• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1993 m998

DocThrock

1993 M998 Indiana

10 weeks for my first EUC, 1 day to get it delivered by wheel lift wrecker (175 miles), 16 weeks for the SF97 with bold red stamp, almost 2 weeks for a Bill of Sale from IP, also with bold red stamp. Word has it that Indiana will accept a BOS. I waited until I had possession of the vehicle to buy the BOS. Next time I'll get it right off the bat!

M998 Left Side  View.jpg

Happy to report that although the vehicle is the dirtiest thing I've ever bought, it all seems to function rather better than I'd hoped. After a week, I was able to resurrect the Hawker HASP-FT batteries and they are holding 25.3 volts. Not sure how long they'll last, but at least it's a few hundred bucks I get to hold onto for a while.

M998 Front.jpg

The only thing so far that doesn't appear to work is what would appear to be a green blackout driving light. Turned out to be completely lacking a ground wire. Works fine.

M998 Right Side .jpg

There's about 1/2 inch of dirt under the rear seat pans and there was a lot of trash, loose nuts, bolts, screws, chains and a couple very rusted tools (including jack and tire irons) hidden in the dried mud. But it could have been worse, considering some kind of rope roof hold downs were cobbled onto the thing and the velcro between the cab and the bed covers evidently fell in months if not years ago. I manhandled it all back together as best I could, but I think a trip to a vehicle uphostery shop is in order for some refurbishment of the canvas. Hoping I don't have to buy new, my goal with this vehicle was for it to be a fun driver (like my M38 ), not a museum piece.

There are many unsightly holes on the sides and rear of both quarter panel corners. I'm new to this vehicle so I'm just guessing, but I think all those holes suggest it had offest antenna mounts on both rear corners?

M998 Rear View Serial Number 147164.jpg

Edit: The Indiana Historic Military Vehicle program, as set in Indiana Law for 2017, is poorly understood and even more poorly executed by the Indiana BMV. I’m currently corresponding with the Director of Registrations trying to get them to make sense out of the whole thing. A privately owned retired military vehicle can be titled and registered in Indiana if it is over 25 years old. "Theresa" at the BMV state office said a '93 is only 24 years old. So I'm going to wait until January to send in all the paperwork (if the SF97 ever shows up). Part of the (wrong) requirement is to paint identifying registration/serial numbers "in a military fashion" on the rear of the vehicle. So my buddy made me a nice stencil (he fabs lots of gubment stuff) and I painted my serial numbers across the "bumper". The picture above doesn't do it justice, those 6 numbers REALLY stand out in person. Conversely, the unit markings on the lower corners were demilled to the point to where they aren't hardly legible.

Other than dirt, surface rust and normal wear and tear, I think my M998 is in pretty good shape! Runs nice, goes into gear, hand parking brake works, vehicle rolls nicely, power steering is smooth and quiet, and even the heat and blower fans work! So far, so good!

Matt
1993 M998
1951 M38

Last edited:

orgnal

10 weeks for my first EUC, 1 day to get it delivered by wheel lift wrecker (175 miles), 15 weeks and still waiting on the SF97.

View attachment 709190

Happy to report that although the vehicle is the dirtiest thing I've ever bought, it all seems to function rather better than I'd hoped. After a week, I was able to resurrect the Hawker HASP-FT batteries and they are holding 25.3 volts. Not sure how long they'll last, but at least it's a few hundred bucks I get to hold onto for a while.

View attachment 709192

The only thing so far that doesn't appear to work is what would appear to be a green blackout driving light. Dunno if that only works when the engine is running, but with all the other blackouts turned on, I can't see any light. Or maybe it's just not in my viual spectrum.

View attachment 709193

There's about 1/2 inch of dirt under the rear seat pans and there was a lot of trash, loose nuts, bolts, screws, chains and a couple very rusted tools (including jack and tire irons) hidden in the dried mud. But it could have been worse, considering some kind of rope roof hold downs were cobbled onto the thing and the velcro between the cab and the bed evidently fell in months if not years ago. I manhandled it all back together as best I could, but I think a trip to a vehicle uphostery shop is in order for some refurbishment of the canvas. Hoping I don't have to buy new, my goal with this was for it to be a fun driver (like my M38), not a museum piece.

There are many unsightly holes on the sides and rear of both quarter panel corners. I'm new to this vehicle so I'm just guessing, but I think all those holes suggest it had offest antenna mounts on both rear corners?

View attachment 709198

A privately owned retired military vehicle can be titled and registered (and driven on the road) in Indiana if it is over 25 years old. "Theresa" at the BMV state office said a '93 is only 24 years old. So I'm going to wait until January to send in all the paperwork (if the SF97 ever shows up). Part of the requirement is to paint identifying registration/serial numbers "in a military fashion" on the rear of the vehicle. So my buddy made me a nice stencil (he fabs lots of gubment stuff) and I painted my serial numbers across the "bumper". The picture above doesn't do it justice, those 6 numbers REALLY stand out in person. Conversely, the unit markings on the lower corners were demilled to the point to where they aren't hardly legible.

Other than dirt, surface rust and normal wear and tear, I think my M998 is in pretty good shape! Runs nice, goes into gear, hand parking brake works, vehicle rolls nicely, power steering is smooth and quiet, and even the heat and blower fans work! So far, so good!

Matt
1993 M998
1951 M38
Congratulations ! And welcome!

McReddy

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrads and welcome to the addiction!

Truck looks great! The holes are for the offset antenna mounts though you have an extra 2 on the back rear, I am not sure for what?

Blackout light could just be the bulb. If your light is toast, I do have a tan led version in the classifieds.

DocThrock

I never even realized the hood was full green, not camo. I was able to clean up and show some original unit numbers on the hood. So I think I'll go with it as is. I did strip and paint the top grill and lift eyes because they were so pitiful peeling. That's about as far as I'm going, except maybe with the wheels. Eventually.

NormB

Nice truck. When I picked mine up from Decodeme2 (RIP), I thought it was a pretty clean truck. We went back to the house to do some paperwork and I watched his son powerwashing the heck out of marine HMMWV. I think there was more mud/sand/debris than truck. When I asked him if mine started out like that he kind of shrugged, said they’ve all like that. Sad.

Before I dropped my transfer case I got under the thing with a powerwasher 90 degree wand and got even more stuff out. I think my gas mileage went up 20%.

Have fun.

DocThrock

SF97 came 4 months to the date of purchase, 6 weeks following the EUC. Still prominently stamped “Off Road Use Only” in red ink at the top.

American Collectors provided me with insurance. Haggarty had better coverage for twice the price. I added the M998 to my M38 policy and the rate went up about $170 for the year.

Time to get the inspection done and get ready to apply for an Indiana military vehicle title. Theoretically my ‘93 is 25 years old next month.

Last edited:

Beis

Hey Doc - I am in Indiana too and waiting for my SF-97. My plan is the same as yours with the Military vehicle title. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocThrock

Beis, welcome to the group! My family has roots in Romney, my Grandfather played basketball for Purdue in 1915!

Interestingly both the SF97 and the notarized assignment from Iron Planet denote an actual VIN. That number is of course the vehicle production serial number (not factory registration number), but it is only 6 digits. Wondering whether or not Indiana recognizes a 6 digit VIN. I have the “special ID” paperwork ready just in case.

Time to head to the police station and schedule an inspection.

Hey Doc - I am in Indiana too and waiting for my SF-97. My plan is the same as yours with the Military vehicle title. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Wire Fox

Beis, welcome to the group! My family has roots in Romney, my Grandfather played basketball for Purdue in 1915!

Interestingly both the SF97 and the notarized assignment from Iron Planet denote an actual VIN. That number is of course the vehicle production serial number (not factory registration number), but it is only 6 digits. Wondering whether or not Indiana recognizes a 6 digit VIN. I have the “special ID” paperwork ready just in case.

Time to head to the police station and schedule an inspection.
They do recognize the 6 digit serial, but will probably ask questions. Be ready to explain the serial number and show them to the data plate and the vehicle invoice or SF-97 to ease their concerns.

Also, most jurisdictions I've had an inspection in just want you to call when you need an inspection. Someone will arrive in 30-120 minutes. I think I've been around these inspections 3 times in 2 counties now? It is permitted to be different, though, so calling now won't hurt for information.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

DocThrock

In my jusirdiction I have to go PAY for the inspection at the local police station. State trooper or deputy might be different and perhaps free, but they are thin and spread out over here. City cops just sit around looking for something to do.

They do recognize the 6 digit serial, but will probably ask questions. Be ready to explain the serial number and show them to the data plate and the vehicle invoice or SF-97 to ease their concerns.

Also, most jurisdictions I've had an inspection in just want you to call when you need an inspection. Someone will arrive in 30-120 minutes. I think I've been around these inspections 3 times in 2 counties now? It is permitted to be different, though, so calling now won't hurt for information.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Beis

Cool- I live in Lafayette and also a Purdue grad!

You have to get it police I inspected? I have some work to do with my lights if so. Did they give you a list on what they will inspect?

DocThrock

When my M38 was inspected, the officer just looked for the vin and kept saying “Very Cool!” as he was filling out the paperwork. I think most Leo’s are exmil and/or fans of anything military. There was absolutely no functional check. Happily in that regard my M998 would pass rigorous scrutiny. Everything works except one front turn light bulb is out. Oh and the horn is dead. Keep forgetting to fix that...

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When my M38 was inspected, the officer just looked for the vin and kept saying “Very Cool!” as he was filling out the paperwork. I think most Leo’s are exmil and/or fans of anything military. There was absolutely no functional check. Happily in that regard my M998 would pass rigorous scrutiny. Everything works except one front turn light bulb is out. Oh and the horn is dead. Keep forgetting to fix that...
Just a quick FYI that the lights have to be on for the horn to work as they are wired that way.

Beis

Update on my progress for Military title in Indiana: First - my DMV personnel were really nice and wanted to help me, but the manager had never done a military vehicle yet. She knew what an SF-97 form was, but couldn’t understand why my name wasn’t on it (Iron Planet was on it). I explained that was what the notarized Iron Planet letter was for, re-assigning the ownership to me. So then she gives me an Indiana re-assignment form that she wanted Iron Planet to fill out. It had the same information...

Doc - I am assuming your DMV accepted your Iron Planet re-assignment?

DocThrock

I have not sent my paperwork to Indy yet. I'm going to do the Indiana Historic Military Vehicle and send it straight to the main BMV. My M998 isn't eligible for a couple more weeks.

Personally I think your branch manager is wrong. But they have their own little fiefdoms and it may be hard to sway some bureaucrats. I think WireFox eluded to that.

I'd just about bet that if you had to get an Indiana form from Iron Planet it will take forever. I know that after my SF97 was cut, it took IP 10 days to send me the release.

I hope they gave you all your paperwork back. It's time to call Indy and get them to straighten your branch out. Or just go ahead and mail it all to Indy. Their policy is that if anything is wrong, they send it all back anyway. Another thought would be to go to a different branch and try again.

Monday get on chat at GP and ask them if IP is willing to fill out your form and how long it might take. Otherwise work around your branch. Good luck.

I will certainly post up as I move through the title and registration phase.

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went through this yesterday at the Rushville branch. The lady helping me had to call Indy but they told her to enter the sf97 as a bill of sale. You might try telling them that and see what they say. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks