• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

zout

Catching up here - Jim I totally agree that after Wake Island there was hardly anything left not destroyed or taken out during the battle. They were operated on other islands though but there is so little detail and information on these units it is difficult to locate some hard data.

That crate is the the bus version of what was called the DECO years from 41 to 47. The grille although is exactly what goes on PB's K 18 hands down and without a doubt from all the pics I have collected and signs from the truck itself.

As for the Signal Corp emblem - I would take a pass on sticking anything on it if it was not know without just throwing something on there - I prefer to know exactly what it was and where it served its duty time. As for the 3rd Army - its a no brainer as that was on the very first coat of paint on the surface as well at that #17 was - no idea what that was either.

As far as getting chit done and stop thinking about the after effects - there is still a little bit of straightening that exterior lip of the back - then once straight get it riveted into place - but I am doubling up on rivets and not using screws either. The bumper ends on either side will have carriage bolts in them instead of makeshift sqare headed plow bolts.
Pics of of the 6 windows soaking at this time of a full can of PB Blaster. No hurry here either.100_2138.jpg100_2139.jpg100_2140.jpg

OMG wow I love that truck I lived where Jeepers Creepers was filmed I got to see the church and drove on the road it was filmed on I d give anything to hear the horn from the movie LOL I always wondered what model it was will be watching this build.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Catching up here - Jim I totally agree that after Wake Island there was hardly anything left not destroyed or taken out during the battle. They were operated on other islands though but there is so little detail and information on these units it is difficult to locate some hard data.

That crate is the the bus version of what was called the DECO years from 41 to 47. The grille although is exactly what goes on PB's K 18 hands down and without a doubt from all the pics I have collected and signs from the truck itself.

As for the Signal Corp emblem - I would take a pass on sticking anything on it if it was not know without just throwing something on there - I prefer to know exactly what it was and where it served its duty time. As for the 3rd Army - its a no brainer as that was on the very first coat of paint on the surface as well at that #17 was - no idea what that was either.

As far as getting chit done and stop thinking about the after effects - there is still a little bit of straightening that exterior lip of the back - then once straight get it riveted into place - but I am doubling up on rivets and not using screws either. The bumper ends on either side will have carriage bolts in them instead of makeshift sqare headed plow bolts.
Pics of of the 6 windows soaking at this time of a full can of PB Blaster. No hurry here either.View attachment 488515View attachment 488516View attachment 488517
Yessirrebob Dixie!! That ole girl is about to get her groove on!!:goodjob:

Zout...Have I said thank you lately for all you're doing?:beer:

I'm gonna see if patracy will let me start an "MV Fixer Upper of The Year" contest and nominate you!:not worthy:

zout

Nope -= wrong MFG on the truck - Jeepers Creepers truck was not a GMC nor this truck. Check out the Grille Louvers - that is a Chevy. Those are all vertical louvers - the GMC is Horizontal louvers. Besides a lot of other differences.

Yeah PB my ears keep ringing with someone speaking at me or about me.

Be working on that rear bracing along with the side to get in yet and aligned to get it bolted and welded in to place then bombard it with the undercoating I have to keep that from happening again. The Metal I ordered is thicker gauge as well and has more stability to it for that back wall support.

zout

Here is another image of the front grille that will be going on it 10604295105_1ac17bd3e0.jpg
I bet PapaBear gets more folks stopping him for the Double Fudge Ripple ice cream cone with sprinkles on the top or a Butter Pecan Triple decker on a waffle cone than he has hitchhikers stopping him.

MMMM - Think I will take a break and head over to Brewsters Ice Cream parlor - making me hungry.

Tin Medic

Zout, we are now on the same page. When you say grill you were refering to the brush guard and when I say grill I was refering to the actual grill on the truck. LOL

zout

Grille - brush guard - tomato - tomato - LOFL

Anyhow now that we are all up to speed - got the rear channel steel riveted in and doubled up on the rivets for stability. Got the side rear section cut out and clamped into place - there will be a little more work to getting this section squared off to be done with the rear.
Got a couple other things done if your paying attention as well.
I will get the door threshold plates measured off to accept 1 inch flooring of whatever type it may be - so I can finish the door framing - get the passenger door squared up to close properly along with sanding down the framework to get this all into PRIMER - yes PRIMER first coat.

Cab will be left as second stage - box was the worse believe it or not and that is why so much has gone into getting this right first.

Here are the pics:100_2141.jpg100_2142.jpg100_2143.jpg100_2144.jpg100_2145.jpg100_2146.jpg100_2147.jpg100_2148.jpg100_2149.jpg That piece of aluminum will be shaped into the stingray type shield that covers the vent above the cab - this will be a later project once the cab gets played whoop arse onto.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Wait a minute! I thought there was to be NO work done until AFTER the picnic?
Look up several posts...Zout-2 gave Zout a reprieve (limited) because he did so well on his honey do list, plus, he was combat ineffective cause he was twitching and drooling so much looking at the K18-C while trying to do his chores.:beer:

rickf

AHA, Understood. The drooling didn't have anything to do with the repeated zaps from the remote did it? I know you said it was hilarious to watch him flop around like a fish out of water. LOL.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
AHA, Understood. The drooling didn't have anything to do with the repeated zaps from the remote did it? I know you said it was hilarious to watch him flop around like a fish out of water. LOL.
Negative Sir...I would NEVER do something like that to my friend!!...
Well...except to test the system that first day...well...and there was that time I was mad at one of my drivers so I MAY have touched that button...well...and when Zout-2 called me and said Zout wouldn't get up after a 26 hour work day...and...well....I think REPEATED may be an overstatement...

Oh...and there was that rainy day...needed to see if rain had any extra effect...and...actually flopping like a fish is a good analogy.:roll:

Of course out of respect for my best friend, I will never share the video...unless...:papabear:

Last edited:

zout

Under PB's garage camera's hidden at my place I have learned to CAMOflage my twitich and waddling reactions to make it harder to distinguish when he is zapping me or just my normal (if you want to call it that) self.

As far as behaving as promised to my friend - I got home last night at 4:16 - got up to the house even after taking the pictures at around 5:30 - so that is the timeframe that last bit of work got done in. The rest of the night was chowing down some dinner and chocolate chip ice cream I brought up from the truck and sat around with the 4 squirrels watching a movie called PAUL - theatrical version (was tempted to shut it off several times). Plus discussed the movie with the afterwards.

Will get that right rear corner bracing riveted into place and welded onto its crossmembers where it belongs tonight. Then get the undercoating on it. Between this and getting the threshold plates in - bottom of doorframes replacement metal cut and welded in - then comes some 2k Matrix high build primer first coat - then hours of sanding time (after the cookout).

nattieleather

Amazing work you are doing there Zout! PB you've got to be smiling chest out like a proud Papabear! As for the unit that truck was with. Since the truck was here in the states I'd look for a 3rd Army unit that was state side during the war. In all likely hood that truck never left home soil. If it had gone over seas it would have most likely stayed there. But if you want to mark it as part of Patton's HQ that's cool too!

zout

I have been HUNDREDS of pages in the web here and there and everywhere like maybe a few of you have been searching pics - tracing down links - looking at other pics of similar trucks but it does not count as there is hardly anything on any information site to find out more. Even if the truck was given a specific model # other than a K 18 like a lot of Chevy units were and searching down DECO era units you keep seeing the same ole trucks and pictures - nothing more than what has been posted about this unit has been found - trust me - I have been searching hard and I do not give up easily. What has been posted is what you see - anyone finding any more info please post it up.

For the night I was pretty much done when my neighbor who will be at the cookout with his wife asked for some assistance getting his lawn tractor unstuck in the middle of the power lines cutting out trails for the folks walking in the backyards to the pool - I see some of ya nodding your head like NO - but I did it anyhow and that was the end of my night. It took me over an hour to get back to the house - BUT - here is what I got done up to that point on the K.100_2150.jpg100_2151.jpg100_2152.jpg rear corner piece welded in and secured. Threshold plate passenger side cut out and welded in - more metal fab work to do on the upright post for the closure side to get done. I will get the drivers side threshold plate in and welded and go back to fabbing in metal for the cut out rusted out area's. PB - do you remember you could not pry that drivers cargo door open - NOT NOW :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks