get the registration switched over and what was that process like?

Take care,
Robert aka rassd71
Thanks for the appreciation.

Getting it changed over was pretty easy out here. We started w/ just reg'ing it as "Historic", then I spent some time trying to track down a list of "what is required" to be an RV. After a few failed attempts at getting some real list I made my own. I figured if we had a place to sleep, a place to store clothes, potable water tanks & a sink, a stove & food storage space, and a toilet, I pretty much had it covered.
I had been told many times that they would have to "check it" before they would change the title. For us, the clerk never left his chair and just re-titled it. I'm not going to guess that everyone will be so lucky ;)

Hope it works as easy for you when it comes your turn :)

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lights

It was time to finely get some lights that weren't AA powered, magnetic, lights. Now that we had a solar panel & good charge controller it was time to start wiring some of the lights that we'd been packing around, . . . just waiting for mounting surfaces to get built and a good distribution center to get started.
We were wanting to stay w/ the copper & brass theme, and I didn't want to run all the wires in the walls, so I started w/ a cheap copper pan that I could use as an offset, ground off the handles, cut out the bottom and mounted the lights using it as a spacer.
P7270009.jpg P7290018.jpg P7290019.jpg

I then ran copper tubing from the distro center along the walls and to the lights. The end result looked like this,
P8160002.jpg P8160003.jpg P8160004.jpg P8160005.jpg

I will be running out the other side on that exhaust hood light to wire the fan.

goldneagle

It was time to finely get some lights that weren't AA powered, magnetic, lights. Now that we had a solar panel & good charge controller it was time to start wiring some of the lights that we'd been packing around, . . . just waiting for mounting surfaces to get built and a good distribution center to get started.
We were wanting to stay w/ the copper & brass theme, and I didn't want to run all the wires in the walls, so I started w/ a cheap copper pan that I could use as an offset, ground off the handles, cut out the bottom and mounted the lights using it as a spacer.
View attachment 360825 View attachment 360826 View attachment 360827

I then ran copper tubing from the distro center along the walls and to the lights. The end result looked like this,
View attachment 360828 View attachment 360829 View attachment 360830 View attachment 360831

I will be running out the other side on that exhaust hood light to wire the fan.
Looks cool! I hope you reamed the ends of those copper tubing real good before you ran the wire inside. Otherwise it may get nicked from vibrations and short out. Very expensive conduit but pretty!

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the stuff you are putting on the floor in the picture?
I'm guessing that you mean in the beginning? That would be some basic wood filler. There were gaps between the floor planks from 30+ years of drying. I wouldn't recommend it. It's too hard and cracks from all the movement.

zout

LowTech - absolutely awesome build Bro.
The most fun is just getting out in it - working out the bugs - what works for some does not work well for others. I guess the Chineese call it CHIA - making stuff fit the way it works for you.

It never ends because your moving stuff - adding stuff - and it all comes together.:beer:

peashooter

And, the pride & joy, a fold down porch mounted to the M105. When we traveled w/ the trailer behind her truck before we discovered that you can't use the ladder when the trailer is connected. You have to walk on the hoses and landing gear to get up or down. So this was the fix.
View attachment 270084 View attachment 270085
LowTech, how has this fold down Porch worked for you? Have you made any changes or improvments to it at all or left it as is? I'd like to do something similar at some point so I dont need to constantly disconnect the trailer or step on the hoses.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LowTech, how has this fold down Porch worked for you? Have you made any changes or improvments to it at all or left it as is? I'd like to do something similar at some point so I dont need to constantly disconnect the trailer or step on the hoses.
We love it! Right now we are moving it to another trailer, that 105 is getting the rusted bed pulled and becoming a dolly.
If I did it again, . . . I'd figure the "jackknife angle" and make it more than the triangle that we made. W/ ours being just a triangle there's often a bit too much gap between the back of the truck box & the front edge of the "porch", not at the point but just to the side of it. Could be a bit of a disaster for someone not paying attention.
I'd also move the ladder mounts on the side of it closer to the trailer. Sometimes when we stop w/ a bit of a turn to the DS our ladder is too close to the box. And I would add ladder mounts on the PS for those rare times when we're just turned too far to use the DS easily.

P6240553.jpg

Welder Sam

In case i havent said it, the pics are great but when you actually walk into this, you really appreciate whats been done and how it was accomplished. Awesome rig and i say that with first hand exp.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Low Tech,

If your travels get anywhere close to Maricopa or Gila Bend or Casa Grande, AZ get in touch ahead of time and we might kibbutz a bit.

There are lots of motorhome-related MV parts here with your name on them.

Dennis

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
We love it! Right now we are moving it to another trailer, that 105 is getting the rusted bed pulled and becoming a dolly.
If I did it again, . . . I'd figure the "jackknife angle" and make it more than the triangle that we made. W/ ours being just a triangle there's often a bit too much gap between the back of the truck box & the front edge of the "porch", not at the point but just to the side of it. Could be a bit of a disaster for someone not paying attention.
I'd also move the ladder mounts on the side of it closer to the trailer. Sometimes when we stop w/ a bit of a turn to the DS our ladder is too close to the box. And I would add ladder mounts on the PS for those rare times when we're just turned too far to use the DS easily.

View attachment 436103
Put another triangle piece on there to make it square/rectangular with a hinge. You can fold it into a triangle for on the road and fold it out for camping.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks