• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1968 JK M35A2 Restoration Project!

wsucougarx

Oh and if you're wondering I am no way affiliated with Home Depot nor Behr paint. I am not receiving any loyalties or perks from either company...haha. No but seriously, I know we're all on a budget (even more so now), I just wanted to explore a less expensive alternative to CARC and Gillespie. I know Gillespie paint in itself is not very expensive but with shipping it gets up there. I figured the paint job on my '68 was getting pretty bad. I had nothing to loose.;-) After the second day of drying I was up near the gun mount, I dropped my hammer on the hood where it proceeded to slide down. Surprisingly it didn't break the paint...whew! So after just two days of drying she's pretty tough (albiet they were two 80+ degree days).
This is my son's truck. He wanted the 3 color CARC. Now he's telling me he wants to be an Army Ranger. He asked me "Daddy can you make this truck belong to the RANGER unit where the guy got the Medal of Honor?" So it appears I'll have to make up unit stencils for 2/75th Ranger Batt for him. My father in law will like this as he went through Ranger School. Oh by the way my son is only 7 years old. He knows what a Ranger is, knows what a Ranger looks like, knows how a Ranger carries himself, and knows how tough it is to be a Ranger. It's amazing what a 7 year old absorbs. When we're at the PX or commissary at JBLM (I still call it Fort Lewis), he'll be in the middle of doing something only to stop to stare at the guys walking by in their tan berets.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

My son and I took his truck out today. Couldn't have asked for a better day or a better drive!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI09uYhT_gQ[/media]

Truckie

Very Nice work! - Thanks for BEHR numbers. I am going to try using a match to the Krylon Camo Rattle can. That way I will be able to touch up easily. I will post picts when done with the M105. Attached is the match to the Krylon Camo, if interested.

Attachments

dozer1

I have been slow to warm up to this using house paint to paint a deuce idea, but you sure did a nice job. Looks and sounds like it must work. Would knock out that hazzardous shipping bill.

oddshot

I have been slow to warm up to this using house paint to paint a deuce idea, but you sure did a nice job. Looks and sounds like it must work. Would knock out that hazardous shipping bill.
As long as it don't slide off when I hit the brakes hard it'll do just FINE for me and the Mother Duck!!!
Even this old college student can afford a $50 paint job!!!

Minimal prep ... just a stiff bristle brush and etc ... dang! :shock: I'll even be happy putting on FOUR coats!!!

I got a couple weeks off from school coming up ...

A beautiful AMERICA starts with a decent paint job on your truck!!!

Its the PATRIOTIC thing to do!

oddshot

BTW ... thanks for the HOT idea ... this is gonna save me a LOT of money.

wsucougarx

By far not the most impressive set of pics. However, this was the most time consuming and back breaking task to date. More so than installing the winch kit on this truck. What you see are a series of pics which represent the wiring harnesses I made custom for my accessories on my trucks (3 harnesses in all with 1 more pending--one for each of my trucks).
The wiring harness are for the following:
Dual back up lights
Auxillary Fuel Tank Power
Auxillary Fuel Tank Level Sending Unit Lead Wire
Auxillary Lighting (Separate wire for High and Low Beams)
Auxillary IR Lighting (Separate wire for High and Low Beams)

I got a good deal on ebay for 12g Prestolite Military wire so that's what I used. I used the standard 14g wire for the fuel tank level sending unit wire. I used approximately 140 ft of wire per harness. Each branch was individually wrapped with electrical tape and numbered according to the M-series wiring number system.....talk about a lesson in patience. In all this project took 10 hours for the 3 harness. Most of the time was spent measing. I used a piece of string for my jig on the ground. Process worked out great. Next step is installing the wiring harness, putting the connectors on, and hopefully it'll work out;-).

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Birthday Party

My wife and insisted I bring the '68 to town for my son's 8th birthday...."oh ok quit asking me already!":wink: No pics of kids around the truck....I didn't want them to scratch the paint:roll:. I know I know, the honeymoon phase of the new paint should wear off in a few more weeks.
I still need to replace all the hoses, flush the coolant system, add new coolant, and get the coolant filter hooked up. Hoping to get her done this week. Then she'll be good to go!

Attachments

wsucougarx

I got the brackets at Home Depot in the electrical section. Somewhere in my M109A3 write up I show what they look like. Just need to drill a couple holes and you're good to go

Olywadan

Hey I just noticed the quick reply got fixed today!! Thanks computer expert guys

Oh and as promised here is the BEHR recipe for 383 Brown CARC substitute
I had them mix up flat black as well, so here's the recipe as well. Not sure if I like the flat black as there is a hint of shine with the paint. However being black, more than likely it will flatten after it cures.
Pics:
Pic 1: 383 Green CARC substitute using Behr 4300 base (flat)
Pic 2: 383 Brown CARC substitute using Behr 4300 base (flat)
Pic 3: Flat black using Behr 4300 base (flat)

Just FYI. The green and the brown have the same serial number on them. So if you go into the store expecting the green you might go home with the brown. :sad: I'm waiting a call back from the manager to see if I can get a hook up with the green since it's a non-returnable item.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks