• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

170hp cat motor out of m35a3 in m35a2?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a better trade would be to install a Cummins 6BT in the A2. Just my opinion, but I like the 6BT over the 3116 any day.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bigger question is...why would you want to do it? Despite what guys who never owned one think, those that have owned one like them better than the M35A2s. I still love the A2s...don't get me wrong. However, EVERYTHING except the look of the truck is better on an A3. The motor has more power. Some say it is one of the worst motors that CAT made. I am not sure that is true but, even if it is, I bet you still get more mileage out of it than a multi. The transmission is a definite upgrade. If you don't like an automatic, you won't like it, but it is an upgrade. The driver's seat is nicer. The heater is nicer. Everything is either new or rebuilt for the most part (they do reuse some parts like the bed. If you want a CAT powered deuce, sell your A2 and buy an A3. Once you are around the A3s, the bastardized hood and front end don't look so goofy. This is my opinion.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also forgot to add that the A3s have side markers and an electric wiper motor that are standard.

tm america

i agree with maddawg.but i would use a trans from an a3 before i would use the engine.since it would be a huge improvement and having a hydro winch would be great you could put a remote so you could run it from outside and be able to watch the cable yourself.but if you were going to go through all the work of swapping a motor why only go from 140hp to 170hp.when you could put a 6bt in there and be able to run it up to 300-400hp and still have a reliable engine

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
reason i ask is there are 21 of them on gl still in crate and i thought if they go for a reasonable amount it might be nice to have a backup motor.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MDMORGAN, sounds like you have a good plan. I thought you were literally pulling it out of the A3.

tm america

the rest of the drive train will handle it just fine its been done .its all in how you drive wether it will hold up or not you can break a 10000 dollar race trans with a stock motor or you can runa hopped up motor on a stock trans .its all in how you work the go pedal.they run a spicer 3053a in the worlds fastest pick up it is over a 1000hp .can they dump the clutch at full throttle no can they downshift to early and dump the clutch no but if drivin right things will last a long time

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
somehow i don't believe another 40hp will hurt anything. but will it bolt to the trans, motor mounts and will it fit in the A2 engine compartment?

KsM715

Isnt the ugly hood and lights because of the motor? So along with the motor you would need the hood and grill and other associated items that go with fitting that that motor in there.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
so then, no, not a bolt it in and call 'er good kinda thing? oh well can always get one and hang on to it, my wife wants an a3 bobbed.:wink:

Brian Thomas

Remember the 3116 is an electronic engine. If you dont have the harness and the ECU it will cost alot more than the trouble of putting one in. If you wanted to repower I would use a 12 valve cummins with a mechanical pump. You can work them ove rto run 300 horse and be very reliable. There are bell housing availible to put it in front of most any trans you wish.

rebel_raider

I agree with KsM715. They changed the front end to accommodate an intercooler. But I'm sure you can figure out a way to install an intercooler without making your truck ugly. As far as engine mounting it probably won't bolt up, but could with a little work. As for engine to transmission, I think both are a #3 bellhousing.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well...here's my opinion for what it's worth.

The A3 is one ugly truck...but who enters them in a beauty contest anyway... I'll stick with the A2's and the 5tons.

The Allison Automatic just can't be beat IMO. Probably had 20 civilian med duty trucks with them and only had one bad one...replaced under warranty without issue. (All bought new).

My problem is with the 3116/3126 CAT engine...and I agree..they are throw aways when you start having problems. The rings break/crack...that's my major concern...and mileage doesn't seem to be the driving factor...just bad design.

Truthfully, I'm not a fan of the Multifuel...or the deuce either...prefer 5tons with a Cummins...but I'll take the MF deuce anyday over the CAT.

FIRE AWAY:doh::soapbox::deadhorse:

Attachments