• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 M1028, 454 Gasser......?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I look at that truck as a tool to pull a 24' RV and have room for a snowmobile and a quad on the back and still have room for a ramp. They would have to both sit sideways. The camper is a standard frame hitch with a 2 5/8" ball with the anti sway bar. I like to go to Grand Marais and Municing in the UP in the winter. This way I can stay on the trail head without the standard no tell motel room.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All CUCV's were diesels, no question about it. But, a 454 powered one would be nice....

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drive train is original, which means a 4" lift, 37" tires and the gas mileage should be not so bad. What would be a good cruising RPM for a 454 gasser anyway...?

Cucvnut

Here is a pic of the plate. The rivets look to new. I am iffy if this ever was a true M-1028.....? OR a civi truck green from the factory. The drive train is proper but everything about this truck says custom/changed/hacked/redone. Some times thats good sometimes not.
My rivits look just like that on my door.

epartsman

My 2 cents, Ive seen it, looks pretty but I think you will find that the 454 with no OD trans and the 4:56 gear to be a fuel hog getting 8-10 mpg and top out on power very quickly. The interior is very nice but from a custom not a CUCV. The truck was put together and painted to hide the flaws. If you read the listing they have no clue how many miles are on the 454 and with it turning that hard it may not last long. I wish my 09 was as pretty but it is your choice and taste but as for me I would stay away.

big block 88

The drive train is original, which means a 4" lift, 37" tires and the gas mileage should be not so bad. What would be a good cruising RPM for a 454 gasser anyway...?

454 truck motors hate high rpm's my old 88 would get 8-9 mpg no matter what you could load it with 15k pounds and push it down a mountain and it would still get 8-9 mpg on the way down.

The worst I ever got was 1.3 gallons per mile pulling a CAT 426 with extending boom and rock buckets on a 40 foot tandem dual gooseneck.

big block 88

any big block does...

Not true... LS5, LS6, L88, L78 any 396 really all 427's

fords old side oiler 427 chrylsers old 440 and 426 wedge and hemi

none of the above cared much about high rpm's. It all depends on compression ratio and weight of internal parts.

Truck motor have a very heavy rotating assembly there for RPM's WILL kill the engine fast quick and in a hurry.

My 88 454 was bored 30 over larger injectors port and polished large port heads polished and bored throttle body alumn high rise intake and a good MSD ignition and roller tip rockers with a girddle. I would still end up floating a vlave around 5200-5500 rpm's. And I spun a main bearing more than once with high rpm's

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My point exactly. 454's hate high RPMS which means the 4:56 gears will put it in an early grave.
I have al local trans man that can work some highway gear magic, or I can get a 6.2 - 6.5 in a can and swap it back out, that would be a good weekend project, either way the trans man will have a look at highway gears. Thanks you all for your comments and help. Don

epartsman

Just be careful with the 6.2-6.5 in a can unless you are one of the lucky ones to find a new one. They were all removed for a reason unless you are ready to do a rebuild but using a diesel engine towing the load you mentioned is the way I would go either gearing down to 3:73 or going with the 700r4 conversion as well. Good luck!

ODdave

For what its worth my dad had a '77 dually with a 454 & 4speed that came factory with 4.56 gears. Yes it only liked abut 55-60 mph but that was also on a 31-32 in tire. I would think that with 37's you would be fine. As far as MPG? Ha your going to be hard pressed to get better than 10-11 mpg as thats what they get in stock form. We have had 5 3/4 & 1 ton trucks with 454's and they all got between 10-11 mpg, carb, TBI & MPFI. Keep in mind some had OD as well. Still the same mpg's.

jj

I've got a 95 3500HD with a 454. Has 4.63 gears in the Dana 80 and a n NV4500. That is a 0.73:1 overdrive. It rides on 225/70R-19.5 tires that turn around 650 revolutions per mile. That means 2200 rpm, or so, on the engine at 60mph. It weighs 8500 lbs empty, and i consider it a good day if i get 12mpg out of a tankful. I only see that running empty on the highway, if the wind is at my back. Loaded, I don't even do the math. Just too depressing. You really don't notice, though, when fully loaded at 15,000 lbs. Just chugs along. 4.56's without overdrive? Don't want to think about it.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, It looks like I have my work cut out for me. I will drive it to push snow this winter and get a good feel for her then do what I have to do in the spring which I think will go back to a 6.2 or 6.5 with turbo. I have a side winder still in the box I am itching to have installed in one of these green machines and I think this truck will be the one.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That tunnel ram will have NO power below 4000 rpm!

Rick
Limited intake options for an oval port,(peanut port) tall deck.
Single plane air gap design. Not a tunnel ram.
Dart engineer told me it would start to work well at 3000 rpm. Keeping in mind the rpms a M1008 with the 4.56 rears is turning at highway speeds around 65mph.
Motor has been bored and rebuilt.
Truck has been an everyday driver.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks