• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$1.00 Dollar a gallon, Recycled ATF from the local 10 minute oil change

How many Deuce,Multi-Fuel owners will actually take the time to reclaim cheap fuel..?

• Total voters

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok guy what would it take to run my CUCV on this stuff? Cut it with Diesel? Sounds allot cheaper than Bio Diesel.
Your CUCV is like mine a 6.2 non turbo stock dog. I think its prudent to burn straight diesel with a quart of 20-50 motor oil for lubricating the IP. There is really no way to turn our engines into a multi fuel.2cents

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been thinking of tis, and I already own a transfer pump HOME made with an oil pump from a household oil burner. I believe its a webster pump and was used to pump #2 home heating :Doil. I may put a conventional 275 gallon storage tank from a home and leave it on my deuce. Once I relocate in Florida, in November, I know just where Im going to look for the tranny fluid too WHATADEUCE2cents

Crewdawg141

Your CUCV is like mine a 6.2 non turbo stock dog. I think its prudent to burn straight diesel with a quart of 20-50 motor oil for lubricating the IP. There is really no way to turn our engines into a multi fuel.2cents

I have been reading adding 2 stroke oil to the fuel of a CUCV, you say 20-50. Which one is better or is 20-50 cheaper than the 2 stroke for you? I am hunting for ways of operating the CUCV in a cheaper fashion, so any input is greatly appreciated.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only reason I use 20w50w is, I got a few cases free from a friend of mine. 2 stroke oil is better in my opinion, I just am using up what I had for free. The diesel fuel properties nowadays is not the same fuel we had back when the CUCV was made. IMHO any oil is good oil in the fuel.

Crewdawg141

The only reason I use 20w50w is, I got a few cases free from a friend of mine. 2 stroke oil is better in my opinion, I just am using up what I had for free. The diesel fuel properties nowadays is not the same fuel we had back when the CUCV was made. IMHO any oil is good oil in the fuel.
Thanks for the info, so 1 quart per tank is sufficient? Forgive me if this is a stupid question but this is my first Diesel and I want to make certain that I do not Eff her up in any way by lack of knowledge or experience.

Also, is Diesel Help worth anything?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is Diesel help the same as 911..? If it is that's a good additive to keep the system from gelling in extreme cold.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mineral Oil...

A few months ago I contacted the local utility maintenance division. I made a good contact with the reclaim\demolition department. They told me there were several old transformer sites slated for demolition.

Today I got the call......!!!!!

I was given a list of 5 sites to go look at and confirm I can remove all the mineral oil from every transformer.

The utility company has a crew that will come in and scrap out everything above the concrete pads. They can not take burnt out transformers to the scrap yard while they are still full of mineral oil.

Pictured is the 1st site i looked at. There are 3 transformers all disconnected from the poles are you can see. This particular site was hit by lightning and has been dormant for 4 years.

The site print shows each transformer holds 420 gallons of straight mineral oil. ALL PC-B'S are clear. I am sure since there was a fire there is some water mixed in but thats easy to remove. At each base there is a drain ball valve pictured. My plan is to pump from the ball valve straight into the transfer tank in the A3. Then filter X 3 and transfer to a storage tank. From what I know, mineral oil is better for a multi fuel than straight diesel fuel. No smell either.

I will post an update when I get all 5 sites drained and a total gallons of fuel procured. BTW, All this cost me was my time to ask a few questions and maybe 1 days labor per transformer site to remove all mineral oil, sounded like a good deal to me.

Attachments

davesgmc

I know for a fact that in the state of Kansas ANYTHING but green diesel fuel in your tank gets you a court date and a HEFTY fine. Because anything except green diesel fuel means you didn't pay the tax on it.
BUT you can get a fuel blenders permit and make your own diesel. you can keep records and send in the paper work and pay the tax per gallon of fuel you have made.
The draw back from all of this is you have to put up a $5000 bond to the state while doing this, I certainly don't have an extra $5000 laying around to give tot he state so I can save a few dollars a year on cheap fuel.
I had my tanks dipped and fuel checked not too long ago actually. He seemed like he was really expecting to find something other than green diesel. He even admitted to making sure he checks all former military vehicles he comes across just for the fact that he knows that people run other than green diesel in them.
And truth be known ANY diesel will run on WMO or similar types of oil if treated right, etc. I have run the Detroit 2 stroke on old gear lube ,,,just glad I didn't have any in either tank when he checked this time.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW sounds like KANSASS is strict. I did some checking around and there is no issue around here. Whats the big deal anyway...? Sounds like you got pulled over and harassed. I was going to try a diesel/mineral oil blend in a MEP003 to see how well it runs. In Kansas is there an issue with power generators or just DOT regs..?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to pick on Kansas but, I have read a few threads on how they don't like MV,s and some are illegal to park in town. Thanks for the intel Dave..!

Blind Driver

A few months ago I contacted the local utility maintenance division. I made a good contact with the reclaim\demolition department. They told me there were several old transformer sites slated for demolition.

Today I got the call......!!!!!

I was given a list of 5 sites to go look at and confirm I can remove all the mineral oil from every transformer.

The utility company has a crew that will come in and scrap out everything above the concrete pads. They can not take burnt out transformers to the scrap yard while they are still full of mineral oil.

Pictured is the 1st site i looked at. There are 3 transformers all disconnected from the poles are you can see. This particular site was hit by lightning and has been dormant for 4 years.

The site print shows each transformer holds 420 gallons of straight mineral oil. ALL PC-B'S are clear. I am sure since there was a fire there is some water mixed in but thats easy to remove. At each base there is a drain ball valve pictured. My plan is to pump from the ball valve straight into the transfer tank in the A3. Then filter X 3 and transfer to a storage tank. From what I know, mineral oil is better for a multi fuel than straight diesel fuel. No smell either.

I will post an update when I get all 5 sites drained and a total gallons of fuel procured. BTW, All this cost me was my time to ask a few questions and maybe 1 days labor per transformer site to remove all mineral oil, sounded like a good deal to me.
I'm calling my two local utility companies tomorrow :beer:

I know for a fact that in the state of Kansas ANYTHING but green diesel fuel in your tank gets you a court date and a HEFTY fine. Because anything except green diesel fuel means you didn't pay the tax on it.
Ask me if I give a gnat arse :doghead:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it makes anyone feel any better Mineral oil is clear without any red dye. So if you mix it with diesel you are still green on any dip stick. Today we are collecting at the first site then Sunday the next. I have a job during the week so the only way for me to collect in the daylight is on the weekends. Pictures to follow.:driver:

davesgmc

Not to pick on Kansas but, I have read a few threads on how they don't like MV,s and some are illegal to park in town. Thanks for the intel Dave..!
thats only if you are all upity and live in an all upity county, and you are in charge of a local military vehicle organization and think that you are all that.

thats all i have to say about that.....lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks