• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

zout

Well - its just info only - but everything I find on information and some of which I have e mailed you is that these units were state of the art communications systems. They were to guide air crews into an air strip and also they reason they are found on islands as well during WW2. These systems were short lived as technology advanced due to security - reason for less info on these is they were top secret and also found in SCR info letters that were restricted.

Pilots would follow the micro wave beam that was coned shaped into the air field on whatever island. A whole different world back then.

I know tomorrow stuff gets sanded and working the way into the 2k high build primer - any more than that thinking makes my brain hurt.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well - its just info only - but everything I find on information and some of which I have e mailed you is that these units were state of the art communications systems. They were to guide air crews into an air strip and also they reason they are found on islands as well during WW2. These systems were short lived as technology advanced due to security - reason for less info on these is they were top secret and also found in SCR info letters that were restricted.

Pilots would follow the micro wave beam that was coned shaped into the air field on whatever island. A whole different world back then.

I know tomorrow stuff gets sanded and working the way into the 2k high build primer - any more than that thinking makes my brain hurt.
I've read some of the history you've sent Zout and picked up a little here and there. That's why I want this baby so bad. I nearly barfed when I saw it sitting under that pine tree rusting quietly away.

zout

Well lets see if we can get ya a litte closer to your "dream truck" tonight.

I see the upper area of the cab in 2k primer tonight and the rest of the black bare metal 2k primer sanded - due to the heat in late afternoon on that side I will be watching it close when I am shooting it - don't want it drying before it hits the surface - OOPS.

I want the primer on that windshield are before repairing it - good base and solid repair on top to seal it all off - paint will close the deal.

Can you picture what I saw already - by mid week the entire truck in TM Ordinance #8 one coat - get them orgasm pills handy.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Looks like I'm going to have to buy or build a BIG storage building to put the DUKW, WC-22, K18-C, Proud, and anything else I don't wanna leave outside!

Yes Zout, I can picture that baby all painted up and running...guess I better get off me arse and get busy on an engine eh??!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's even uglier..........Looks like you could build the grill off that pic.

nattieleather

I've said ti before and I'll say it again. Keep up the good work! You are doing a great job! For what it's worth I vote on the 270 and be done with it. Aint nobody going to know if it's "correct" or not. Put it back in and make it go varoom varoom... :)

Congrats to all of you on your great project and thank you for allowing us a look into what you are doing. Thank you.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like I'm going to have to buy or build a BIG storage building to put the DUKW, WC-22, K18-C, Proud, and anything else I don't wanna leave outside!

Yes Zout, I can picture that baby all painted up and running...guess I better get off me arse and get busy on an engine eh??!
"If you build it I will come" Leave some room for the WC51 and Ben Hur trailer. :grin:

zout

Dragged the digital temp gun down to show hot fricking butt arse baking HOT it is - now that I am done whining.

Here are your pics for the night to chew on.IMG_1369.jpgIMG_1370.jpgIMG_1372.jpgIMG_1373.jpgIMG_1374.jpgIMG_1375.jpgIMG_1376.jpgIMG_1377.jpgIMG_1378.jpg

zout

Memorial Day weekend coming up with extra time to work on it - I foresee GREEN all around - then again I see another PB orgasm prematurely coming on. Till then - its hand sanding time and get the top primered.

goldneagle

I got a 40' by 40' building for sale if interested.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Thanks for the excellent progress and the pics Zout! I REALLY needed it tonight.:beer:

Why you may ask?

Well...Tony was off today so I ask him to start disassembling the 270 and get the head turned in to be worked. Well, when he took off the side plate which covers the lifters/push rods he found a DEEP crack in the block about 8 inches long!!aua Oh... Other than that, the engine looked good as new. Been rebuilt 20 over and absolutely NO cylinder wear etc.
Welding the block is not an option for me.

Not to be stymied, we checked the 270 block from the DUKW and found some deep pitting in the cylinder walls. The block is already 20 over but I'm prepared to go 60 over if needed as there is plenty of meat between the cylinders and the water jackets.

ALso, a friend of mine stopped by and said he has a "ran when parked" 248CI engine in a 49 chevy truck. I'm going to his place in Alabama tomorrow to take a peek if I can sneak off from the boss long enough.:naner:

Hey...nobody said this was gonna be an easy project!:papabear:

Last edited:

zout

Ya know - I just go day by day and take it as its thrown at me and do what I need to do. Same way if I may say you should take the engine coming at you - it just all falls into place if you do not rush it or push it.

I find it more interesting to work outside in the environment and do what I need to do - I challenge anyone to come work next to me in these conditions and at my speed. Just too old to consider anything else to work in - its my realm.

CAMO will do what is right for a power plant and I for one will stand behind it - lets move on and get this baby ready for the transplant.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ya know - I just go day by day and take it as its thrown at me and do what I need to do. Same way if I may say you should take the engine coming at you - it just all falls into place if you do not rush it or push it.

I find it more interesting to work outside in the environment and do what I need to do - I challenge anyone to come work next to me in these conditions and at my speed. Just too old to consider anything else to work in - its my realm.

CAMO will do what is right for a power plant and I for one will stand behind it - lets move on and get this baby ready for the transplant.
Well...I do have that LS motor in that wrecked Corvette.:naner:

zout

WELL - sent you the pic of a CF-351 with a V8 mid chassis behind the cab - all WE have to do is cut a hole and make the driveshaft a little shorter is all and some linkages a little longer. Building a cover over the engine in the box is a breeze. VRRRRROOOM

whiskey357

Banned
looking good man ...and Zout has done a great job on it so far...drop in a short block 350 and you will have the fastes Ice Cream in town ...........Looking man..........When does the riffers go in???????

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks