• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

zout

Will post up tomorrow after painting getting ready for the cookout then what is needed to get ALL the windows back into sealing condition then. I have over a dozen vendors working on OEM stuff and good pricing.

Till after the cookout - just misc stuff is happening so PB does not tazer me.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I thought you were supposed to be taking a break from the K18? Why are you searching for parts? PB, hit him with the zapper again.
No...under paragraph 7, subparagraph (b) of the rules, zout is authorized to hunt for stuff on line etc., AFTER he has completed his daily honey do list.:rules:

He is just not allowed to perform any physical task which would detract from the daily chore list.:rules:

zout

Window channel - most of the metal channel was rotted - this hold the felted material that has the ribbed flexible metal in it - total of 355.50 inches needed.

The rubber piece - this is for the back windows. They are DUAL PANE inner and outer glass. Looking at the seal the bottom V is where it sits in the metal framework - the groves both sides are for the zipper strips - the top two grooves are for the glass.
Also it requires 8 regulator coiled springs that hold the windows in the UP position (that is why you saw most of them down or partially open - springs broke. I have not disassembled the crank out windshield but I know one of the die cast gears are stripped.

This will all have to be ready on hand upon assembly - I have some good sources at this time except that rubber for dual pane.100_2089.jpg100_2090.jpg100_2091.jpg100_2092.jpg100_2093.jpg

Last edited:

zout

OOPS !!!!!!!!! I think I was looking for a part hidden in the engine compartment and all of a sudden !!!!!!!!!! (yes painting was already done)100_2101.jpg100_2102.jpg100_2103.jpg100_2105.jpg100_2106.jpg100_2107.jpg100_2108.jpg100_2110.jpg100_2111.jpg100_2112.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Thank you so much Dave and Ron!! You guys are the dictionary definition of good friends, I know because I looked up the word and it had both of your pictures!!:beer:

Some where, some time when you least expect it...I'll be there to return the favors.:papabear:

Tin Medic

OOPS !!!!!!!!! I think I was looking for a part hidden in the engine compartment and all of a sudden !!!!!!!!!!
1st, whats going to happen with the boat anchor?

2nd, great job on getting that out, its nice having a wrecker handy.

3rd, OOPS nothing, youre in trouble mister.

4th, PB, hit him with the zapper thingy.

How long did it take from start to finish to remove the drivetrain?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
1st, whats going to happen with the boat anchor?
2nd, great job on getting that out, its nice having a wrecker handy.
3rd, OOPS nothing, youre in trouble mister.
4th, PB, hit him with the zapper thingy.
How long did it take from start to finish to remove the drivetrain?
1 - We are gonna try hard to save the original engine...yes, I know it'll be slow and underpowered but...:shrugs:

2 - Yes, they did a great job removing the heart from the ole girl! I owe Ron big time for the wrecker assist!:beer:

3/4 - OK, I wasn't gonna tell anybody BUT... Deb called me late Friday evening and said that Zout had been good and had made amazing progress on his Honeydo list and that he was curled up in a ball on the back patio and twitching uncontrollably and drooling while looking at the K-18C!:shock:
Deb thought I had accidently zapped the poor feller so she said he could work on the truck Saturday if he promised to take it easy and could find someone to help him!

Hey...Deb and I are NOT heartless...regardless of what Zout tells ya!!

Now I need to control myself and not run up there before Zout's cookout to get the power pack.

Again...outstanding job CAMO North Crew!:not worthy:

zout

That OEM engine power plant I totally agree should be placed back in it. There are other options out there but to keep the original engine in it is a good more - but what do I know - its what I would be doing.

If I were not twitching violently from some collar thingy - while Ron had that baby in the air would have been the MOST outstanding time to get under it and work hard on pressure washing it - talk about drooling to get a major step done that was it - rest of its just a cake walk.

Ron did an outstanding job as well and tried hard listening to knucklehead me's instructions of what I wanted done - he did good. Once he learned my toolbox layout he was good to go.

PB - engine is on the cherry picker - the K would be easy to just roll backwards to get up to the garage door to load it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Started about 07:30, about 15:00 on the ground ready to be moved , about 15:30 moved to where it is, you have to remember that K18 is DESIGNED for the engine to be removed FROM the FRONT. I dropped the engine (with some suggestions from Dave when he snuck away from house painting), Dave and I did the move.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm gonna ask MB if I can bring the engine in the living room to rebuild it so we can be together while she watches her Spanish soap operas and I work on the engine.:naner:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I'm gonna ask MB if I can bring the engine in the living room to rebuild it so we can be together while she watches her Spanish soap operas and I work on the engine.:naner:

Go for it as long as we know where/when the funnel is.

zout

Got another project off the list today - got the sprinkler system lines replaced that had frozen and shooting towers of water from the leaks. Had to test the system of course to make sure everything worked properly and all the area's were getting covered - SOOOOO letting it run twice was better than once. Did you know your not suppose to cut wet grass !!! GO FIGURE - one thing off my list to do today while I waddled down and got this done. Was not happy with a couple area's and wanted to get them done.100_2121.jpg100_2122.jpg100_2123.jpg100_2124.jpg

nattieleather

Y'all are doing incredible great work! Such craftsmanship! Keep at it and post pics when you can. I wish I still had relatives in GA so I'd have a reason to come visit and see this in person. Keep up the great work!

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Don't laugh at me, and it's probably just my imagination...but that ole girl seems to be "perking up" and standing taller...I mean in addition to the outstanding work the Commander has done!!:shock:

It's like she has hope for the future now!:beer:

zout

Excuse me to not be so nieve - BUT I saw that truck done in the finished state when I first laid eyes on it - like every other project I have done. To me its no big deal - its just labor to get it there to where YOU start to see it all coming together. Not trying to be modest or anything like it - I just know what I can do and see the project before me and its already in a done state - sorry - and I truly am but that is just how I see stuff.

As soon as PB posted the pics up I was drooling and short of begging to get my paws on it - But I know the Southern Camo fellas are more than talented and qualified to get er done just as well and maybe even in a better state - and this is no BS - I know them fellas and they are awesome at what they do and like me we enjoy what we do and do not look upon it as work.

SO THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN PB for shipping it North to CAMO MAFIA. Between the engine and the rest of the mechanical items on it you fellas will more than have your fair share of the project so you can go sell ice cream to the kiddies in Columbus - now to find some music for the ice cream sound system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks