• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lansing MI M818

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seem to have won an M818 in Lansing today. Event 5374 lot 5605.

Did anyone preview the M818's in today's auction?(I didn't!)

I'm looking for any info, or someone to go look at the truck before My EUC/Paid invoice, to help me decide what my best recovery strategy should be.

Maybe someone nearby, can help? Maybe someone nearby is interested in getting it for me(depending on it's condition) and storing it short term.

Anybody want to drive an M818 to NY?(all expenses paid of course)

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

mikeroot2

I won one today too. I will be going out there early next week to recover a mep003a I won back on 5/13/10(EUC just cleared). I can check yours and mine out then. Preacherboy is going out there tomorrow. PM him and I'm sure he'll check yours out too. I can help you get it off site and even store at my place for a while if needed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a sweet looking ride you got there Eric. Congrats. If you need any help you know how to get in touch with me.

citizensoldier

hmmm --- road trip to NY in an M818. >> sounds like fun. You up for a road trip Lane?

:grd:
I already volunteered. Lets do it Dr Dave! Plus I have "seem to have won" stuff strung out from Ohio to New York we can stop and get on the way back. Wish the M1009 would pull more we could tow bar it out and drive it back hauling and pulling my junk but I don't think it could handle the load. Hmmm.. Lets put some shackle mounts on that Ford of yours!

citizensoldier

Oh and did I mention the two other M818's that need to go to NY? I think they liked our fancy paint jobs better than the Ft Drum ones? Must be the 10th Mountain Division is to hard on stuff so they opted for the 1073rd Transportation.:grd::beer::shock: Now what have I done!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spoke with Glenn this am. We are considering flying out and convoying back to NY(3 M818 ). One concern we both had is, we would like to have a tow bar along for the trip. Sending one out Pre-trip, might be cost preventative.

Now, if you 2 drove 2 trucks here and tow bared one, that would solve the tow bar issue!

Do either of you two have a trailer that could be towed behind one of the M818s, with your pickup truck on? Then you could tow the trailer back and pick up Lane's breadcrumb trail.

Just another thought...

Last edited:

citizensoldier

I wish I did that's a great Idea! We need to make one of those! I only have one tow bar and use it on a daily basis or you could take mine and I get it when I come visit. Hmmm.. It will work out one way or another. Don't you have a 20 MPG M1009? Flying is for sissies! :mrgreen: But if your going to fly into Flint you can get Charter flights for cheap.. well.. used to be able to anyway.. Divide your tow bar up and stow it in the overhead!:grin: just don't say BOMB!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 12 mpg M1008 and a 7mpg Silverado(towing my trailer loaded).

I could drive out with your trailers(here now) and put my truck on my trailer and tow that behind the M818(then I could bring along my tow bar). That's one option.
Looks like flying is almost the same cost as driving.

citizensoldier

Well if you bring my junk I can help you with fuel.. Is Syphorith along the way? If you get my motor I will help you even more with fuel. You need a M1009! Well just keep me posted and I will help with what I can. What's Glenn have for driving? Anything like a Duramax or 6BT that will do better than 7MPG? If driving is the same price you will at least have all your tools, fluids, dog treats and goodies you will need.. and fill your truck and trailer with purchases along the way.:beer:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got like 14.8 mpg with my dodge diesel, towing a 20k capacity trailer with DC3's R-2 air drag on it... Sounds like you need a cummins in something (other than the tug) Eric!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a dmn fine looking 818! I just finished up my Deuce, I NEED TO FIGHT THE 5 ton URGE/sickness, I think I need therapy?
KK

Preacherboy

It is a sweet looking truck! Has some kind of foam insulation on the floor and firewall, and I know it runs good because they were using it to move around some trailers a guy was picking up!

Whatever further help you need between me and Mikeroot and 13mike we should be able to recover and store them.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you Preacherboy(and all who have offered help). I will proceed accordingly.

Oh, I will call Joe on Monday and ask them to Service and top it off with fuel, if they are going to use it, now that the sale is over and my CC has been billed.:?

From the pics, I figured it looked recently used, I never figured it was currently being used (today)!

Last edited:

Preacherboy

I really think GL knows which ones run and which ones don't and which ones will start without a jump because here they where using yours and in PA Mike jumped in a truck, started it up and drove around to slave mine.

I'm sure this sort of thing happens all over the place. Whether it is right and fair or not is questionable...but all in all Joe is a good guy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks