• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1969 LCVP (Landing Craft, Vehicle, Personnel)

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
A few more shots of the bridge truck:
LWSK0268.jpgJWRC6031.jpgPMTL2420.jpgYKXN4256.jpg

So far there has been zero progress with the boat move. Both the big boat movers in VT have said they can't do it. I sent good pictures of it to both. The local hauler here in Colchester kept me waiting for 3 weeks on the fact he wanted to look at it in person. He never looked at it and now says it's too long and too heavy. Of course his website says he can move 18,000lbs and 40ft, and he had the dimensions this whole time. I hate people who BS and waste my time.:mad:

Looks like my next options are the two local towing places that have the equipment to handle it. I'll probably have to make a cradle or two to make it work on a flatbed.
At least I've got a good looking engine.:-| Hopefully I'll find someone who can move the boat in one piece. I've got until the end of September to get this done.
IMG_0832.jpgIMG_0833.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can get your RTFL over there and rent a second one, you can easily pick the LCVP up, one fork truck in the middle of the gunwale on both sides, with a inverted v bridle sling going to the front and rear lift points bow and stern. Lift it straight up and back a drop deck underneath. No cradle required, just a little bit of cribbing. The keel on these things is super strong.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Yeah all the pics of them on trailers on the web show them on a flatbed with very minimal cribbing. It really shouldn't be a difficult task, I just need to find someone willing to do it (and do it at a reasonable enough price). I think the slickest way to get it done would be to have a tow company bring a wrecker and a tractor/flatbed up, then use the wrecker to load the boat and tow the bridge truck down. Drop the bridge truck and unload the boat.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will be up that way towards the end of the month. Forklift with a stepdeck trailer rental. along with one winch and we could be in business to get it moved.I can always throw my dolly in the bed! Little redneck ingenuity can go a long way.

If I had won the powerball I would have been gone fishing myself.

Attachments

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
You know what B.O.A.T. means? Bust Out Another Thousand... LOL :goodjob: Congratulations
Boat stands for Bend Over And Take.:(
So far the rate for moving the boat and bridge truck is more than I paid for them both and the step deck trailer... and I could almost buy the boat again afterwards.
Hopefully it's worth something!

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My advice, take it or leave it. Start calling museums. Find out if anyone wants the boat. If you get a bite, you can donate the boat with the agreement that they will remove it from its current location by the end of September. Use the donation as a tax write-off for you personally or for your business (if you run your own company). Keep the engine.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
My advice, take it or leave it. Start calling museums. Find out if anyone wants the boat. If you get a bite, you can donate the boat with the agreement that they will remove it from its current location by the end of September. Use the donation as a tax write-off for you personally or for your business (if you run your own company). Keep the engine.
That's something I've thought about. I certainly won't let the boat get cut up, it looks too good to trash. The trucking was reasonable enough, the rate for a wrecker to load it and tow the bridge truck was the deal killer. I'm hoping to hear back tonight from the other tow company that has the equipment to move both, hopefully they're more reasonable. If they can't do it we'll look at having a trucking company move the boat, there's a crane service not far away that is much cheaper than a wrecker for loading.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know any local Steel Soldiers brethren that has the equipment and the willingness help you move the bridge truck?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Do you know any local Steel Soldiers brethren that has the equipment and the willingness help you move the bridge truck?
Nothing that would be ideal, the big trucks are few and far between around here. I think the only somewhat local member that actually drives a truck that would handle it doesn't have a long enough trailer. The trucking isn't too bad, the tow company that said they could do it would be using a 75 ton rotator and that's what hurts. It comes out to $150 a mile to move the pair if we can get it done in 6 hours.
I wish there was a local boat place with a hydraulic trailer that could handle it, going rate is $10 a mile.:) Or $10 per foot of boat.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The red trailer would carry it if it was in better shape. All the tires are old and cracked and I know nothing else about it so I don't want to tow it home with any weight on it. I guess the owner had the red stepdeck for the purpose of putting the boat on it, he had another one that's modified to haul his other landing craft.
Looks like some other options are well within my budget for getting this done, I'll keep this thread updated with the progress.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Looks like the trucking company I've had move the last few deuces is willing to give this a shot. Sounds like it's happening on the 5th, we'll have a crane service load and then unload the boat then we'll make another trip up to get the bridge truck.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Well... it's done.:) ADM Hauling did the trucking and Guerrina Crane did a great job lifting the boat, both were very reasonably priced too. Much cheaper than having a wrecker company move it all.
IMG_0992.jpgIMG_0995.jpgIMG_0968.jpgIMG_0997.jpgIMG_1005.jpgIMG_1004.jpgIMG_0970.jpgIMG_0976.jpgIMG_0979.jpg
We used the pipe truck to winch the bridge truck on to the trailer, it's much easier to move wheeled vehicles (at least on land).
IMG_0998.jpgIMG_0999.jpgIMG_1001.jpgIMG_0982.jpgIMG_0984.jpg
The only issue was the alternator belts failed on the pipe truck on the way home, but that was a pretty easy fix on the side of the road.
IMG_0985.jpgIMG_1002.jpgIMG_0990.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
A few pics of the interior of the boat:
IMG_1006.jpgIMG_1007.jpgIMG_1008.jpg
After going over the basics we've got the bridge truck running and driving in the yard. The throttle sticks a bit but it didn't take much to get it going after sitting for at least 5 years. The tank was drained so we're running it off a 5 gallon can on the running board.
IMG_1009.jpgIMG_1012.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks