• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1993 m998

DocThrock

Galaxie did you just do a regular title and registration? Did you get a plate for on road on the spot?

I just went through this yesterday at the Rushville branch. The lady helping me had to call Indy but they told her to enter the sf97 as a bill of sale. You might try telling them that and see what they say. Good luck.

Beis

Awesome input guys. Thank you. I did get all of my paperwork back and my plan is a new branch. I agree with Doc, even if IP would fill out this paperwork, it would take forever.

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm doing the mv title and registration. I just did the title this week, I'm working on getting the numbers stenciled on the truck. I'll send the paperwork in for the registration when I get it ready.

The lady asked me if this was an off road vehicle and I said no so I make the assumption that it was going to be an on road title. I didn't want to press my luck so I guess I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the title arrives as on road.

Beis

Update: Success on the title at the Lafayette BMV. The manager knew all about the Indiana military vehicle program and had done several already. Didn’t even look at the notarized IP form. Ran it as Bill of Sale. The only thing they asked about was an odometer form? I said I didn’t have one and they just ran it as “exempt”. Didn’t care about the off-road stamp. Next step is sending paperwork to Indy for the registration/plates. Question - did your BMV keep the SF-97 form?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tobyS

I've titled 15 5 tons and M35's with bill of sale and police vin inspection only, no SF-97.

One trailer took 2 inspections since we had to get a vin assigned and put onto a permanent plaque and affixed after sending in a picture of it. I don't know why anyone would wait for an SF-97 that will be marked "off road" in Indiana.

tage

A privately owned retired military vehicle can be titled and registered (and driven on the road) in Indiana if it is over 25 years old. "Theresa" at the BMV state office said a '93 is only 24 years old. So I'm going to wait until January to send in all the paperwork (if the SF97 ever shows up). Part of the requirement is to paint identifying registration/serial numbers "in a military fashion" on the rear of the vehicle. So my buddy made me a nice stencil (he fabs lots of gubment stuff) and I painted my serial numbers across the "bumper". The picture above doesn't do it justice, those 6 numbers REALLY stand out in person. Conversely, the unit markings on the lower corners were demilled to the point to where they aren't hardly legible.

Other than dirt, surface rust and normal wear and tear, I think my M998 is in pretty good shape! Runs nice, goes into gear, hand parking brake works, vehicle rolls nicely, power steering is smooth and quiet, and even the heat and blower fans work! So far, so good!

Matt
With the new sales of HMMWVs from GovPlanet and Govliquidation many people are asking on how to title them for on-road use.

The government is allowing these trucks to be sold by the auction sites but with the restriction that they are for OFF-ROAD use only and WILL NOT be titled for on-road use. This a DoD regulation/restriction and is not controlled by the auction sites or individual State DMVs

Because of this restriction this site will not allow any discussion on how to "break" this rule and title the Humvee for on road use.

I sure would hate for the Goverment to stop all sales because of someone trying to get around this restriction.

If you start a thread, ask questions or discuss how to circumvent this rule you may be banned from this site.

This is not open to debate.

Just as a reminder, the DLA has not changed their stance of the "off-road-use only" restriction. Here is a blurb from their website:

"Humvee/HMMWV In November 2014
DLA Disposition Services began releasing excess military Humvee cargo and troop carriers with model numbers M998, M998A1, M1038 and M1038A1 to all eligible reutilization, transfer and donation (RTD) recipients. These are early model "soft side" unarmored vehicles. Participants in the Fire Fighters and law enforcement support programs remain eligible for the items as well. Vehicles not acquired by those special programs or RTD recipients may be sold to the public for off road use. They will be offered under a contract for disposal of rolling stock. See www.govplanet.com for additional information."

http://www.dispositionservices.dla.mil/sales/Documents/Sales/FAQ.pdf

Until this stance is changed all the BS you hear on the internet is just that, BS.

Cool Story Bro.
Maybe read the forum rules? And the TM's....

tobyS

Cool Story Bro.
Maybe read the forum rules? And the TM's....
Note...in Indiana there is no requirement to use an SF-97 to get title and plates.... they will do it from the bill of sale and a police inspection. It's not "circumventing" anything...all the MV I have purchased (15 trucks + 8-10 trailers) have been titled and can have plates in exactly the same manor.

Sorry for your luck in other states but sour grapes on your part does not make titling HMMWV in Indiana unlawful or an act of "going around" any law (or "rules" on SS). The OP is in Indiana, so laws or decisions of other states BMV simply does not apply.

tage

Note...in Indiana there is no requirement to use an SF-97 to get title and plates.... they will do it from the bill of sale and a police inspection. It's not "circumventing" anything...all the MV I have purchased (15 trucks + 8-10 trailers) have been titled and can have plates in exactly the same manor.

Sorry for your luck in other states but sour grapes on your part does not make titling HMMWV in Indiana unlawful or an act of "going around" any law (or "rules" on SS). The OP is in Indiana, so laws or decisions of other states BMV simply does not apply.
You are right. No one follows the rules here anyways. Just the mere talk of a title on a hmmwv got me banned couple years ago. Now the mods just don't care.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You are right. No one follows the rules here anyways. Just the mere talk of a title on a hmmwv got me banned couple years ago. Now the mods just don't care.
And many more uneducated owners along the way

Plenty of wheel chocks in case i need to stop.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

tobyS

Wes, I about cried when I saw 50 or so new MRAP with cranes and 16.00's new.....and couldn't get a lug nut. The wastefulness was entirely beyond my comprehension....new Cat engines just destroyed. It's hard to have much trust in the military's wise use of resources when they prove no commitment to recycling....except scrap to China.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wes, I about cried when I saw 50 or so new MRAP with cranes and 16.00's new.....and couldn't get a lug nut. The wastefulness was entirely beyond my comprehension....new Cat engines just destroyed. It's hard to have much trust in the military's wise use of resources when they prove no commitment to recycling....except scrap to China.
Let's see the scratches this forklift will give a hmmwv

tobyS

Let's see the scratches this forklift will give a hmmwv

Let me guess, the next series is the bulldozer on top of the hummers. When I bought the (28) Jeeps, after I got what I could they started that part, I had to leave. The MRAP's were new...so an order of magnitude more wasteful in my opinion.

DocThrock

Since it appears that Indiana likes BOS over SF97, I'm going to include one in my packet to the state BMV for proper historic military vehicle registration. I bought it the day my M998 became available, it came FedEx in about a week. Next time I'll just get a BOS from the get go.

Merry Christmas!

DocThrock

Stopped at the local PD to make inspection arrangements. "Is it here?" Maybe I should have just driven it. "When you want it done?" When it's convenient for you. "I'll send a man right over." No fee, either!

Patrolman was 20 minutes behind me. "Our department has two of these. Yours is different." Yes, theirs are armored rigs with a turret and forging set up.

"How do I get one?" he asks as he's filling out the two Indiana forms. No physical inspection, just a check on the 6 digit VIN through BMV. I explained the process and the new Indiana historic military vehicle law and the serial number registration I painted on the back while he was waiting on the reply. "Cool! Can't wait to see you on the road!" as he hands me back the forms.

Next stop post office.

orgnal

Stopped at the local PD to make inspection arrangements. "Is it here?" Maybe I should have just driven it. "When you want it done?" When it's convenient for you. "I'll send a man right over." No fee, either!

Patrolman was 20 minutes behind me. "Our department has two of these. Yours is different." Yes, theirs are armored rigs with a turret and forging set up.

"How do I get one?" he asks as he's filling out the two Indiana forms. No physical inspection, just a check on the 6 digit VIN through BMV. I explained the process and the new Indiana historic military vehicle law and the serial number registration I painted on the back while he was waiting on the reply. "Cool! Can't wait to see you on the road!" as he hands me back the forms.

Next stop post office.
Awesome positive experience! Congratulations!!!

McReddy

tobyS

Next stop post office.

Why post office? Take the bill of sale and that handy little police vin check and do it at the BMV...then no waiting (well, the title comes in the mail) .....you can have a plate same day.

Wire Fox

Why post office? Take the bill of sale and that handy little police vin check and do it at the BMV...then no waiting (well, the title comes in the mail) .....you can have a plate same day.
He wants to register as historical MV, IIRC. They require that to be mailed in nowadays. You're absolutely right for standard registration. Do it anywhere that'll give you a place in line.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

DocThrock

WireFox is correct. In order to just display military markings on your 25+ year old military vehicle, you have to mail a packet to The main office in Indy. Everyone else, grab your vin check and your BOS and head to your local branch.

Paperwork should be on their desk Tuesday AM.

He wants to register as historical MV, IIRC. They require that to be mailed in nowadays. You're absolutely right for standard registration. Do it anywhere that'll give you a place in line.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks