• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1968 JK M35A2 Restoration Project!

wsucougarx

Whistler Turbo- Future Project

To date, I have owned 6 deuces. Funny thing is none of them had Whistler turbos. It was not by choice but by total coincidence. Well, Saturday was the day that I was going to change all that. I picked up a decent looking Whistler turbo for $100. I was happy to see it spun freely and there is no play. I don't know anything about turbos or what to look for. I didn't see any oil or oil residue inside the turbo itself....hopefully the seals are still good to go. I didn't see much soot either. Josh and I muscled this turbo off a exhaust manifold that was still connected to the valve head.
I found the oil pipe on this turbo was bent and I know I need to replace the gaskets. I found a complete LD to LDT kit on ebay for a great price. I love it when a plan comes together.
Install details to follow at a later date.

Does the turbo look OK?

Attachments

Olywadan

If your looking for technical advice, I'm not the one. But if you need some help installing it or some company let me know. I'm always down for a project.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had owned a ford powerstroke, with a straight pipe and it would whine, whistle or to some people, make a funny noise. I liked it, but save your old parts, the sound might get old. either way, you guys will have fun working on it, good luck

plym49

I am very supportive of your change to a whistler as that is something I would like to do to mine some day. Please post plenty of pix and text as you complete that part of the job. :D

roady

Well I finally bit the bullet and went and got three gallons of green and one brown of your Behr CARC Substitute..... I even got the Wagner spray gun to try out. I also got some Rustoleum rusty metal primer. Do I need to let the primer cure for a day or so before shooting the Behr paint on it? I thought I read somewhere that there is a fish oil or something in it that needs to cure but cant seem to find that thread now. I hope to prime tomorrow so wish me luck..

Thanks again for the formulas to the paint...

Gunfreak25

Rusty Metal Primer does contain fish oil, this soaks into the rust and is what halts it. This is why it also cures to darn slowly. Even if it's summer time, I'll let the stuff cure for 4 to 5 days. It should be absolutely rock hard and should not be soft at all when scratched with the thumb nail before painting over it. Otherwise, you end up with a top coat that scratches too easily.

flyboi__01

Ok folks I decided to revitalize this post. Today I went to home depot and ordered the paint mentioned in this post. After that was lowes and a hvlp paint gun. Wow! My cucv is looking good with the first coat on! A write up and pictures will follow this week!

wsucougarx

Outstanding;-). Sorry if I haven't done anything to this thread lately. Quite frankly I've ran out of things to do on this truck. However, super singles or 1100's are in it's future. The only thing is....I've been bit by the 5 ton bug. I'm looking to sell one of my deuces to get funds going for a 900 series 5 ton.

Gunfreak25

I think it was stumps here who once said, "Everytime I have the urge to buy a 5 ton, I move an old M813 brake drum I have across the yard once or twice. The urge dies pretty quickly. :lol:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks