• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1971 Deuce with correct paint completed

KaiserM109

CatMan,
Thanks for posting the pics. I drove an M109 (among other types) in Vietnam and have been planning to take my truck, a ’66, back to that style. I appreciate the paint info you posted.
Now theres a great reason to go 'Purist' with the Deuce , how much better is it than this......!!! How much longer did this color get used in Vietnam? …
GoHot,
In Aug. ’68 we got orders to paint our bumper numbers black and remove the stars and the “US ARMY” from the hood. Our M113 tracks had to paint specific 3 color patterns on their sides and ends. I don’t know how widely those orders were given; I was in the 9th Infantry Div.
That is a great looking deuce. I plan on taking my 71 M35 back to a Viet Nam look one the shop van is done and have a question on the lights. Are the new style composite lights old enough to go that far back or will I need to swap out the turn signals for the older style?
Green_gator,
My truck is a ’66 that was originally owned by the Arkansas Nat. Guard and had the tiny lights. All of our equipment that shipped over in ’67 and had the tiny lights. On my current truck I have changed them out for the large ones; I’m going to keep them, even though they are not quite period. A friend has a ’67 that came from GL with big lights, but they may have been converted.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm planning on doing my deuce very similar to Catman's, although I plan on putting bedliner in the back and floor of the cab. I'm thinking of redoing all the wood with just a light stain and polyurethane to be different. Slowly getting done piece by piece.

operator1

Looks great!!...the way it should. I have a few M35's from GL the paint is marginal on all but one, (puttin 395's on that one) I want to re-paint the others.....what do you all suggest, take it down to bear metal and use a modern clear coat (stayin authentic is not a concern) or sand and prime real good? I want a semi-gloss battleship gray, domistic paint or mil-spec?

plym49

Really nice and I am now sold on the 24087. These are the Deuces I remember so this is what mine will eventually look like.

CatMan, did you shoot primer and if so, which one?

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 1/2 ton paint

Looks great!!...the way it should. I have a few M35's from GL the paint is marginal on all but one, (puttin 395's on that one) I want to re-paint the others.....what do you all suggest, take it down to bear metal and use a modern clear coat (stayin authentic is not a concern) or sand and prime real good? I want a semi-gloss battleship gray, domistic paint or mil-spec?
Sand and prime, depending on the condition of the metal and old paint. Commercial paint will give you a lot more flexibility in your choice of color. To strip one of these beasts would not be something I would even consider. Do a search on this site for members experiences with brands. I remember one very recently