• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1971 Deuce with correct paint completed

Wild Horse Hans

Awesome job on that duece! Mine is a 68 and I plan on going back to that color as well. Got all new canvas for it, now just need to get the body in shape for the paint.
For those that asked the paint should be 24087 and was used from the mid 50s to the mid 70s.
I doubt mine will come out near as good as yours though. Super job!!!!!!

vtdeucedriver

Now theres a great reason to go 'Purist' with the Deuce , how much better is it than this......!!! How much longer did this color get used in Vietnam? and please....give us some #'s on the paint, and what and where's What brand, and where did you locate it, and how much did it take in galons? This is a work of passion here to be sure, and you were richly rewarded for your efforts as can be seen.
WOW...............Maybe now more SS members will know that there is more then just playing in the mud with a deuce.

Was still being painted until the late 70's.

Color number is 24087

I use Gillespie paint, RAPCO or ARMY JEEP PARTS are dealers in it..........$25.00 a gal. You will use a couple to do a deuce.

I have been rewarded by doing this since 1995.................glad to see that there are more "SEEING THE LIGHT"

Attachments

Green_gator

That is a great looking deuce. I plan on taking my 71 M35 back to a Viet Nam look one the shop van is done and have a question on the lights. Are the new style composite lights old enough to go that far back or will I need to swap out the turn signals for the older style?

Gastrap

Looks great !! What a transformation from a parts truck:!: Mine will be close to that color (maybe 34087? ) some day, but certainly not that nice. I don't plan on attempting to strip my 2 layers of CARC & all the texturing off the bumber & fenders.

I'll be watching for you in Iowa. If you continue past Cedar Rapids on the 22nd I'll be sitting next to my truck in Tama. The old Lincoln Highway route goes right in front of my work, should have the whole crew out watching:-D

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Great job! My Deuce also has some Ft. Mc Coy history (maybe brothers?;-)) Your wonderful work should inspire alot of Guys to attempt to do the same. I have dreamed for some time now about treating the 'Ol Girl to OD paint and white stars. Again, Very Nice!

GoHot229

WOW...............Maybe now more SS members will know that there is more then just playing in the mud with a deuce.

Was still being painted until the late 70's.

Color number is 24087

I use Gillespie paint, RAPCO or ARMY JEEP PARTS are dealers in it..........$25.00 a gal. You will use a couple to do a deuce.

I have been rewarded by doing this since 1995.................glad to see that there are more "SEEING THE LIGHT"
Sheeeessh, thats give-away prices for the paint, good deal! Theres plenty of us content with stock I'm sure, I think some of the Bob's are cool enough, but it don't do much for me, it's just a novelty really, a Mucho-macho thing. It's about just having a Deuce, theres alot of guys dreuling out there that would like to have ANY kind of Deuce and start from there.

ctmustang

Great work I'm glad it turned out that nice for you. After all the hard work and then after its all over and stand back and look at what you have accomplished-what a feeling. Enjoy it!
CT:twisted:

vtdeucedriver

That is a great looking deuce. I plan on taking my 71 M35 back to a Viet Nam look one the shop van is done and have a question on the lights. Are the new style composite lights old enough to go that far back or will I need to swap out the turn signals for the older style?
Yes they are. I have pics of composit lights on trucks in RVN.

CatMan

71 Deuce Paint

Thanks for all the nice comments! It makes all the work worth doing.

A couple of notes - since everyone asked.

Paint is Gillespie # 24087 Semi Gloss OD. Used 2 and 1/2 gallons to cover everything including troop seats and bows (they were really dry and took alot of paint)

I've had best results with that paint over the years. Good price value relationship. Best if you can pick it up at one of the shows from RAPCO or Army Jeep Parts and save the Hazmat fee and UPS.

I thin it with a Medium Enamal Reducer (NAPA) at 1 part reducer to 4 parts paint. Measured!

Decals are from Rick Larson. Well worth the money. I waited 2 weeks for paint cure before installing the decals. I did them "dry" which is fine. Doing the large stars should be done with the wet method in order to get the air bubbles out. Will do the large ones wet on the next progect.

If you have ever tried to sand blast that many layers of GI paint, that has been baked on for 30 years, you know it is darn near impossible. I gave up sand blasting. And carefully used a 4 inch angle grinder with a sanding disk on the large flat surfaces like the hood, fenders, doors and bumbers takinging it down to the red primer layer. Then sand blasted that to a smooth surface finish. There are a few places that were just sanded with a palm sander and overpainted. If you get within 18 inches you will see a few old brush marks from Uncle Sam.

I really should have removed the cargo bed and blasted the whole thing, including the underside but I was racing to get ready for the MVPA Convoy. Winter road salt had done a number on the fenders and underside of the cargo bed. Replaced the right front fender with an NOS one.

This unit had M35A1 trucks issued new at Fort Knox before they shipped them to Vietnam in 1968. They were turned over to the Viets at the end of the tour in 69. Since this truck is a 1971 the 1968 unit markings from the units Vietnam tour would not be correct. Thats why the 5th Army state side designation went on. Our M151 has the 1968 Vietnam tour unit markings applied.

Thanks again. Watch for us on the MVPA TMC09 convoy. :-D

Cat Man

dentman

amazing effort thanks for sharing this. I would like to ask vtdeucedriver more about the gun truck in pic #4. The turret looks like its hanging over the cab. any intel much appreciated.

vtdeucedriver

amazing effort thanks for sharing this. I would like to ask vtdeucedriver more about the gun truck in pic #4. The turret looks like its hanging over the cab. any intel much appreciated.

Which pic????? I did not post any of a gun truck. I will answer any questions.