• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Even after all of the previous pictures it was not until the last three that I noticed that the K18 had been punched in the nose.:roll:

It has not been punched in the nose. The K18 is part of the "Pug" series of MV. :shock:
These trucks were specially designed with snubbed noses so the operator could drive up close to a building and the enemy would fly over and think the signal truck was part of the building or just a storage shed.:cookoo:

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

The K18 truck and K19 trailer combo was designated as the SCR-197 unit. For those standing by to keep busy here is a small portion of one of the simular units involvement:

The
Signal Corps detachment, two days after
its arrival, had put into operation an SCR-
197 radio truck and trailer which the Navy
had transported to the island.
On Sunday morning, 7 December, Wil
son
was expecting a flight of planes from
Hawaii. On awakening he picked up his
telephone to check with the sergeant on
duty in the radio station, as was his custom.
Immediately, the sergeant pulled his radio
receiver close to the telephone mouthpiece
and Wilson heard the radioed dah dits coming
in from Fort Shafter, "This is the real
thing! No mistake!" Wilson recognized Lt.
Col. Clay I. Hoppough's "fist" as he
pounded out the alarm again and again.62
In the next few hours of preparation the
men moved the radio truck into the brush
near the half-finished powder magazine. In
the meantime Sergeant Rex had tried to
warn the garrisons in Darwin, Australia,
and in Port Moresby, New Guinea, that the
Japanese had launched a war, but they
would not believe him.
A few minutes before noon the war broke
over Wake Island. On the tail of a rain
squall a wave of Japanese bombers glided
in, engines cut off, undetected. The island
had no radar; clouds obscured the raiders.
"They just opened their bomb bays and laid
their eggs in my face," Wilson recalled in
describing the attack. Then they circled and
came back to machine gun. Two bullets
penetrated the walls of the SCR-197 trailer
and a thick safe (borrowed from the marines
), went on through the radio receiving
position, but failed to wreck the set. Both
the marines' radio station, near the original
location of the Army's installation, and the
Pan-American radio station w e r e destroyed.
63 In that first raid the Japanese
transformed the three islands of the atoll
into a bomb-pitted shambles, and for the
next few days they repeated their attacks.
Daily they strafed the position of the Signal
Corps radio station, and each night the
men changed its location.

zout

Metal came today for the back wall support lower section to frame - and enough to replace rear wheelwell to back wall both sides as well.

Both running boards fabbed up as well.
Too bad they can't go in yet.100_2086.jpg100_2087.jpg100_2088.jpg

zout

Ask Deb about me getting electricuted years ago and it was not a laughing matter - I was told after a few seconds it should have killed me - there is more to what happened so just ask me at the cookout. But the wiring stays like it is.

See that yellow strap - I towed that long piece home from work - just dragged it on the streets - I did not want to scratch up my pretty new used truck bed.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ask Deb about me getting electricuted years ago and it was not a laughing matter - I was told after a few seconds it should have killed me - there is more to what happened so just ask me at the cookout. But the wiring stays like it is.

See that yellow strap - I towed that long piece home from work - just dragged it on the streets - I did not want to scratch up my pretty new used truck bed.
Sounds like you had a rather shocking experience!:naner:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We still have 16 days before the cookout and the end of the Commander's break, BUT the 17th day is Sunday and God/Family day so the mice just need to take a chill pill, nap frequently, and generally stand by for further action.

Any violation of this cease fire may subject the violator to punishment by the Georgia Mafia associates named Vinny, Vito, plus Sal The Bat man".

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I trust youre not letting Zout anywhere near the rig until until said time he is allowed to resume work.
Correct! I had to send him "a little reminder charge" early this evening!:roll::rules: He thought my cameras could only see the side of the K-18 next to the garage...HA!!!:papabear:

I have video but I won't post it as Zout is a good friend and a true Patriot...besides....the zapper MAY have been turned a little TOO high...and things got a little messy.:oops:

zout

I made a firm promise to my FRIEND and there is no deviation in mind - plain and simple.

Been getting stuff off the chore list for the cookout done and the list is not a pleasant one. A few have heard of some of the results of trying to rush through that list which caused more work.

Been hunting down window channel seals for the box sides - been hunting down RARE dual pane window channel rubber for the rear glass
Been hunting down windshield crank out seals and crank out rebuild kit for the mechanism that is stripped out as well.

Only some of the glass gets loaded up and start working on getting sections of this cut - still need to tear apart framework for the rear box roll up windows but read the first sentence of why this is not happening yet.

If in doubt that I am slacking - go back and read the first sentence again. COOKOUT COMES FIRST at this point in time. Those coming will see it as it is - if Skype is on you get to see it as well.

All I can tell you is after the cookout is done - Do Not Blink - Do Not turn your head to look away - there are some good things to come.
FedX from what I was advised today is delivering the TM Ordinance #8 paint TOMORROW and enough for one of PB's other projects he has in mind (and that Is non of my business) But he can pick up the paint at the cookout.

Hang in there and I just may send PB pics as this continues as I do not want SS site to be a restoration forum or turn threads into restoration forums. Its his decision whether to post pics sent to him from this point on just so those watching know what is going on. There will be no more posts as to what is happening from me - but is what is currently happening.

Hang in till after the cookout.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I made a firm promise to my FRIEND and there is no deviation in mind - plain and simple.

Been getting stuff off the chore list for the cookout done and the list is not a pleasant one. A few have heard of some of the results of trying to rush through that list which caused more work.

Been hunting down window channel seals for the box sides - been hunting down RARE dual pane window channel rubber for the rear glass
Been hunting down windshield crank out seals and crank out rebuild kit for the mechanism that is stripped out as well.

Only some of the glass gets loaded up and start working on getting sections of this cut - still need to tear apart framework for the rear box roll up windows but read the first sentence of why this is not happening yet.

If in doubt that I am slacking - go back and read the first sentence again. COOKOUT COMES FIRST at this point in time. Those coming will see it as it is - if Skype is on you get to see it as well.

All I can tell you is after the cookout is done - Do Not Blink - Do Not turn your head to look away - there are some good things to come.
FedX from what I was advised today is delivering the TM Ordinance #8 paint TOMORROW and enough for one of PB's other projects he has in mind (and that Is non of my business) But he can pick up the paint at the cookout.

Hang in there and I just may send PB pics as this continues as I do not want SS site to be a restoration forum or turn threads into restoration forums. Its his decision whether to post pics sent to him from this point on just so those watching know what is going on. There will be no more posts as to what is happening from me - but is what is currently happening.

Hang in till after the cookout.
Horse poop!! You know I'm computer challenged and it takes me two days to post a pic!!

You're doing the most excellent work and YOU should be posting the most excellent pics!

I don't understand the "restoration forum/thread" comment.

I thought that was what folks wanted to see? If not...someone just let me know and there will be no further pics/threads started by me either.:shrugs:

In other words...I used to be confused, but now I'm not so sure!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks