• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

Ok this morning is game time. I started out early had my DD coffee and a trip to the hardware store for a few odd Kubota bolts. I went down and spent about an hour cleaning my basement work bench. Only toll I needed from my shop was a steering wheel puller. When I was looking for a horn button I came across lots of new GM parts. Always happy to find stash you forgot about. Must have never needed them but bought them from the local dealer a little at a time. I thought I would be CUCVing forever. I guess over 20 years is a fair run. DSCF6840.JPGFirst thing is to remove the 4 bolts holding the mounting bracket to the column. Done. DSCF6843.JPGDSCF6844.JPGFollowing the GM manual I clamped the column in the vise using the weld nuts that the support bracket was attached to. DSCF6845.JPGNow to remove the steering wheel. DSCF6846.JPGDSCF6847.JPGDone. Lots of mud and crud in there. I used the small brush and broke all the clumps free. I see a strange piece. It looked like broken plastic and my heart sank. DSCF6848.JPGIt is a Shark tooth, Never knew they used Sharks teeth. maybe that is the HD part. I am going down and tear into again. I will report back. meanwhile if any Sharks are missing a tooth I have it here in Jonestown.

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok this morning is game time. I started out early had my DD coffee and a trip to the hardware store for a few odd Kubota bolts. I went down and spent about an hour cleaning my basement work bench. Only toll I needed from my shop was a steering wheel puller. When I was looking for a horn button I came across lots of new GM parts. Always happy to find stash you forgot about. Must have never needed them but bought them from the local dealer a little at a time. I thought I would be CUCVing forever. I guess over 20 years is a fair run. View attachment 787701First thing is to remove the 4 bolts holding the mounting bracket to the column. Done. View attachment 787704View attachment 787705Following the GM manual I clamped the column in the vise using the weld nuts that the support bracket was attached to. View attachment 787706Now to remove the steering wheel. View attachment 787707View attachment 787708Done. Lots of mud and crud in there. I used the small brush and broke all the clumps free. I see a strange piece. It looked like broken plastic and my heart sank. View attachment 787709It is a Shark tooth, Never knew they used Sharks teeth. maybe that is the HD part. I am going down and tear into again. I will report back. meanwhile if any Sharks are missing a tooth I have it here in Jonestown.
Oh please! Uncle Jabber Jaws has been looking for that for years!!

Please overnight, as over-bite hasn't been right!

cucvrus

I was very successful in getting the switch out. After looking at everything carefully I see why the column does NOT come apart in the truck. DSCF6851.JPGDSCF6852.JPGDSCF6853.JPGGear shift lever removed. see the mud inside on the inner lever. That was very easy. DSCF6854.JPGDSCF6854.JPGThis hidden flush piece of plastic cover will play you hard. I see why I could NOT get the turm signal wires up thru the column on several previous attempts. I used mechanics wire and taped the connection flat against the wire and hooked the end over the bottom edge of the connection. That was easy. DSCF6856.JPGDSCF6857.JPGI used a power driver to get the 4 - 5/16" screws from the housing. They were very tight as they are supposed to be. DSCF6858.JPGSame goes for the wiper switch. I taped the connection flat and pulled it up thru. DSCF6859.JPGThat is about as far as you will need to take the column down to service the wiper switch. Easier in the house and not attached to the truck.

Attachments

cucvrus

The switch is out. Now I want to test the switch on my current build. I have a problem. the wiper just keep running. Same problem I had before I done anything. I will keep trying. It is not the new motor I tried 3 other motors they all run with the switch off. Now I consulted the trouble shooting section in the GM manual. I will report back. I am glad this was my only task today. I don't like it but it is what I have at the moment. It's getting better all the time. More later. DSCF6860.JPGDSCF6861.JPGDSCF6862.JPGDSCF6863.JPGDSCF6865.JPGDSCF6866.JPG

Attachments

cucvrus

OK. Wiper switch all back in and wipers work as designed. The park switch wires had some chaffing and the switch was a bit corroded. All is back to normal. I did manage to break the lock clip from the new motor. Autozone is going to warrant it. I was thinking it was the resistors and then I consulted the GM manual and trouble shot the entire motor system. It was an opportunity to clean and lube up a few things. The column controls all work easier after cleaning and lubing. The column I disassembled is good for parts or another column. I know now why the other attempts failed. The column must be out of the truck to do it correctly or at least dropped all the way down. May as well remove it and work with it in front of you. Easier. That plastic wire cover is the root of my previous problems and I followed the instructions. Thank you for looking. I feel much better now that I succeeded. I think I will reassemble the old parts column just for practice. Be Safe.

Attachments

cucvrus

I ended the day on a positive note. I could have easily thrown all the column parts in a tote and called it a day. I scrubbed the steering wheel and reassembled the column. I wire tied the hi/lo beam actuator rod to the column. I returned the column to my second floor storage area and called it a day. I even made the Mrs. happy and installed the antique glass insulators on the barn that have been lost and moved around the past 20 years. And I thought it couldn't be done. Out of the truck is the correct way to do the job. Till next time. Take Care and Be Safe. I keep finding more and more parts and reminiscing about them.DSCF6872.JPGDSCF6873.JPG

Sezzo

I ended the day on a positive note. I could have easily thrown all the column parts in a tote and called it a day. I scrubbed the steering wheel and reassembled the column. I wire tied the hi/lo beam actuator rod to the column. I returned the column to my second floor storage area and called it a day. I even made the Mrs. happy and installed the antique glass insulators on the barn that have been lost and moved around the past 20 years. And I thought it couldn't be done. Out of the truck is the correct way to do the job. Till next time. Take Care and Be Safe. I keep finding more and more parts and reminiscing about them.View attachment 787774View attachment 787775
Great job - as always. We knew you will succeed. Take care.

cucvrus

After work today I wanted to get the washer hoses on and get the washer hose hold downs in place. DSCF6875.JPGDSCF6876.JPGIgnore the air cleaner housing. I must do some work to that. It is the original housing and was out in the wreckage for the 10 year wait. DSCF4109.JPGDSCF4125.JPGOne piece at a time gets the job done. I take my time and do it right or I would be done long ago. Much thought and planning goes into my builds these days. No need to rush. Thanks for looking. Be Safe and Enjoy Life.

Attachments

82KBody

View attachment 761808View attachment 761807With the right and left valve cover gaskets changed it was time to change the oil cooler lines. View attachment 761809I had a great advantage with the left inner fender and wheel removed. I removed the bracket and all on the cooler lines. I called NAPA and told them t deliver me a pair of oil cooler lines. These lines I will give an A + View attachment 761810View attachment 761811I removed them as a pair and bolted the bracket to the lines loosely and installed them all finger tight. Once everything was started I tightened them all up. About 45 minutes and done. View attachment 761813View attachment 761814View attachment 761812Checking out my progress for the day. A storm is eminent. The winds are picking up. Time to skedaddle. As I was cleaning up my packaging I cut the plastic off and found these part numbers also. DORMAN. Like I said A + on fit and ease of installation. Better than the AC Delco's I have been installing. All were made in China. View attachment 761815And then it came. View attachment 761816Day over. It was fun while it lasted. Next get the alternators back on.
Are the threads for the oil lines the same as the civilian model trucks? (3/8" i think) was hoping to stay with a genuine set... but. if they fit yours maybe they'll work with my k10.

Reactions: rtk

cucvrus

My attempt to assist 82Kbody has been met with unknown violations on my part. For that I am sorry. It was an attempt to assist with a common oil cooler issue. In the future I will just post the same pictures w/o reference to my other post. I will rewrite the information as best I can to assist. 82Kbody you going to have a hard time finding OEM oil cooler lines since GM discontinued them 20 years ago. Maybe a set of non-leaking OEM oil cooler lines could be had. Or fabricate a new set with all USA made hose and clamps/crimps. But really in the long run. I buy new A C Delco's from the GM dealer and they are Made in China. May I add the do notate (Mainland China) if that helps. I found the fit is a challenge at times but most times no problems that could not be resolved with minor tweaking. Good Luck. Report back. I hope I resolved my violation neighborly. Good Luck. Be safe and keep up the Good Work. I am assuming you are doing good work in good faith.

82KBody

My attempt to assist 82Kbody has been met with unknown violations on my part. For that I am sorry. It was an attempt to assist with a common oil cooler issue. In the future I will just post the same pictures w/o reference to my other post. I will rewrite the information as best I can to assist. 82Kbody you going to have a hard time finding OEM oil cooler lines since GM discontinued them 20 years ago. Maybe a set of non-leaking OEM oil cooler lines could be had. Or fabricate a new set with all USA made hose and clamps/crimps. But really in the long run. I buy new A C Delco's from the GM dealer and they are Made in China. May I add the do notate (Mainland China) if that helps. I found the fit is a challenge at times but most times no problems that could not be resolved with minor tweaking. Good Luck. Report back. I hope I resolved my violation neighborly. Good Luck. Be safe and keep up the Good Work. I am assuming you are doing good work in good faith.
Thank you Cucvrus. Yes, I have another set from a Complete Motor that's in an Untouched 79k orig miles truck Which I may end up having to Rob from. Unfortunately. I may end up giving the Aftermarket ones a Try, However, are the Dorman's from your Previous posted photo's any good? Otherwise at Best Rock Auto's Selection? If you have taken a look.

Looking forward to hearing back, Thanks.

cucvrus

Like I mentioned. They are all about the same at this time. Someone told me NAPA had better ones. I bought the NAPA ones and they were just Dorman's with the NAPA sticker over top. Same as A C Delco. they all fit and work. Short of getting others made up I would set sail with the available imports. There is always the hose and hose clamp option. Do as you wish. Good Luck. Be Safe.

cucvrus

After looking at the CUCV forum for the last few days I feel compelled to go out and do something to raise the morale here. Even if I clean the non existing windshield spotless I will get something done. I do have wheels and tires to install back on the truck and with the pouring rain that may be the route I take. I have been outside working on the Blues Mobile. Completed that yesterday and managed to get a few hours cleaning and sorting out parts in the lower barn area. Man you can stash a lot of stuff in a nice dry barn. And may I add forget a lot of stuff you have stashed. I was able to use one of the spotlights I had removed from a Ford CVPI that I salvaged back 20 years ago. The A pillar type. Amazing installed it plugged it in and it shone brightly . Installed carpeting from a 1 size fits all kit. Not the case but it fits now. Have knife can cut. Everything is complete and the owner will pick that up today. I will try to revive the thread and stir up some excitement on this dark dreary day while Mother is away. May Thing 1 and Thing 2 can stop by for some excitement. Then again maybe not. I will see what I can do and report back. Have a Great Day and Be Safe and Productive. Or NOT.

cucvrus

The day started out well and continued to improve. The rain was heavy a few times during the day but I was working in the barn. I did manage to get the wheels and tires back on my M1009 project. Also I had the front battery dead from letting the B/O lamps on again for a week or more. Jump pack and started it and backed it up 10 feet. I figured that was enough on that project for now. I still need to purchase some seals and glass for this project. I will post more as it happens. Thank you for looking and I hope the weather holds out. Be Safe and Have a Great Weekend. DSCF6889.JPGDSCF6890.JPGDSCF6891.JPGThey are just my transport wheels and tires while it is under construction. I must purchase 5 new tires when funding allows.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks