• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dump conversion info thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I'm going ahead with my project to compile all of the deuce dump conversion threads.

This thread is going to be where I'll start posting all the info. It's a work in progress so it may not look like much at first but I'll be working on it.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's one by Nap159. Here's the thread link- http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...ump-conversion.html?highlight=dump+conversion

Here is a few pictures of a dump conversion my brother and I recently finished.
The truck works great. The box dumps at a 45 degree angle. Plenty far for gravel. I've hauled 5 loads so far with the truck without any problems. The box could use taller sideboards though. 5 ton of gravel fills it up over the tailgate. I suspect the truck is capable of hauling far more than the 10,000 lb highway rating. It has plenty of power to move down the road.

The cylinders are 4" x 45". The hydraulic pump is a 14 gpm that was borrowed off another truck. The pump runs off a chelsea pto and driveshaft. Very easy install.
The c channel rails of the box were fitted with 3 x 5 1/4 wall tubing. The cylinders push on another 3 x 5 tube to transfer the weight. The hinges are the same tubing with a bushing we machined out that crosses the entire tube and welded into place.

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's one by 100dollarman. Here's the thread link- http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/25680-m35a2-dumpbed-pics.html

Here are some pics of a Deuce converted to a dump that one of my customers had done. The conversion cost him about $4800 complete.

I looked it over today and it looks REALLY good!!! He works the heck out of it. Hauls asphalt, wood and rock all the time. He has been using the front winch to pull 100' trees up out of the canyon. He is in the tree business and he is totally impressed by his new dumpbed with winch!

The rear of the frame was chopped and lowered for the hinge, bed lift stops, and it also lowers the hitch as an added bonus. Pretty trick.

$4800 is alot of dough, but I may have one of these done and keep it in stock for sale. It came out very nice.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's one by stretch44875. Here's the thread link http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/3104-dump-conversion-2.html

Had fun getting the bed up. Attached a chain to the front of the bed, and to a tree behind the deuce, about 12 feet up. Drove the deuce foward, and up went the bed!

I figured out what capacity lift I have. 6" dia, 29" stroke cyl. Lift has 8.5 feet of stroke. 6" cly has area of 28.2 in^. At 2000 psi that is 56548 pounds of force. 29" stoke to 8.5 feet is a 3.5 ratio, so force at lifting point is 16,156 pounds, or 8 tons. At 3000psi 12 tons. Then I only have to lift approx. 1/2 the load, so plenty of capacity. I knew that math had some purpose in life :grin: And feel free to double check me, I am not sure if this is correct.

I am bolting the hinge to the bed instead of welding. I plan to add a dropside at sometime in the future, easier to change beds. Used 4 grade 8, 1/2 bolts per side.

The hubs that are for the shaft, of the hinge, are welded into holes in the frame on the outside and welded on the inside.

I am going to weld the hinges to the bar that goes through the frame, at the moment they are free to turn on the shaft. The shaft turns in the hubs I welded in. By welding I will eliminate the chance one hinge will turn without the other one, possibly tilting the bed to the side.

I don't think I will double the frame. Where the lift is going is right on top of a crossmember, that will stiffen it up some. The truck it came out of was doubled, but the deuce frame is thicker and wider than the truck's frame.

The bed is at 55 degress in the pic. Looks like I will get 60 to 65 degrees when I am done. The attachment points for the lift will be about 20in in from the front.

Well after many hours of work this weekend, I got the lift installed. The upper part of the lift is just tack welded for now, waiting for a friend to arc weld it. Figured I would let someone who knows what they are doing for the heavy welding, I haven't welding with an arc welder since high school.

The bottom of the lift is bolted to the frame with 3/4", grade 8 bolts.

Ended up with 60 degrees of lift. Lift is mounted in about the only good spot for stability and clearence.

The biggest time was spent on narrowing the lift. It was 1.5 inches too wide, had to cut the ends off, slide the tubes out, shorten them, put the tubes back in, and weld the ends back on. Not much fun when one tube is a 3", 1/4" wall pipe, and the other was 3/8" wall pipe.

Had to do some mild clearence work on the bed, will go back and reinforce where I cut. Also plan to box the bed frame, it is pretty thin channel.

So far I have made 10 1/2" holes, 4 3/4" holes, and 2 holes that where 2 3/4" dia. Had to buy a bigger drill! If you use enough lube, you can use a bimetal hole saw to cut through the frame. Takes a while! Next time I might cheat and get the torch out...

Looks like it will be a while before I can get back to it. Still need to mount the pump, pto, hydrualic lines, and put the lights back on.

Sorry about the quality of the pics, it was dark and raining out by the time I was done...

I did modify one crossmember slightly, just cut and bent the edge of one down some, and welded.

Got the pto, pto driveshaft, and hydrualic pump installed. Was going to install the tank and pump in the very back, but running the driveshaft was going to be a real pain. Wanted to keep the spare tire and air tanks in the orginal location, so to say the least, I didn't have much space left.

The tank has the pump inside of it. I put it next to the air tanks, inbetween the frame rails. Needed to chain drive off the pto driveshaft. The driveshaft has very tight clearences, had to grind the corners off the 7/8 square driveshaft to clear some bolts and braces. Also cut the ends off some bolts flush with the nuts.

Made up a frame to fit around the tank, and used allthread to adjust it up and down for chain tension.

Had to get the right size yoke for PTO end of the driveshaft. Had to shorten the driveshaft some.

The tank barely fits under the bed, when the bed is down, it will fit inbetween the bed framerails, up into the bed crossmembers.

Still have to install hoses, cable for valve, shifter for pto, and tailights.

Very tight between the pto shaft and the spare tire, I may have to move the spare out a inch or 2. Modifed the 4 bolt pillow bearing into a 3 bolt for a little more clearence.

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's one by Gringeltaube.

This (light duty) dump conversion was done to a 1960 Curtiss-Wright M35 gasser, as part of all sorts of mods. and upgrades, besides a complete frame-up restoration.
Lifting action is accomplished via a fairly small, tranny PTO-driven pump and a single 5-stage telescopic cylinder, mounted almost centered to the cargo bed, extending 49" to achieve 50º tilt angle. Lifting fully up only takes about 10 seconds with engine idling at 800rpm. The single action, hydraulic control valve & lever was installed right behind the emergency brake lever so that it can be easily reached from the drivers seat or standing outside the truck. A small air cylinder engages the PTO after flipping a switch mounted to the dash.
The oil reservoir is mounted between cross-members right beside the air tanks. It holds up to 6 gallon of hydraulic fluid, plenty to keep oil temperature low.
To support the hydraulic cylinder with its base pivots in the center of the frame and better distribute load on the truck's frame a compact subframe and mounts were built and everything bolted to the frame and original crossmembers.
The ball joint flange for the piston top end is attached to a heavy omega-shaped channel welded in place in between the bed rails. These were previously boxed and got U-channels welded underneath for general reinforcement, so the bed now sits approx. 1-1/2" higher atop the truck's frame.
Hinges (on top of relative short frame extensions) were built so that the original bumperettes could remain in place. A pair of sliding/pivoting rods act as limiters to protect the cylinder from being overstretched when the bed is up and truck moved forward. Also a safety latch is provided on the drivers side rail, to prevent accidental lowering, especially while servicing the hydraulic system.

Pics follow....

(More specs, pics and drawings available for anyone interested.)

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
*Copied from an earlier thread*

It's possible to make a dump bed, but it's cheaper to buy a 5 ton dump (and it will have more capacity).
I don't know if it's cheaper but the 5-ton dumps certainly have more capacity. A deuce is more of a "household chores" dump truck, it's capacity is limited in comparison to commercial dumps. But for most people in a non-commercial usage, it's way more than enough.

Thanks for all the help! Clinto I may have to come see you in October I have family in Warner Robins.
You won't just be seeing me, you'll be seeing 300-500 SS members and over 100 military vehicles at one of the biggest events in the Country.

Go spend some time here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?114102-Official-2013-Ga-Rally-multimedia-thread

One more question for you does anyone make a dump bed kit for these trucks?
I don't think anyone makes a complete kit (Maybe C&C Equipment in Indiana) but you can do deuce dump conversions pretty easily. We have several compilation threads that members have put up showing what is involved in doing one.

More likely than not, you'll end up buying a scissor assy., buying a hinge kit for the bed or building your own and figuring out how you're going to run the hydraulic pump (PTO or electric motor) and building a subframe to support the bed.

Go read all of these:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?63367-Dump-conversion-info-thread <--excellent compilation thread

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?3104-Dump-Conversion <--included in the above thread

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?105750-Deuce-Dump-Truck-Conversion <--not included in compilation thread

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?84411-Deuce-dump-conversion <--not included in compilation thread

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?15325-Working-the-Deuce-Vol-12-385 <--my personal dump conversion, info about the dump begins on post #18

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks