• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Time Once Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been coming back to this thread for 3 hours, waiting for the pics. It was worth the wait! This is so fun to watch, as it progresses.

zout

I have fibre optic broadband - it has been dropping out all day long and I am fustrated with ATT - I have been told by the techs that this area is outdated really bad - I got on - downloaded and then it dropped - it came back on and it dropped again - I was glad I finally got them on and added.

The chassis is really clean and looks really nice - now to figure out what I want to do with ole blue to get it where it should be.

I dislike working on stuff full of grease and it has to be clean to do what I want anyhow to see what needs to be replaced - well it is there.

My air compressor I have had for years that also helped build 2 - 109's finally took a crap today - my gracious neighbor helped with his compressor - good enough if ya want to use a nail gun - but not the tools I have to chomp away paint and impact stuff - so off to the parts place tomorrow to order replacement parts for the unit (funds outta the kitty for jeep parts for a couple weeks):roll:

zout

Got Dingers suspension spring pac's sent out today - will build these into an M38A1 configuration. We do need to order a couple rear spring hanger brackets and the hold down hardware along with the spring stop pads.

Going to take apart his steering dogbone (kind of a Doghead pun) (rofl) and see if it just needs a rebuild or replacement.

Engine's - na - still sitting in the same place by the door - they cannot seem to self load themselves into the truck. Would like to get these sent out begining of next week to the rebuilder.

Back onto ole blues body work again tonight.

zout

Couple hours each night now to pick at the body - here are some current shots tonight.

Just a personal bitch to let loose - all the parts vendors believe their pieces to put these back together are GOLD and want top price out of every single piece they sell - well I can buy sheet metal a lot less expensive and live with it and their parts can collect dust and still hold out for top dollar (makes more sence to sell more at a lesser expense like the airlines figure out once in a while) I feel better now thanks.

Here are the pics

Got the dogbone outta Dingers steering and will get the rebuild kit from a vendor Clinto turned me onto through e-bay.

Did I tell ya we have Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires coming for these :beer:

Oh yeah - entire tailgate getting replaced that is why it is partially missing.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why was the tailgate panel removed?

zout

It had several large areas filled with bondo and on the interior behind the upright braces it has eaten through with rust - instead of all the time involved to repair - the odds ruled in the favor to replace with an entire new section.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Picky Rascal!!!

It had several large areas filled with bondo and on the interior behind the upright braces it has eaten through with rust - instead of all the time involved to repair - the odds ruled in the favor to replace with an entire new section.
OH Heck...I guess now you are gonna start checking our jeepies with a magnet??:-o
(Here's a hint...only the AF jeep has bondo)

DON'T TELL MB!!!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome work! THANK YOU for sharing your diligent efforts! Always an honor to watch a Craftsman at work! To bad I wasn't closer, I could help you out with that M/Bath. That, I am very familiar with. lol Thanks for the pics and comments!! YOU ROCK!
God bless,

Tony:)

zout

Crown will be flowing heavly when I have to flip the tub over to get the floorpans aua
That is so relaxing being down there working on them :cool:

zout

Finally after all the pics I have taken of all the work we have done - I have learned to encapusulate all pics down to 10 - exactly enough to download one time - who said old dogs cannot learn new tricks :beer:

Had dinger65 swapping trans components off PB's donated trans to M37a1 configs - his front sprngs are in and waiting for the rears to come in - Clinto is accomodating later this week with other items which I will post.

Spun the wife's tub around so I could work on the drivers side - I will take the area's that need patching and "flange patch" panels in - heck with paying top prime price for repair panels and a step above bondoing them in. I have nothing wrong with bondo - but this is my wife's jeep and after 31 yrs being married - I would get my butt kicked if it was not a step above and beyond the call of duty - I AM NOT BUYING A TUB nor want perfect - just really nice.

If anyone thinks I need perfect - I take donations.

I was hoping to get the tub fliiped over but I fell short - The bike you see is my cash cow - I work on Harlies on the side to help fill the pockets - been working on them since 69. Anyone like HD here knows what is extra on this bike - that is my workmanship. Will get his bike done so we can get more JEEP parts.

Oh yeah - day got really short when the owner of the HD brought me my CROWN for even thinking of working on it - day ended there.:beer:

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Aw yes...the infamous Crown Royal bottle!!! Did you ever wonder why there are so many unfinished projects at the compound??:shock::oops::oops:

Looks like you're doing some good work troop!!:beer:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait a minute, it's been almost a month since you started....what's the hold-up?:doh:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All right, i'll buy that. Why do the flange repair and not just cut out and weld?

zout

the flange is cut out the bad section - "lip" the cut out and tac in a new center inside of it - at least that is what I call it - by eh - I have my own secret code and language that only I understand anyhow 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks