• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

dougco1

And then just like that the barn was empty. View attachment 803637View attachment 803638I made my rounds today in the M1009. I went to the Chevrolet dealership and visited a few of my friends. I have a few more weeks and I will be filling the garage with another project. I dropped the M1009 off at the alignment shop. Driving a CUCV again after driving my new truck is like a differnce between night and day. "Built in a Barn" is my new trademark. View attachment 803639
Rick, another great ride but It looks like your barber shop still isn't open.

Sezzo

And then just like that the barn was empty. View attachment 803637View attachment 803638I made my rounds today in the M1009. I went to the Chevrolet dealership and visited a few of my friends. I have a few more weeks and I will be filling the garage with another project. I dropped the M1009 off at the alignment shop. Driving a CUCV again after driving my new truck is like a differnce between night and day. "Built in a Barn" is my new trademark. View attachment 803639
Thank you for this great picture, Rick. Showing three strong fighters and a perfectly fitting german Bundeswehr Regenjacke :)

cucvrus

I picked up the M1009 at the alignment shop last night. I had it Pennsylvania Safety Inspected and 4 wheel alignment for safety reasons and drivability. My Wife drove it and when we stopped for diesel fuel she said you can drive it. She is not used to driving older vehicles. That steering is different in them old trucks from a newer truck and a Ford Fusion. I thought it drove fine and I rolled along at 65-70 no problem. I dropped it off at the transmission shop to get the shift points checked and perfected. I do not like guess work when it comes to fine tuning. It shifted fine with the old injection pump till the pump quit. Then I installed it back on in the same spot and it hangs in 2nd till 45 MPH. Going thru town it is annoying. I liked everything about my build except the worst thing is the mufflers are loud. It sounds great and never would you guess it is a 6.2 when it is approaching. But the exhaust was brand new right before it was wrecked in 2007 so it can stay and last for years to come. Another thing I really like is the dated injection pump. Many times buyers were told they were just replaced the injection pump. I changed many that were just replaced. Some were 15 years old. I have confidence in Diesel Care in Memphis. I like things stock so I just install the pump line to line and get the timing checked and adjusted if needed. This time around it runs great and it all worked out after changing the pump and moving the timing as instructed. May I add that dropping the tank and changing the fuel sock is also helpful. Well I am winding down on this build. My M1009 was covered in saw dust from the barn work but it is sitting outside over night for the first time since November 2017. Oh the memories. I must get outside and back on the scaffolding. I hope to get a call that the M1009 is ready for pick up and get it ready for delivery. Thank you for all the support along this long journey. It was NOT always easy and I hope I helped someone along the way.

cucvrus

Going forward I am going to have documentation of all work performed outside of my shop on the vehicles I am rebuilding. I was given the alignment paper and it shows vehicle complete VIN, mileage and date alignment was performed. DSCF7465.JPGIt also documents before and after alignment measurements. No documentation or date stamp and I will assume it never happened. Pictures in the thread a proof positive to all the new parts that were installed. "Built in a Barn" is the new standard. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

All weekend it was a busy time. I picked up the M1009 from the transmission shop. The shifting issue was the vacuum hose was sucking itself shut. It was new hose. Not sure why. But they replaced the hose and said maybe it was washer hose and that is not as strong and ridged. Possible. I bought it in a roll years ago and it was the right size. I learned something new. Again. I want to drive the M1009 and make sure everything works as designed. No complaints so far except no A/C and not even a place to set your coffee. I put about 75 miles on it since taking it out of the garage. DSCF7470.JPGDSCF7471.JPGDSCF7472.JPG It has a nice hum at about 65-70. I went up 81 and 2 exits down 78 and everything is great. I was working at the farm yesterday afternoon and it was HOT. I parked in the shade and the picture beside the silo in the shade looked great. DSCF7473.JPG
Take care and Be Safe. It's a Mad Mad world we live in. I was at Home Depot yesterday. It was like end of days there. The masks got to go.

Last edited:

cucvrus

After winding another 100 miles in road testing all is well. 1 exception is the volt meter has a mind of it's own. It worked fine till last night I stopped and went in a store. Came out and started the truck and no voltmeter. The 10 amp fuse is good because if that is blown the Gen 2 light will not work with key on. I tapped the gauge and nothing. it drives and charges just fine. This is 100% stock wiring. No bypass, no cascading glow plugs or starter relay mods. I will remove the bezel and replace the gauge if the need arises. Anybody have any other clues as to what could just out of the blue cause the gauge to be inoperative? 36 years and setting for 10 years could be the issue. Take Care, Be Safe and have a Great Day. No Worries in this camp. It's a Simple Task.

Sezzo

After winding another 100 miles in road testing all is well. 1 exception is the volt meter has a mind of it's own. It worked fine till last night I stopped and went in a store. Came out and started the truck and no voltmeter. The 10 amp fuse is good because if that is blown the Gen 2 light will not work with key on. I tapped the gauge and nothing. it drives and charges just fine. This is 100% stock wiring. No bypass, no cascading glow plugs or starter relay mods. I will remove the bezel and replace the gauge if the need arises. Anybody have any other clues as to what could just out of the blue cause the gauge to be inoperative? 36 years and setting for 10 years could be the issue. Take Care, Be Safe and have a Great Day. No Worries in this camp. It's a Simple Task.
Maybe a bad cable (cable break) or a loose contact? If it works time by time the mind of it‘s own could just be a loose connection.

cucvrus

Nice work as always Rick. Too bad you're retiring, if you where to ever do an M1008/28 I might've considered buying it from you.
Bring it. But NOT right now. I am NOT going to turn work away. just be selective of what I get involved in. Some projects I get questioned on are NOT worth the money or effort. Some people are hard headed and take it somewhere else and I am fine with that. Selective is what I like to call it. I am going to do some updates to the electrical service with the proceeds from my current sale. I would like to unplug the extension cord and be compliant with my farm insurance. Currently I must have it on a GFI and unplugged when not occupied. I look forward to the upgrade. That old knob and tube wiring is well past it's time to be changed. Painting the entire barn for a 100 year anniversary. I am told it was build in 1920-1921. Take Care.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring it. But NOT right now. I am NOT going to turn work away. just be selective of what I get involved in. Some projects I get questioned on are NOT worth the money or effort. Some people are hard headed and take it somewhere else and I am fine with that. Selective is what I like to call it. I am going to do some updates to the electrical service with the proceeds from my current sale. I would like to unplug the extension cord and be compliant with my farm insurance. Currently I must have it on a GFI and unplugged when not occupied. I look forward to the upgrade. That old knob and tube wiring is well past it's time to be changed. Painting the entire barn for a 100 year anniversary. I am told it was build in 1920-1921. Take Care.
Rick I don't believe there are many guys who understand what it takes to properly and correctly "rebuild" or "restore" one of these vehicles, and even fewer folk who have the financial means to fund such an undertaking. Of those who do understand and do have the financial means, an even smaller percentage would even consider expending the cash on an "old truck" as my neighbor's wife called it. I have another friend who wants very much to have a completely "re-done" CUCV, however his wife will not let him part with the dollars and has threatened him with divorce if he mentions it again. Subsequently, If you have a customer in-place on your current project, then I believe both of you should feel grateful.

I feel blessed to be in my current life position, with the financial means, desire, and cooperative wife, to rebuild my M1028. I've been on my project since 2010 and have purposefully quit keeping track of the costs because it really doesn't matter anymore. Heck, I have more invested in my engine/transmission/transfer case than most guys invest in a whole truck, or several trucks for that matter. And I realy don't care what it costs, I just want it the way I want it. I've watched your projects over the years and have admired your workmanship and dedication to "doing it right". Whoever gets your current project will have something they can treasure and enjoy for a lifetime.

Stay the course, my friend.

cucvrus

I am not sure what went wrong. I may be placing the M1009 up "For Sale" again. I may have been played. Am I correct in requesting proof of insurance and full name to get the transfer process started. I bought hundreds of vehicles and always presented that before hand. Be Safe. No Worries. I can drive it. I know it is a nice driving reliable vehicle. Someone will want it.

Last edited:

Sezzo

I am not sure what went wrong. I may be placing the M1009 up "For Sale" again. I may have been played. Am I correct in requesting proof of insurance and full name to get the transfer process started. I bought hundreds of vehicles and always presented that before hand. Be Safe. No Worries. I can drive it. I know it is a nice deriving reliable vehicle.
You are absolutely correct. Shame on those who played with you. This is NOT your fault. Enjoy driving with this nice, clean and perfect M1009.

dougco1

I am not sure what went wrong. I may be placing the M1009 up "For Sale" again. I may have been played. Am I correct in requesting proof of insurance and full name to get the transfer process started. I bought hundreds of vehicles and always presented that before hand. Be Safe. No Worries. I can drive it. I know it is a nice deriving reliable vehicle.
Don't get any ideas Rick. Though I would love to have your latest build, I recently retired and I am now on a fixed income.

cucvrus

OK. After I done extensive research and reviewed every text message I am ready to tell the world that I figured out that "Lost for Words" and "First in Line" are the same person. Not sure what joy a person gets from running a scam such as this. This guy was specific right down to what color he wanted the seat pedestals painted to the key being the stock CUCV key and everything being as original as possible. Same details I was doing anyway but I was going to paint the seat pedestals grey like factory. they are semi flat black now. A minor detail. But I want to warn everyone here. Beware the scammers are out there and I am not easily fooled. I have a shadow of doubt about many things and often proceed with caution. Now I have a very nice M1009. Do I have a lot of money invested? I said invested. Do I have lots of time invested? No. It was time I could have easily sat and watched TV or drank beer. So I am just thankful I can afford the money I invested and had the time and skill to do the job. At this point I will secure the vehicle out of the weather under cover and search for a buyer. I may as well pay the sellers fee here and advertise it. I have sold a few vehicles on Ebay and Facebook. So as a friend and fellow enthusiast I ask that you are cautious. I have reported the incident to administration and they can handle it from here. But in his text a few months ago " Lost for Words" said he wanted to be "First in Line" his wish came true. Take care Be safe and continue to improve on the hobby and enjoy your progress. Thank you. The jig is up definition is - —used to say that a dishonest plan or activity has been discovered and will not be allowed to continue

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK. After I done extensive research and reviewed every text message I am ready to tell the world that I figured out that "Lost for Words" and "First in Line" are the same person. Not sure what joy a person gets from running a scam such as this. This guy was specific right down to what color he wanted the seat pedestals painted to the key being the stock CUCV key and everything being as original as possible. Same details I was doing anyway but I was going to paint the seat pedestals grey like factory. they are semi flat black now. A minor detail. But I want to warn everyone here. Beware the scammers are out there and I am not easily fooled. I have a shadow of doubt about many things and often proceed with caution. Now I have a very nice M1009. Do I have a lot of money invested? I said invested. Do I have lots of time invested? No. It was time I could have easily sat and watched TV or drank beer. So I am just thankful I can afford the money I invested and had the time and skill to do the job. At this point I will secure the vehicle out of the weather under cover and search for a buyer. I may as well pay the sellers fee here and advertise it. I have sold a few vehicles on Ebay and Facebook. So as a friend and fellow enthusiast I ask that you are cautious. I have reported the incident to administration and they can handle it from here. But in his text a few months ago " Lost for Words" said he wanted to be "First in Line" his wish came true. Take care Be safe and continue to improve on the hobby and enjoy your progress. Thank you. The jig is up definition is - —used to say that a dishonest plan or activity has been discovered and will not be allowed to continue
Rick - glad you caught the scammer. I sensed something was strange when I saw him start posting on here. He may pop up again under a new stage name, so be watchful. You shouldn’t have any problems selling that M1009. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

cucvrus

I am going out to make a safe dry home in the barn for my M1009. Until I figure out my next move. It is still going on the market and I will be advertising it. Everyone here knows the history and the details. Thank you for your support. I will move on and all is well. I did learn a few things from this scam. Never again. Take care and Be Safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks