• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

100% used motor oil fuel.

sermis

My last 100 gallons had about 2 gallons of antifreeze. I have a drain on the low side of the tank and use a glass to see water or anything else that might be in it. Drain it out before each use. I also have duel waters filter on the hose befor it goes into the truck.

littlebob

I think we can all be creative and find more sources for free fuel. I'm still not on the road yet, but already thinking about other sources. I had friend drop off about six gallons of old gas the other day out of his old chevy truck that had been sitting a couple of years. We have to look at thes sources that are less likely to be targeted. I have 24 gal of old gas in boat that I haven't used in a few years mixid with the old hydraulic fluid, gear oil and whatever waste oil I can find.
Anybody try to figuire out the optimun viscosity?
I would love to see everyones filtering setups and storage solutions are.
littlebob

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you think about it, we are kinda like neo-pioneers of multiple fuel engine users. Very few other groups out there are like we are, we're able to burn very weird mixtures of fuel, reasonably efficiently. Not even most "green eco-friendly" groups out there can compare to the resourcefulness of our fuel sources and use, and that, IMHO, gives me a real warm fuzzy feeling.

Oh no, wait...that's just gas. <burp>

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had some cold starting troubles when running too much oil. WMO is heavy fuel oil. It's used in ships and other large slow engines. Heavy fuel oil is getting very expensive. And oil recylers are selling it for fuel. I'd rather burn it in my engine than give away for free to someone else for fuel.

bradmachine

I have about 35 gallons of 20 year old gasoline.....looks like apple cider and smells a little like varnish....poured some on the ground and it burns pretty good....am thinking about mixing it with diesel 50/50 and running it...????.....will it work.??????

rmgill

maddawg308 said:
When you think about it, we are kinda like neo-pioneers of multiple fuel engine users. Very few other groups out there are like we are, we're able to burn very weird mixtures of fuel, reasonably efficiently. Not even most "green eco-friendly" groups out there can compare to the resourcefulness of our fuel sources and use, and that, IMHO, gives me a real warm fuzzy feeling.
If you're conservative and live off the grid, make your own food/water/fuel/power you're a nutty survivalist.

If you're liberal and live off the grid, make your own food/water/fuel/power you're Green!

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
I've been running 100% waste trans oil after filtering thru a 5 micron then a 1 micron bag filter that I encased in 4 inch pvc. It screws atop a 55 gallon drum and I just purge the trans flush machine at the shop thru it. Works great and the stuff burns fine. No hard start problems or anything. Plus, lots of great lubricity for the injectors and upper cylinders. :lol:

Waste engine oil I haven't tried yet cause I have so much trans fluid. I've stuck with the trans fluid cause it's easier to filter and thinner for fuel.

randyscycle

Rotten gasoline seems to do just fine. I tend to end up with a lot of it here because we do a lot of storage vehicles, and so far it runs just fine in this deuce. I had a friend with another M35A2 and he ran it pretty consistently, helping me dispose of it without any negative effects.

CCATLETT1984

Manstein said:
I've been running 100% waste trans oil after filtering thru a 5 micron then a 1 micron bag filter that I encased in 4 inch pvc. It screws atop a 55 gallon drum and I just purge the trans flush machine at the shop thru it. Works great and the stuff burns fine. No hard start problems or anything. Plus, lots of great lubricity for the injectors and upper cylinders. :lol:

Waste engine oil I haven't tried yet cause I have so much trans fluid. I've stuck with the trans fluid cause it's easier to filter and thinner for fuel.
Oh what i would give for that supply, ATF ROCKS in these engines.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Have any of y'all tried running a mix of WMO in a GM 6.2? I think I'd burn regular pump diesel in my cherished HMMWV, but once the EUC clears and I pick up my four CUCVs, I may have a "disposable" truck to try this in! ;)

If an unmodified 6.2 could live on a mix of filtered WMO and pump gasoline (or pump diesel, whichever is cheaper at the time), that could save me money on my 40 mile (each way) commute to work. I've already cut it down by telecommuting regularly, but I like to show up once or twice a week so people don't forget that I work there.

This seems like a no-brainer for trucks like my M543A2 wrecker, which I just use for a yard crane. It never leaves the property, and I might be able to run it all year on its own annual oil change! [thumbzup] Plus, it ought to have a hydraulic oil change one of these days, so then I'll have another 60-70 gallons of light oil to play with.

I might be able to get my hands on the occasional 5-10 gallons of 60W drain oil from my friend who's rebuilding a T6 aircraft. He already promised me his first crankcase full after he breaks in the engine. I'd imaging that stuff would need to be thinned more than the 30W out of my diesel crankcases.

Hmm, and what about that Kubota diesel in my Bobcat...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Mark, in doing research for my wmo filtering, I found that alot of people that run IDI diesel motors use wmo in the fuel. A 6.2 is an IDI motor.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
gimpyrobb said:
Mark, in doing research for my wmo filtering, I found that alot of people that run IDI diesel motors use wmo in the fuel. A 6.2 is an IDI motor.
Does the combustion chamber in an IDI diesel produce an effect similar to the chambers in the deuce's pistons, thus helping them burn a wider range of fuels?

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Well, I think I'd like to experiment with this once my pile of CUCVs arrives (assuming that any of them will run!). I wonder if I should add any gauges before I try this? I don't like having an idiot light in place of a coolant temp gauge, anyway. Maybe I should also add an exhaust pyrometer? Maybe one for each side of the engine?

ALFA2

This is really amaziing, I had no idea a mulifuel can actualy run on straight used motor oil, and without serious modifications to the fuel system. Thanks for the info.

SasquatchSanta

I've installed twin fuel pressure gauges --- one pre primary fuel filter and one post primary fuel filter.

I figure by monitoring the pressure spread before and after the primary filter I'll be able to tell when I've got a filter starting to plug, jell, of ice up.

After a recent fuel problem on I-35 during rush hour traffic I want to know ahead of time so I can pick the time and place where I change a filter.

joesco

I have a question for all the fellow deuce owners here in New England and other cold-climate states that are running wmo's as a fuel supplement. I am running a cocktail of about a 60/40/10 wmo/diesel/gas and was wondering as the nights get colder should I change my ratios a bit. So far I have had no problems and have found the engine much quieter. Thanks folks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks