• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1968 JK M35A2 Restoration Project!

odnorth

Hey Mike, took you a couple years to come around to the Canadian way to paint a deuce, but better late then never. Expect to see that windscreen down at the next rally.

Gunfreak25

How cheap are you getting your Behr? I paid $33 a gallon here! I am due for another gallon now that I have both my wooden troop racks disassembled and fully stripped for paint.

wsucougarx

Hey Mike, took you a couple years to come around to the Canadian way to paint a deuce, but better late then never. Expect to see that windscreen down at the next rally.
You know Rob it must be all those trips north of the border. It's starting to rub on me, eh. I love it Rob. I have the other colors but this all green color is starting to grow on me....hmm what to do

wsucougarx

Today I began putting the cab back together. Ahh, there's just something about a newly painted dash and fresh looking dataplates. It's quite contrasting. To add more contrast I added stainless steel dataplate mounting screws...well originally it was to combat the hard to remove old ones because they were rusted to the dash:-x. I got the MT's all mounted and wired into the VIC-1. I tracked down a couple more CX-4723 cables today.
I replaced my plastic from turn signals with a set of aluminum housed ones I had laying around. I also decided to mount the lollipop signal lights more or less for safety more than anything. I also have a VS-17 I will display in the rear as well. I also wired in two C-10456 VIC-1 stations in the bed of the truck for parade/emergency comms. The first one is right on the headboard that will have an LS-454 hooked onto it. Then I piggybacked a 16 ft CX-4723 cable to another station on the starboard rear part of the bed.
I still need to mount an AB-15 w/MS-116a/117a/118a antenna for my R-442a/VRC. I also have an RT-524aVRC for this truck already. The MX-6707 w/the AS-1729 antenna. She's almost done.

Attachments

wsucougarx

3 color camo

Looks really nice....
Thanks, I was able to shoot a couple more colors on her today. And yes the brown and black are exterior Behr paint from Home Depot as well. I did use Rustoleum Rattle can paint for the stencils though.
First couple pics of her pulled out of her stall.
Second set of pics show the chalk lines for the color
Third set of pics show just brown and green
Fourth set of pics black applied
Fifth set are the stenciling process. Yes all those were cut out of poster paper with an hobby knife.
D'oh I forgot to take a pic of the paint formula for the brown and black. I'll try and get them up tomorrow. I'm too tired to get them now;-)

Looking in retrospect, I kind of like the solid green color.

The sun was blaring so the actual color is much darker than what the pics show. I've got the serious sunburn to prove it..haha

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Couple more items on the project list for this truck is wiring in a 12 volt dash plug, getting the aux lights wired in, backup lights, and getting those lollipop lights to work.
Things I have added throughout the years:
Bed mounted aux fuel tank
Windshield washer kit
Upgraded to metal windshield wiper motors
Added the dash defrost vents
Air tank drain kit
Low air pressure warning light
Winch kit
Bumper steps

Heavysteven

Pics look great, are you happy with the colors? Does it have the wet CARC look? I got to give you credit for finding a great substitue so cheap and readily availible. Good job excellent thread too.

wsucougarx

Hey I just noticed the quick reply got fixed today!! Thanks computer expert guys

Oh and as promised here is the BEHR recipe for 383 Brown CARC substitute
I had them mix up flat black as well, so here's the recipe as well. Not sure if I like the flat black as there is a hint of shine with the paint. However being black, more than likely it will flatten after it cure

Brown formula removed. Home depot put the wrong label on the bucket.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Pics look great, are you happy with the colors? Does it have the wet CARC look? I got to give you credit for finding a great substitue so cheap and readily availible. Good job excellent thread too.
Thanks! I am happy with the colors. Hmm, not sure about what it looks like wet but can't tell the difference when dry. Can you spot the real CARC from Behr CARC Substitute?;-) My pic looks lighter due to it being a clear 85 degree day. Sun was right at high noon. If it were Gillespie paint it would probably be blinding the camera...haha

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Great work Mike! hmm maybe I should leave my M1008 with you while I'm gone, I think it would look great in woodland.
:D
Haha there you go. I like the paint on your truck though. I wouldn't want to mess it up. That's what I want to do on my next project, a desert tan truck w/a desert storm theme. I like the black coalition force upside down V on the doors and hood

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks