• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1968 JK M35A2 Restoration Project!

wsucougarx

Man I'm sorry about that. I didn't bother to check to verify home depot put the correct labels on the lids. I just assumed they were correct with the paint blotch on the label.

wsucougarx

After the technical difficulties with the Home Depot formula mix up, I went down to Home Depot to question the labels they placed on the last batch of paint. They agreed they put the wrong label on my last batch of green and apologized. I had them pull up my green formula and had them mix up a gallon for my MEP-006a project.
So here are the VERIFIED 383 CARC Substitute formulas...whew!!!
Again sorry for any confusion
Picture:
1- 383 Green
2- 383 Brown
3- Flat Black

Attachments

Olywadan

Thanks. Now to see if I can smooth talk them into the Green. And seriously, If anyone needs some brown let me know.

Last edited:

oddshot

So here are the VERIFIED 383 CARC Substitute formulas...whew!!!
Double Whew!!!

AS a sixty year old college student on a VERY tight budget ... I was very thankful when this Behr Paint thing came up. My 1968 AMG is pretty near 100% rust free ... and deserves a FAR better a paint job then I can give it right now. I was hoping that the cheaper Behr paint would get me through for a while ... so much so that last week I scraped up the money turning in deposit bottles (remember deposit bottles?) and bought two gallons ... using the 383 Green formula you posted down in the Paint thread.

I had the person at the paint counter open the cans after mixing just to make sure that I was getting the 1970 Vietnam War 383 "pickle suit" green color I want to paint my truck.

Well ... It sure is green.

and it seems to work pretty good. The only place that my truck had any bad rust/rot issues was the windshield and frames. Jimma came up with a replacement windshield (thank you very much) and I just spent a couple days pulling it all apart, resealing, cleaning, priming ... and ... today ... painting.

I haven't used a spray gun yet ... the windshield and stuff is just too small to bother ... but today I laid down two good coats of green on the frame and etc ...

and it looks GREAT!!! As somebody mentioned in another thread ... when wet, the color is a *little* light ... but when its dry, the color is EXACTLY what I hoped for.

Thanks.

oddshot

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Outstanding oddshot[thumbzup] I'm glad it worked out for you. Using the Behr has a couple benefits. As you mentioned the price is right. For me, more importantly, it is truely flat like CARC. I have the bumper on my '86 painted with Behr paint. Two years later it still looks good and is very tough paint. The area where it is is just under the winch chain.

Last edited:

Vintage iron

I am usually a perfectionist, but I am trying to quit. Try to do everything perfect, makes everything take to long and to much money. The military did the spray and pray. Why can't I! :grd:

Olywadan

1st coat down. Thankfully it's green this time. A really nice green too. Pretty much used 1 gallon for everything except the interior.

Thanks for your write up wsucougarx. This bud's for you. Pretty must followed everything you did. Even the sprayer. It works fine until your just about to run out, then it just spits giant globs of paint all over. Did you have that problem?

Attachments

wsucougarx

Looking Good!! I did have issues with paint blobs coming out towards the end. Come to think of it, I had little blobs the entire time. Did you shoot your paint straight without dilution? I ended up putting about 2.5 gallons (3-4 coats) on the exterior and cab interior. I didn't touch the inside of the bed as it really didn't need it. I put on 3-4 coats in order to fully cover the surface and to attain the "rough" CARC-like texture. Keep us posted on your progress. I've got two more deuce to paint. Thinking I'm going to paint them both plain 383 Green.

Olywadan

No dilution. The paint gun didn't seem to happy with the straight paint. I did the whole exterior and it took me 1 gallon. Granted I spilled a good chunk of it trying to get it into that small 1 quart storage container. I also applied it pretty heavily. I'm gonna shoot the 2nd coat tomorrow morning, and maybe go for a third in the evening. My bed really needs a painting, I was going to save it for a later date. Maybe use up some of the brown paint. Heh. Did you make your own stencils?

wsucougarx

I did make my own stencils. I used the Cardstock inkjet printer paper from Walmart. I just used a hobby knife to tediously cut each letter out. The stencil on the fuel tank was a test of endurance and perserverence...LOL. I used rattle can paint for applying the stencils.

wsucougarx

Yikes! Never had that happen. Wonder what happened? Did you clean/degrease the truck really good before spraying? Definately scrap, sand, clean, dry, and repaint. Weather should be nice from Wednesday on. Wonder if the tree shade didn't allow the paint to fully dry and the morning dew had it's way with the paint. I painted my trucks/generator under full sun and 70 plus degree.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks