• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lansing MI M818

citizensoldier

They should not be using a truck already sold for such things it no longer belongs to them. They have many to choose from that have not been sold yet. At all the other yards I have visited they use a truck that has not yet been sold or is a yard truck kept back for such things.
I bet they have not checked any fluids and could be doing some major damage to dogheads truck. I have heard of a few coming through Lansing with all fluids drained! 2cents

LanceRobson

Eric, some food for thought.

If my schedule allows I 'll go with you. The only two things coming up are the "Odessa Event" WWII re-enactment (9-12 Sep.), where Ed King and I go as vendors of WWII collectibles, and the Gilbert show. Oh, I have a meeting of the NYS Conservation Fund Advisory Board on the 13th, in Albany.

My M1009 gets 22 MPG on the highway. We could take that and strap a tow bar to the brush guard. Or, we could haul either your or my pioneer with with my big wheelbarrow air compressor, tools and POL. My pioneer trailer is on the road.... We could flat tow the M1009 and put the trailer behind a tractor. The trailer has 12V lamps but I could bring the 24V lamps, too.

There's a lot to be said for having tools and some high demand spare parts.

Glenn could leave one or both trucks here for as long as needed (who'd notice?) I promise not to drive 'em more than...err...daily.

Lance

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like Joe(Lansing GL guy) is not gonna be on location for 2 weeks. I guess that means I have time for my EUC to go through(Glenn has his PIF invoice) and catch up with Glenn.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received a PIF invoice today! (13 days, not bad).

I called Joe at Lansing today. He said the soonest the truck can be picked up is on the 14th(Tues) or 17th(Fri). I told him that Glens 2 M818s need to get picked up also.(hope to get all three over to TedG's place).

It looks like Glenn and I and the third guy(don't recall his name) will be able to get out there on the 24th(Fri evening). We hope to have them picked up and possibly prepared to drive home on Sat the 25th.

I've left a few messages with a few of the guys. Just thought I'd post this update and see what develops.

We'll need to find a hotel/motel near wherever the trucks go. Also considering driving a rental car out, with my tow bar.

Last edited:

Preacherboy

I think I am driving glenn's trucks over to TedG's place, probably Friday the 17 would work best for me. I hear Ted's storage location is only 2.5 miles from the GL lot. I can just make one extra trip and drive yours over there too.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PB, I think we want to get them to Ted's farm( a few more miles away). I have spoken with Lane, and he is tentatively planning on a Fri pickup. He was bringing along DaveP.

I sent you (Josh) a pm, please give me a call.

Preacherboy

Well, Glenn needs his 2 moved--you have 3 drivers? If you have 3 guys already I will not bother driving down, I was just under the impression that I was to get Glenn's trucks to Ted's.

Plus, mike root should be there picking one up, maybe we will just ride together. 4- m818's will be leaving that lot with steelsoldiers.

TedG

In talking with doghead today, I will only be available as an emergency back up for extraction. My work load is heavy. Lane and Dave know where I live (yikes!) and if someone else can be a runner/helper to assist for the unknown, even better.

mikeroot2

I'm hoping to get mine Tuesday. It's tentatively set up with Joe. From what I understand the normal load out day at the Lansing site is Friday, but Joe has been running like crazy lately between Columbus, Selfridge, Lansing and who knows where and is pretty backed up right now so he said he could do Tuesday as well. I have a genset to snag too. I will help out anyway I can.

Travis(digitaldust) volunteered to help me out.

Josh I'll give you a call when I know for sure when I'll be there. I know you're familiar with the site(and Joe) any pointers would be welcome.

I have a slave cable and tow bar if needed.

Lane, I spoke with Eric and I am at your disposal to help with fluid changes, maint, or whatever before Eric, Glenn and Co. make their way out to pick them up.

citizensoldier

Well, Glenn needs his 2 moved--you have 3 drivers? If you have 3 guys already I will not bother driving down, I was just under the impression that I was to get Glenn's trucks to Ted's.

Plus, mike root should be there picking one up, maybe we will just ride together. 4- m818's will be leaving that lot with steelsoldiers.
I do not have three drivers. As of now we plan on taking my CUCV down, towing it behind one M818 and the 3rd M818 behind a M818 #2.. That way we don't have to go back to the base after a truck. This is just what I discussed with Eric and have not talked with Glenn yet but I know doghead has been on the phone like crazy today. I can't make it until Friday the 17th but if your going to move Glenn's before then just let me know.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they move Glens on Tues, they may as well move mine too. It would be foolish to make you(Lane) drive over 6 hours r/t) to move one truck.

I need to get back to Joe, as soon as we decide a firm plan. I told him they would be going on one of those two days.

Mike, if you and Josh and Travis can move all three trucks to Ted's house, that would work also.

Need to make a choice...

I was leaning toward Lane doing it on Fri, and possibly Josh helping if he had time. (only picked Lane because he can dedicate the whole day to do it). He was also gonna look them over a bit so we can prepare to bring any needed parts before we arrive.

citizensoldier

(only picked Lane because he can dedicate the whole day to do it).

I thought I was special.. :-(:-D However it works out. I have Dr Dave and his indian ear scheduled for Friday.. Now I did just think of something! When you come to get them! Why don't you guys drive another couple hours north if you come get them on the weekend of the 23rd and 24th..You can participate in our Camp Grayling fall trail ride color tour!

mikeroot2

Eric,
I haven't made plans with anyone as of yet. I haven't spoken to Josh or Glenn so I'm not sure what's going on there. I was only able to leave a voice mail for Joe after getting my PIF. I would plan on Lane doing it Friday as I can't promise I can get it done(he sounds a lot more reliable than me). If I plan my recovery and work comes up no biggie, I just reschedule. If I plan yours and Glenn's, and his buddies, and mine and work comes up then I have just let a lot of people down.:sad: Put me down as an alternate to help Friday. I will do anything I can. I'm my own boss, but if a customer calls for service on a pump station and I don't take it they will call someone else and that won't pay my bills. doghead, give my number to Lane and Dave. If they need a hand or tools have them give me a call( have service truck, will travel).

Preacherboy

Just so everyone knows, I'll be available to help too. But after looking at the trucks, I don't anticipate you guys needing to do much, slave start them and drive away! Of course, after a quick check of your fluids.

Joe is a good guy too, easy to work with. Just come get the stuff when you schedule and he'll be fine. Mike, if something comes up I'd get your truck too, whatever you need (my wife will be thrilled to go to Lansing again!)

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you guys need a third driver on Friday I can assist. Just need to know a few days in advance so I can have someone cover for me.

Also, I like the idea of the 818s on the trail ride.

Lane, Angel said you are special. Not sure what he meant though.:lol:

Last edited:

4x4e350

I just won a M105A2 from the Lansing sight, and am currently awaiting my EUC, I live about 2 hours away.
If it ever gets cleared, I will be down that way, and could help out if needed.
Eventually I'd like to get a deuce, so the learning experience would be worth it to me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks