• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1993 m998

DocThrock

Congratulations! Yes!

I took my M998 for a warm up, clear out the cobbs drive yesterday. Went down into Terre Haute. Got up to 55 (and I can still hear, barely!) once. Only forgot the manual signal twice. Embarrassing. Was a great drive. Wipers worked, washer worked, heater... didn’t need it, but worked. Horn worked... look on cell phone drivers when I honk in their rear views is priceless.

Success with me too Doc. Just got my Purdue plate today. Road legal in the great state of Indiana!

DocThrock

Got my metal truck plate and registration last Friday. Left it all in the mailing envelope and stowed it in the rig. Temp paper plate is coming off as soon as I’m over the flu.

The Director of Registration at the Indiana BMV is looking into how her staff is advertising and (incorrectly) executing the Indiana Historic Military Vehicle program. The latest word directly from her was that if your vehicle complies with military regulations, that’s all that is required for the program. She apologized for me having to paint numbers on my M998, which leads me to believe that extra registration numbers on the vehicle are not required. I asked her to further clarify the program in detail and tell me if my vehicle qualifies as is. I also asked her to address the “25 year old” stipulation since that qualifier is not specified in Indiana law. Stand by...

Action

Got my metal truck plate and registration last Friday. Left it all in the mailing envelope and stowed it in the rig. Temp paper plate is coming off as soon as I’m over the flu.

The Director of Registration at the Indiana BMV is looking into how her staff is advertising and (incorrectly) executing the Indiana Historic Military Vehicle program. The latest word directly from her was that if your vehicle complies with military regulations, that’s all that is required for the program. She apologized for me having to paint numbers on my M998, which leads me to believe that extra registration numbers on the vehicle are not required. I asked her to further clarify the program in detail and tell me if my vehicle qualifies as is. I also asked her to address the “25 year old” stipulation since that qualifier is not specified in Indiana law. Stand by...
I thought the 25 year thing was for antique plates, not former military vehicle plates.

DocThrock

Well the bad news thus far is that: YES, there is an actual Indiana law that defines a military vehicle for purposes of the IHMV program as privately owned and 25 years or older.

The Indiana BMV finally recognizes that the DOD marking guidelines they were using to define the multi side markings does not apply to all vehicles. Whether or not they make any changes to the program remains unclear.

What is clear is that Indiana law requires stenciled registration markings on the vehicles in a fashion compliant with military regs to be considered for the non plated IHMV program. So some unnatural lettering is likely. Which is why almost no one wants to participate in the program. Still working on it.

And this program I’m trying to clarify/change is only if you want to NOT display a plate. You can register and plate a military vehicle regardless of age. But if you want to just have military markings without a civilian license plate, then you register under the Indiana Historic Military Vehicle program. If a plate is no big deal to you, register ANY HMMWV as a pickup truck and you are good to go.

I thought the 25 year thing was for antique plates, not former military vehicle plates.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks