• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1969 LCVP (Landing Craft, Vehicle, Personnel)

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
:shock:
I hope I don't regret this one...
36ft LCVP, fiberglass not wood.
IMG_0603.jpgIMG_0601.jpgIMG_0607.jpg
and it came with a bridge truck too.:shock:
IMG_0605.JPG
Anyone got any advice?
:carnac:I see a couple overwidth permits in my future. And a hefty tow bill.:(

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Marine construction companies use those, military museums are often looking for them, movie rental deals? I pulled one of those around behind my M880 on a tandem axle boat trailer for a while, they are not that heavy.

Now your big International bridge truck, that is heavy.

54reo

LST 1190 was one of the newer Newport-class of LSTs

Would be neat to know the story of how it got to where it is at.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Marine construction companies use those, military museums are often looking for them, movie rental deals? I pulled one of those around behind my M880 on a tandem axle boat trailer for a while, they are not that heavy.

Now your big International bridge truck, that is heavy.
That must have been a good workout for the 880. I've read the wood versions were about 18,000lbs, not exactly sure the weight of the fiberglass ones. The 6-71 diesel is currently out of it as well so that lightens it a little bit.
LST 1190 was one of the newer Newport-class of LSTs

Would be neat to know the story of how it got to where it is at.
Not quite sure how it ended up where it sits now. The owner passed away last year and his son wasn't sure of much if any history on it. LST 1190 carried 3 LCVPs as well as an LCPL. There are a couple pics of one of the other LCVPs (1190-4) online, and a post from about 10 years back where someone spotted 1190-3; both of which located over in Maine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to have one of them!

Plenty of use for it here.

Congrats.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I don't have a use for it and I'm really not into boats either, I just had to have it I guess.

Looks like we'll head up this weekend with the m756a2 to get a few things done with the boat and truck, maybe load out the 6-71.
It's only about 25 miles away so not a long move for it all. Hopefully since we're right on Lake Champlain I can get someone who knows what they're doing to haul the boat without a lot of hassle.

gtodan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would love to see more details of your boat. Data plate? Engine, drive, steering. The Higgins' boats have a marvelous history about them. At the start of WWII we had very, very limited capacity for amphibious warfare. The Marine Corps realized before the war they would be fighting the japs. They knew amphib ops were the key to winning a war with Japan. The Higgins Boat Co. was instrumental in winning that war. A very interesting read.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gray Marine 6-71 diesel engine. Unchanged from WWII, except that may be a "N" 4 valve head.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Subscribed. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your new acquisitions!!! :)

If I could make one suggestion: Try to find a home for the boat before moving it, and move it once. A second relocation is guaranteed to cost you a lot more time and money.

Jericho

Don't need a boat, but could buy the red trailer! Boats cost more to own than buy, they just seem to nickel and dime you to death .Would make money in Alaska with it!

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Subscribed. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your new acquisitions!!! :)

If I could make one suggestion: Try to find a home for the boat before moving it, and move it once. A second relocation is guaranteed to cost you a lot more time and money.
The plan is to get it moved to the yard, where it will stay until either I do something with it or someone buys it. It will probably cost me enough the first time!
Don't need a boat, but could buy the red trailer! Boats cost more to own than buy, they just seem to nickel and dime you to death .Would make money in Alaska with it!
The step deck was a package deal with the LCVP. The bridge truck was added in afterwards, all 3 for a pretty good price in my opinion. The shipping will cost a little but it will still probably be a good deal.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Trying to lift the whole front of the boat at once didn't go so well, the pipe truck would lift the front tires off the ground with the boat not moving at all.
IMG_0681.jpg
So we got to work with some bottle jacks on the starboard side.
IMG_0682.jpgIMG_0683.jpg
Once it was up a bit the pipeline truck would pick up one corner at a time.
IMG_0680.jpgIMG_0692.jpgIMG_0693.jpg
As far as we got today:
IMG_0698.jpg
A few more shots of the engine which we took home today.
IMG_0689.jpgIMG_0687.jpgIMG_0688.jpgIMG_0699.jpgIMG_0700.jpg
We didn't do anything with the step deck or bridge truck, neither are a concern right now.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Well it's right next to Lake Champlain. Too bad it's not operational, it's sitting less than 1000ft from the water right now.
Though I don't know if it got here via the water or roadway.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thinks I see armor plate on that one. Gonna be a lot heavier than the wood one I pulled around. I think you figured that out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks