• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 M135 W/Winch

USMC 00-08

I checked out a carburetor from one of the parts trucks. Everything is the same size as what was in my other carburetor. The pieces in the new kit have smaller openings. I'll be taking the rebuilt carburetor to get looked at tomorrow and will bring the kit pieces to show the guy and ask his opinion.

In the mean time, I went parts hunting. I found this but the rod is 1/4 inch shorter than the original. The diameter is .004 less than the original. If it turns out that it will work for us, I'll post the part number.
100_2255.jpg

Edit-------This shorter accelerator pump will not work. The diameter is right though.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 accelerator pump

Good thing it's in the carb, the boys would never forgive me getting pink on the trucks.

The logic of 'soaking' something porous in oil to make it smaller, is just not there. It's softer so maybe crammin' it in the hole a few hundred times will shape it.

A little tough judging size because of the squeeze factor but the original, dry, well fitting seal is about 0.20 over. 0.061
g749 carb cel 006.jpg

The pump from our new kit might have gained size after a soak in auto trans fluid. Not a lot of difference except for the pliability. Maybe pops was right.
g749 carb cel 003.jpgcarb cel 2 001.jpg

USMC 00-08

I think we have solved the accelerator pump problem. The visit to Ace Carburetor in Tulsa was a success. Richard, who runs the business, had seen the Holley 885-FFG before and knew what to do. The accelerator pump that came in the rebuild kit was too large. He had a whole drawer full of the accelerator pumps we need and installed one. It fit great and functioned right. Here is a picture of the old and new side by side. I bought 3 extras. There was no box with them, but the number on them is 64-61A. Richard could not remember the manufacturer. I need to do some searching and find out the maker so we can add that number to the part list. If anyone needs to call Richard for parts or whatever, his number is 918-838-8565. (He said it was ok for me to give his info out.)
100_2256.jpg

I also asked him about the brass parts in the rebuild kit. He said that the larger diameter openings on the original pieces will give us more power. The long brass tube pieces are for fuel drain back. He said that crimped ends on the originals limit the amount of fuel that drains back and prevents the truck from blowing a lot of black smoke. Now I am glad I reused the originals.

Tomorrow I will try to re-install the carburetor on the truck and try it out.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The long brass tube pieces are for fuel drain back. He said that crimped ends on the originals limit the amount of fuel that drains back and prevents the truck from blowing a lot of black smoke. Now I am glad I reused the originals.
That is all good news. Thought I found that part number in a marine Yamaha but it's a goose chase so far. I knew we'd find one. The new pump I soaked in Trani Fluid took a beating while I watched our Oiler's lose another game. I just kept working it in and out from the taper to the bottom, left if sit in the carb overnight and today seems to slide in the port with just a wee bit of force. Still feels like too much so how much resistance does the purdy pink one have?

The M135 spits drops of soot on start up but can't say I've ever seen it blow black. I'll try the larger tubes when the snow melts or global warming picks up.

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

how much resistance does the purdy pink one have?
Not much resistance at all. You can feel a little pressure when moved each way, but not near as much as from the one that was in that kit.

If time allows, I will go by the parts store tomorrow and see if they can cross reference that number.

I pulled off the old rusted out muffler and plan on getting the one I found with the parts trucks put on in its place this weekend.

(And there is my promotion to Steel Soldiers Colonel)

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got the Holley accelerator pump HOL-30R92A today. 2.394" long and 0.61"diameter. The cup is greyish leather. It feels like a heavy paper, almost like a recipe card. Much thinner than what is in my kits. I bet it will work.

USMC 00-08

The accelerator pump I used is 2.385" long and 0.61" diameter. Yours should work.

I installed the carburetor with the new pump in it yesterday and it works great!! No more spitting, sputtering or stumbling when accelerating from a complete stop. Today I installed the exhaust system using the exhaust flange rings I mentioned previously. Everything went together as it should. Those fixes made a huge difference and it doesn't seem like the same truck anymore. These trucks are sure quiet with a muffler and no exhaust leaks.

USMC 00-08

I just realized that I have not posted pictures of my first 1952 M135 (#4984). I've had it almost 8 years. It needs some transmission work. One day soon, I will get it out here where I live now.

M135.jpg100_0677.jpg100_0676.jpg100_0675.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love the truck but I keep looking at the ancient steel wheels beside the deuce so I must ask; What is 'Pumpkin' hanging out with? It looked like a grader but with the farm equipment I'm hoping it's a breaking plow, cool shots.

I live in flat country but that is the flattest country I have ever seen. I'm sure I can see my backyard in that one photo facing north. Beautiful spot, feels like a guy can take a big deep breath of fresh air.

Can't wait to see the fleet photos!

USMC 00-08

The truck is in SW Kansas about 45 miles from the Colorado border. I used to live out there almost 2 years ago. It is so flat out there that at night, you can see towns over 50 miles away. The wind never stops blowing and winters were quite miserable. When it would snow, I have seen the snow drifts go over the power lines.

The pictures are 7 or 8 years old so I am not sure what the farm equipment is. The truck is parked at a friends house. At one time they had some really neat old equipment there, but I don't know if they kept it or not. Seems like they were going to sell it to collectors at one point. If it is something any of you are interested in, I can find out.

"Pumpkin" probably needs a new transmission since it does not move and dies when you put it in high range. Only first and reverse work in low range. I was thinking of trying out the transmissions out of my parts trucks to get her back working. One of the parts transmissions only has 6,000 miles on it and the other 14,000. I'm hoping one of the two is good. The fluids in them seem clean and water free.

Brad

That is a great find.
We have one here that seems the same. I think that is a heater laying in the bed.
I have a hard top for it here, doors, a hood, all on another older cab.
Maybe other parts if you find you need anything. Ya never know.
I have had a ton of breaak problems. Always lock up.
This spring we are going to replace ALL the rubber lines.
CongradulationsT 7.jpg

Brad

Well, where are you located??
There are some things we need for this truck of my Dad's and perhaps we can work a deal??
I also have bed parts, bows, some canvas, etc??
We have had brake problems and need a complete new set of the rubber lines. I dont know if they can be purchased to fit or have to have them made up?
I think there are a total of six rubber lines alltogether, just from memory.
I guess the biggest obstical is how far we might be apart???
I am in western Pennsylvania, about 60 miles east of Pittsburgh?
Regards,
Brad Foust
724-235-1140

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 accelerator pump

The accelerator pump I used is 2.385" long and 0.61" diameter. Yours should work.

I installed the carburetor with the new pump in it yesterday and it works great!! No more spitting, sputtering or stumbling when accelerating from a complete stop. Today I installed the exhaust system using the exhaust flange rings I mentioned previously. Everything went together as it should. Those fixes made a huge difference and it doesn't seem like the same truck anymore. These trucks are sure quiet with a muffler and no exhaust leaks.

Had some insight on beating up the 'replacements' so they can be used. After a 24hr auto transmission fluid soak and a large effort to work it by hand inside the carb, it was still tight.

One of the old boys suggested banding or wrapping the leather overnight so the ever handy dental floss was evenly applied to give it a squeeze. It now moves freely with slight resistance so we shouldn't give up on the re-build kit until we floss.

We're also expecting a fresh mint smell from the exhaust when we fire up in the spring so just a win/win solution.

Cel dec g749 003.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a NOS rebuild kit and noticed that the jets and various other pieces that were already in the carburetor had larger diameter openings than what came in the rebuild kit. I chose to reuse the old parts. Here is a comparison of what I am talking about. Does anyone see a reason why I shouldn't have gone back with what was already in there? The new replacement part is on the left and old is on the right.
View attachment 531034View attachment 531035
I might have found a little lead on what you have. Back in post #115 on the G749 preservation thread, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?52255-G749-preservation/page12 135GMC mentioned .........."""""There are some rebuilt carbs floating around the surplus dealers that were set up for armor. I had one that drove me nuts until I saw a reference to the stroke in a carb TM, and that cured all my problems"""""........

Maybe some of the G749 veterans and Gurus have more details but you may have a carb set up for armor. How bout that for a Christmas gift.:carnac:

:tigger:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tested several different ones. Holley accelerator pump 30R-92A has a much thinner leather seal. it is very pliable compared to what came in the rebuild kit. It is also the one listed in the ORD-8 for the G749. It fits and slides even dry. Obviously this is NOS from an online auction.

"G749 ORD 8 Piston, accelerator pump G749-7529161 Mfg. PN: HOL-30R92A"

Dan

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks