• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

100% used motor oil fuel.

otisroy

Stretch, you said it ran quieter on the WMO. I had about 15 gallons of diesel and some Marvel in the tank before I added about 10 gallons of fresh diesel and just a quart of 30 weight this weekend. I didn't have any Marvel and the oil was closer and cheaper. I swear the truck ran a bit quieter. Is that the norm?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It runs quieter on biofuels also, may have something to do with rate of combustion...and/or related to the BTU value of the fuel...biofuels have lower BTU values than diesel. Lubricity is higher...

SrIrie

I just toke a trip of about 600 miles round trip with my bronco and all my camping gear in the bed on 100% used oil. It ran fine started fine had less power was a bite quieter(I think) and the pyro temp was a little lower than usual. Just my experience and 2cents

Stonewall

this is great info. My father-in-law and his father are farmers.... not to mention about everyone else around here. I cannot wait to start making the rounds to the used oil tanks and filling up my Deuce. My wife has been on my case since I bought it about the price of fuel... there is always a solution, if you look hard enough. Wait until my brother hears that it will cost less for me to drive my Deuce than for him to drive his M38 Willey's.

Attachments

Ronbo

Does anyone have a way of making a prefilter before I put the wmo in my tank? also Is the napa 3405 primary filter good enough? Still get enought feul flo? any issues

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ronbo, I am using deuce filters and as a final filter a Fleet guard FS1000. It has worked well for me all summer. Also, it helps to cut it with gas so it flows easier through the filters. A pressure gauge helps to know when the filters are clogged too. Keep the working pressure around 60 psi.

ralbelt

Don,t forget to check with your local outdoor power equipment dealers. They also have quantities of umo and it is probably already diluted with 10%-20% or more of gas

gimpyrobb

Welcome Max, you are not too far from Kipman and Oilcan(just about in the middle of them). Welcome to the site. Lots of info on that if you use the search at the top of the page. I use some spare deuce filters and an FS1000.

rwright07

To answer your question about the viablity of using WMO when properly filtered in a 6.2, it is an Indirect Injection Diesel, and it will run on a substantial percentage of WMO/ATF.

I built a setup this fall for me and a roommate w/ a 12V cummins to experiment w/ WMO. His dodge will run normally on around 50% WMO. above that it smokes on idle.

Right now i am driving on 85% WMO filtered to 2Microns using 3 particulate water filters and a water seperating diesel fuel filter. 30 microns-20 micron fuel/waterseperator-10 micron-5 or 2 micron final filter.

We have about 180 bucks into our entire setup, consisting of several 55 gallon drums, an air compressor, an inline air pressure regulator, and several 2" bungs that have been drilled and tapped to accept 3/4" NPT pipe fittings, threaded into PVC tubing that extends from down into the tan to our filters then through regular garden hose and into fuel oil storage drums.

we run about 15PSI in the oil drums to push a good flow through the filters, and about 5PSI to push the fuel oil from those drums to our gas tanks.

So far no problems to report, it has been about a month and i have run 200+ gallons through so far. The engine runs MUCH quieter, starts fine, doesnt smoke more than usual, etc. EGT's are about 40 degrees warmer on average due to the higher energy density of WMO vs Diesel.

We currently are about to begin experimenting with ATF to a greater extent, as we just found a source locally.

Will keep you guys informed.

P.S. w/ diesel at 2.64 a gallon w/ 85% WMO, it costs $.02 per mile to drive....

Maxxx

rwright07, how often do you change filters? I know some that are using WVO and have to change filters quite often. Post some pics of your filtering appartus.

res0wc18

did you guys ever figure out a way to filter the water out of the wmo etc when it is hot. I took a 10 dollar 5500 watt hot water heater element and plumbed it into my tank and it gets the oil mix nice and hot, but the water seperator is not working correctly. I bought one of the racor fg series filter seperators etc but the oil hot is not letting the water seperate out the water?

I have not figured out why other than that maybe when its heated its too thin to distinguish between water and hot oil?

gimpyrobb

Your far enough north, just set it outside and let it freeze. Then pull out said chunk of ice.:wink: My deuce filters and fleetguard FS1000 pull out plenty of water. If I don't drain it off, it will plug the filters and stop flow.

gimpyrobb

I have heard of guys running wmo in 1008s. Please look around, do not take my word on it. I am running wmo cut with gas in my truck(m109). In my research, I found info you might like to read by searching "waste motor oil filter setup" at google.