• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1969 LCVP (Landing Craft, Vehicle, Personnel)

Another Ahab

Wow. Poor thing has seen no love in a very long time. Any idea on hull number? You may recall that the New Orleans D-Day museum built one of those from scratch, and it took years.
Old Man Higgins (of the Higgins Boat) was a by-god bayou boater, originally from New Orleans if I'm not mistaken.

That might be a part of the story of why the museum went to the trouble to restore one. You might want to give them a call at the museum about the parts. Who knows but that they might be interested, you know?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Old Man Higgins (of the Higgins Boat) was a by-god bayou boater, originally from New Orleans if I'm not mistaken.

That might be a part of the story of why the museum went to the trouble to restore one. You might want to give them a call at the museum about the parts. Who knows but that they might be interested, you know?
I think that was one reason they made one. I'm sure years back they would have been all over a parts boat to rebuild, I'd be surprised if they'd want anything now that their boat is on display.

Even though it's in "terrible" shape it was really neat to see, especially since it wasn't modified in any major way. It'd be great if someone did something with it.

Another Ahab

I think that was one reason they made one. I'm sure years back they would have been all over a parts boat to rebuild, I'd be surprised if they'd want anything now that their boat is on display.

Even though it's in "terrible" shape it was really neat to see, especially since it wasn't modified in any major way. It'd be great if someone did something with it.
Absolutely, that would be very cool.

Like i'm sure you could squeeze a WHOLE lot of lobster pots on that sucker if someone local were to restore it. :naner::beer:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
While back up at the former home of the boat I mentioned some of the parts that were missing to the owner's son, including the original horn. He said he saw a horn somewhere and there it was right on a shelf, so I'm pretty happy about that. Probably not the easiest piece to find, it's 24v too.
IMG_1554.jpgIMG_1555.jpg
I also spotted an mx-6707 antenna base with some grey paint on it, as well as a radio mounting tray for an rt-524.
Not sure where the antenna was on the boat but there are a couple spots where the mounting holes are close.
IMG_1556.jpg
Antenna base on a VP while in service:
DM-SC-91-09360.jpg
I've got a winch that I think is the same style as the original sitting in Eastern, CT. Hoping to find someone here that could pick it up. If it works with the drum I've got on the boat then I'd have a working winch for the ramp.
winch.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I still need the winch pictured above picked up but I just got another one of the same size, it's a 2 ton Beebe Bros winch. Luckily the 2 section drum is still on the boat as that seems hard to find (but easy to make), most I've seen are just setup for one cable. On the LCVP the Starboard side of the ramp cable is wound from the bottom of the drum while the port side is wound over the top, traveling though a couple sheaves around the stern to get there. This way they both work in unison through one winch. Once we clean up the yellow winch and swap the drum with the one on the boat we'll have the correct setup. Also pictured is the 5 ton version, not used on the boat but I had to have it.

IMG_1601.jpgIMG_1602.jpgIMG_1621.jpgIMG_1622.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The winch works like it should. There is only 1 ramp cable still together and it's all rotten so we didn't lift the ramp very high as I'm sure it'd still hurt a bit when the cable breaks and hits ya.
IMG_1706.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Since I bought the LCVP I've been trying to find out how it ended up in VT. The previous owner had passed away about 2 years ago and his son didn't know where it came from, it just showed up in their yard in the mid to late 1990s.
The yard that I work out of has been a military surplus yard for 30+ years, my friend that ran it passed away in 2015. It's not unusual to find old receipts, notes about parts needed for customers, etc. around the barn among all the other junk. Today my father found this note that fell behind a wall mounted file organizer.
IMG_1977.jpg
The number is for a state park on the lake which is accessible only by boat. In addition to a ferry for passengers the state has a 56ft LCM landing craft they use there as well. Years ago they had another large surplus boat too. There's a decent chance the LCVP listed on the note could be mine as this island is only 4 miles away from the yard where my boat was. The rest of the paperwork in the file is from the mid 90s as well so it's possible.

Also a funny coincidence, the gentleman who first told me of the boats last year used to own the red flatbed trailer that I got with the LCVP. I'm sure the reason that trailer has military lights is because he used to be a part owner of my friend's military surplus business back in the day. He says he knew at one point where the LCVP came from, but can't remember now.;-)

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW now THAT looks like a project! Extremely interesting and would love to score something like that! OMG am I glad you bought it before i saw it, THAT is very cool but truly the very last thing I need!!!!
Good luck!
Karl

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jericho I think I can see it ALL now, the boat is parked in my driveway and hold on, whats that? OH HECK thats ME I seem to be sleeping in the boat, AND its still winter in ND!!!! Jericho I have a pretty awesome wife, she just let me buy a HEMTT, oh wait she doesn't know about that one yet, but it will be OK, now this boat on the other hand I DO feel this would be a problem my friend!!
Karl (still married)

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Yeah the boat kind of stands out in a yard of green vehicles, the fact that it's beached in one spot doesn't help either. Still, I couldn't pass it up for the price. Since I sold the bridge truck I'm basically in the boat and step deck for the cost of moving them. Maybe one day I'll have the cash to fix them up.

Jericho

Does your wife do supportive calls for other truck buyers. ( my wife could use some enlightenment about the plus of trucks ) I’ve seen the boat a few times along with the rest of thier collection. It’s a nice item ( Iam not into boats. ) but it has enough room to construct bunks kitchen ect. Would beat a tiny house lol . Transport to
your local would be off the scale. I’ll stick to my canoe It is impressive !!!

Jericho

Kari. Do you mind if I tell people I Know a guy with a hemiit. Would love one but think that’s as close as I’ll get , a great “ Iam amazed “ to your wife for her gracious tolerance Mine on the other hand wouldn’t take it that good. Although if I sold all mine she wouldnt care if I bought one as long as it was the only one in the yard !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks