• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1993 m998

DocThrock

They didn't say, and I didn't ask. I would expect them to process it as quickly as any branch would. So if they get it on their desk Tuesday (if they don't already have it), I would expect they will contact me before the end of the week with final costs before they process my credit card, then mail it out the next day. I would hope that the turn around would be 2 weeks or less. You can bet that I'll post up here as soon as I know.

I could be shooting myself in the foot. The Indiana BMV has this notion that antique car drivers have to sign an affidavit and register their car EVERY YEAR by physically going into a branch. There's a lot of confusion about who has to affirm that they aren't using a 25 year old antique car for a daily driver. The fees are the same, so what difference does it make? There was some law change last year and the wording was poor to say the least. Anyway, if a trip into the BMV every year is mandatory, next year, I'll plate the M998 and move on. I hate going in there. Althought it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Doc- how long did your BMV say the Indiana title would take to arrive? I forgot to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocThrock

Just got a call from the state BMV central office. The latest wording, is now that the serial number has to be displayed on three sides. As verified with her manager, the ruling and wording changed last month. I explained that no other vehicles in Indiana have to show a plate or identification on multiple sides. And I suggested that as a rule (pulled out of my hat), military vehicles didn't display serial numbers on every side. The nice young lady took the case back to her supervisor. That person said no, that's the rule. And so I can stencil more bright numbers on the side of the vehicle and get the historic military registration designation. Or I can just plate it as a truck.

I asked for the contact information for the tier of bureaucracy that made that decision, and requested all my paperwork come back. The nice young lady asked her supervisor for that information. At that point, the supervisor decided to go up a tier and ask for more clarification and make a case (hopefully) for just the single number on the back of the vehicle. I'm now waiting for a decision.

Those of you Hoosiers who are thinking about doing the IHMV registration may want to chime in. I'm opposed to putting bright colored numbers (unnecessarily) on the side of my camo vehicle. So if the BMV comes back and stands by the three side numbers ruling, I'm just going to register it as a truck. With just a singe license plate and no extra numbers (I'll remove the one's I painted on). Hopefully the BMV see the ridiculousness of numbers on all side versus a single plate. Or give me a darn good reason why they want bright serial numbers all around.

I'm a bit frustrated, but I think they are really trying to work through this in a positive fashion. They evidently have had very few takers on this new (1 year now) Indiana historic military registration, and it was the first case that the young lady I spoke with had worked on. Fingers crossed.

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't want white numbers on mine either and this is what I did on my 5 ton and it went through. I guess they will call me if this is not acceptable but it does follow military regulations.

20171212_173451.jpg

Beis

I bet I read that wording from the BMV 50 times. It is not proper grammar first of all. It needs to be corrected. I am not really excited about the number on three sides either. My HMMWV is tan, so white or yellow letters really don't look right. Thanks for the update Doc.

tobyS

I think the FS black would look fine on tan in stencil letters.
How much of a savings is there over regular historic plates or just regular plates on a 1 ton truck (farm)?

DocThrock

There is no savings, you just get to NOT display a regular licence plate.

Got a call back from the BMV. Rule changed AGAIN over lunch. Now you don't have to display a registration/vin/serial number on the back of the vehicle at all. You only have to display it on either side. Yes, you have to put your registration numbers in a military fashion on both sides. That's the final rule.... today.

So I'm not doing the historic vehicle registration. Instead, I'm writing a few letters. I find it odd that HISTORIC military vehicles now have to don non historic markings (if you want to participate in this program and omit displaying a plate, which is apparently the only benefit). No other vehicles in Indiana have to do this that I know of and no explaination, let alone a REASONABLE explaination, was given.

My truck registration and title should be sent to me in the mail Monday.

DocThrock

Yes, I agree. In fact I told the girl I have print outs from November that are very contrary to what they are now saying. And she agreed. And so did her supervisor. It's a mess. And they have to fix it again. What a CF.

I bet I read that wording from the BMV 50 times. It is not proper grammar first of all. It needs to be corrected. I am not really excited about the number on three sides either. My HMMWV is tan, so white or yellow letters really don't look right. Thanks for the update Doc.

tobyS

Why not get a plate and remove it for an event? Heavy magnets would surely hold it on but be removable. Edit....oh yea.....aluminum....okay a mechanical fastener.

Here is another idea. I'll post the picture of my A3 deuce door for reference. Doesn't about every unit have an insignia that a number could be incorporated? Like mine was the US Navy Coastal Warfare Unit with the identifying number. Would something like that be authentic enough?

Attachments

Last edited:

Action

There is no savings, you just get to NOT display a regular licence plate.

Got a call back from the BMV. Rule changed AGAIN over lunch. Now you don't have to display a registration/vin/serial number on the back of the vehicle at all. You only have to display it on either side. Yes, you have to put your registration numbers in a military fashion on both sides. That's the final rule.... today.

So I'm not doing the historic vehicle registration. Instead, I'm writing a few letters. I find it odd that HISTORIC military vehicles now have to don non historic markings (if you want to participate in this program and omit displaying a plate, which is apparently the only benefit). No other vehicles in Indiana have to do this that I know of and no explaination, let alone a REASONABLE explaination, was given.

My truck registration and title should be sent to me in the mail Monday.
Why would a person not want a license plate on their HMMWV? To impersonate a military vehicle?

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering most states are not allowing hmmwv's to be titled for the road, I hope you guys consider this before trying to stirring the pot too much.

Beis

Considering most states are not allowing hmmwv's to be titled for the road, I hope you guys consider this before trying to stirring the pot too much.
Good point galaxie... I do feel fortunate that Indiana has a military program and effort to keep these vehicles on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awol

I'd just register it as a normal vehicle and be done with it. It clearly sounds like the DMV in your state has their heads firmly planted in between their legs.

tobyS

I'd just register it as a normal vehicle and be done with it. It clearly sounds like the DMV in your state has their heads firmly planted in between their legs.
Compared to the troubles in other states, I think they are doing fine. Note this is a special historic licensing procedure that most people do not need. Normal (plated) historic plates could have been bought or a normal truck plate. That there is a glitch because they don't want to display a plate is hardly BMV with "their heads firmly planted in between their legs". Ask Ohio or Michigan residents about how their state is doing licensing HMMWV's.

Wire Fox

Why would a person not want a license plate on their HMMWV? To impersonate a military vehicle?
In theory, the program is for maximum historical accuracy to only display accurate markings. As originally written, you could do this on vehicles painted in a solid color. I see the appeal for collectors and exhibitors, but it doesn't make much for someone just putting their truck to good use.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

DocThrock

Too late, the pot is stirred. I sent a polite and thoughtful request for clarification and reconsideration to my state representative and the BMV commissioner. Yes, we are very fortunate to have this program in our state. But it seems there's a disconnect between the program rule and it's execution. I doubt they would fully rescind the program because I stuck my nose in there.

Awol

That there is a glitch because they don't want to display a plate is hardly BMV with "their heads firmly planted in between their legs".
I don't know, I mean if you keep getting a different answer every time you talk to them, that would make me believe their heads are somewhere they don't belong.

Anyways, good luck OP. It'll be worth it in the end, regardless of what plates you end up with.

DocThrock

My Indiana title came FEDEX this AM. The title is a “regular” title for a truck less than 11000 pounds. This is good news considering two documents that I sent with my packet to the Indianapolis head office had big red letters stamped on them. The plate and registration should follow directly.

Edit: Moments after Fedex showed, my favorite letter carrier brought me a temporary tag and truck registration. Forgive me while I go offline and take a little drive.

Last edited:

tobyS

My Indiana title came FEDEX this AM. The title is a “regular” title for a truck less than 11000 pounds. This is good news considering two documents that I sent with my packet to the Indianapolis head office had big red letters stamped on them. The plate and registration should follow directly.

Edit: Moments after Fedex showed, my favorite letter carrier brought me a temporary tag and truck registration. Forgive me while I go offline and take a little drive.
What are the restrictions for going out for "a drive" with this type of registration that you have now? Do they differ from regular historic plates for those occasional times we just want to drive around or haul some stuff?

DocThrock

They sent me a temproary tag just like the one on my new car parked riight next to it in my garage. An actual truck license plate should show up in the next few days.

My Title and registration are for a regular truck, normal rules apply. I have some insurance restrictions on when, where and how much I drive, but I'm fully road legal.

The Indiana Historical Miliary Vehicle designation was just so the vehicle didn't have to display a license plate (and look more "military"). Otherwise normal vehicle Indiana road laws apply. It's still just a truck.

No road restrictions either way.

Still waiting to hear back on my emails to various legislators and the BMV Commissioner on the Indiana law governing civilian owned military vehicles. Maybe they'll change the rules set on the fly by the BMV (contrary and way beyond what the law states), and maybe they won't. I do have the opportunity to go back and change from a regular civilian truck status to an IHMV status. But I'm not waiting, and I'm not painting any more numbers on it. I put my temporary tag in the window. Now it's time for a drive!

What are the restrictions for going out for "a drive" with this type of registration that you have now? Do they differ from regular historic plates for those occasional times we just want to drive around or haul some stuff?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks