• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

-12* will the deuce start?

Jimma

It should. You can use the manifold heater switch on the lower left dash to help you while cranking and warming it up. I have started mine in 6 degree weather and it started instantly. I have only had one issue and that was with the batteries not liking the cold and acting like they were really low and it would not turn over fast enough to start. During theit day warmed up about 20 degrees and it started instantly.

91W350

San Antonio, Texas (78201) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

That is because on its life schedule, today was supposed to be a 34 degree morning.

Rapid City, South Dakota (57701) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Looks like 36 degrees in Rapid City, would have been a nice morning to fire mine up and head home, except for all the snow that is on the ground and scheduled to fly.

Salina, Kansas (67401) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

It was 28 here this morning and I heard my M1009 fire right off when my son went to school. You must be locked up in the icebox.... Glen

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When in the Army, we routinely started Deuces at even colder temperatures. If you have good batteries and either a manifold heater or ether system, you should not have a problem. One thing I learned in the Army was to turn on the headlights for a few minutes before trying to start the vehicle. This warms up the batteries slightly and helps them work better.

Pinkie

I had never thought about running the headlights to warm the batteries. I would have just thought it would pull a few amps that would have been needed to start the truck. But we are talking about extreme temps that I have no exp in.

91W350

It should. You can use the manifold heater switch on the lower left dash to help you while cranking and warming it up. I have started mine in 6 degree weather and it started instantly. I have only had one issue and that was with the batteries not liking the cold and acting like they were really low and it would not turn over fast enough to start. During theit day warmed up about 20 degrees and it started instantly.
The difference between 6 above and 12 below is huge on a diesel. My CUCVs and old Cummins are good to about 6-10 below, if it is going to be any colder, a battery charger running all night, a space heater under the hood, even a heat lamp or a block heater of some sort is a good plan. I suppose in the alternative of a charger, a battery blanket might help, never had one of those though.

dittle

I'm sure mine would start with ether (and I treated my fuel) but I'm not going to try as I have no need to start mine.

ranchhopper

It was -8 here this morning the F350 my employer provides me as a company truck has a 6.0 diesel in it wouldnt start this morning its a 2005 with 180.000 on it this is the first day it wouldnt start. I think the batteries finally need replacement I think it would have started if it had new batteries so I plugged it in for an hour now its running.

dittle

My '04 6.0L has started at -18 without being plugged in. Sounded very funny for a while but then straightened out. Got it plugged in outside at my work now. Figure if I can't start there is nothing in the parking lot that will start me....but if I do start I can jump anything in the lot as I'm the only diesel here.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And the Metro area was the "warm" spot last night! At 10:00 last night it was already -31 in International Falls! And I was going to haul scrap with my deuce tomorrow...perhaps not.

ranchhopper

I have started the truck in colder temps but I think it was the combination of high mileage and the original batteries getting to the point of needing to be replaced.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you run a lower grade winter oil I think it's a lot to ask of a motor with 15W-40 in it if it's not plugged in.

mojeeper

I have started the truck in colder temps but I think it was the combination of high mileage and the original batteries getting to the point of needing to be replaced.

why do you think 180K is high miles ? Im not trying to be a smart a**
just curious I have an 06 6.0 and plan on it going well past 180K

I would say your right 6 year old battery's are at the end of their service life

Last edited:

91W350

Unless you run a lower grade winter oil I think it's a lot to ask of a motor with 15W-40 in it if it's not plugged in.
That is probably my problem, I do not change to lighter oil. They turn super slow, and will eat batteries. 15-40 Rotella is all I have run. We usually only have two or three days a year below -5 and I can live with that. Glen

Flyingvan911

Check your ground connections. Mine were dirty but after cleaning them my starter will crank the engine 100 rpm faster. I give mine a small squirt of starting fluid. Just enough to get the diesel to ignite in the first place. Then it is just fine.

PaulbusMax

Reminds me of how some aircraft radial engines would have a valve to add fuel to the oil before shutting down to thin it out for easier starting in the cold. Another good reason to have fire guards watching the start, extinguisher at the ready. Oil technology has changed a bit too.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The difference between 6 above and 12 below is huge on a diesel. My CUCVs and old Cummins are good to about 6-10 below, if it is going to be any colder, a battery charger running all night, a space heater under the hood, even a heat lamp or a block heater of some sort is a good plan. I suppose in the alternative of a charger, a battery blanket might help, never had one of those though.
Leaving a battery charger hooked up all night does two things. Obviously, it charges the battery. It also warms the battery from the chemical reaction taking place in the cells from the charging process. A warm battery makes a lot of difference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks