• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20 July SS'er Get Together at the Veterans State Park in Cordele GA.

3dAngus

Hard to believe I haven't had this Deuce Bobber out since last October at the Ga. Rally.

One year is just to long, and even the three months between now and then is a long time.

Getting it out and ready. I'll be pulling the M101A2 on this trip for extra storage and camping in the back of the Deuce with my wife. I can't believe she's going!!!

Fun Stuff!!!

I just don't use this deuce enough and will probably put it up for sale after this campout, sticking with the M-37 for my outings.
Might even pick up a jeep.

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

Wipers repaired. Now for lights and fluids check.

Weather is looking fantastic for it. Drop on by if you get a chance.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

I'll be there. I'm not sure what time but it will be sometime Saturday evening. I still have drill this weekend but I might be able to get released early enough to drive my Deuce. I would love to drive my NG owned M1089 so lets see how this goes. For those who are wondering what an M1089 is, it's a medium wrecker of the FMTV Family. Worse come to worse, I'll show up in a Nissan Pathfinder and Atomic will show up in a 2500 Dodge Ram, Cummins powered none the less. When Atomic and I first discussed this idea, we were tearing down the rear axles of his deuce. He is the true brainstorm behind this event and 3D took it and ran with it which is nice. I had no drill scheduled for July and planned on bringing all sorts of stuff but there is now a drill scheduled for July this weekend. I hope all come out and support 3D for taking the reins on his effort of restoring a get together that I couldn't hold the lead on.. Now that I don't have to go to Ft. Stewart this weekend, I will certainly be there if for no other reason, I would like to drink a beer with the fine folks who will be there!!!!

3dAngus

First beer is on me.
Might have you guys something to eat too, by way of chicken and ribs, depending on what time you get there.

sandcobra164

Just got home. Wonderful get together. I really wish I didn't have drill this weekend unexpectedly. When I set the dates for this event, I had no drill at all in July. Anyhow, it changed up on me and kept me from camping with 3D and ChevyC60. I did spend the evening drinking beer with those two along with Atomic. He only drank 1 but he's not really one who partakes in the "hard stuff" and probably a better man for it. I was told that 2 other SS'ers dropped in earlier today and I would like to say "Thank You". It was very nice relaxing by the lake. The campground's are just as nice as 3D described. Water about 200 feet away, nicely laid out and water and electricity right in your campsite. Bathroom was maybe 700 ft away and was clean. I'm game for trying this again and my only regret is the National Guard making me come to work tomorrow. If not for that, I'd have brought the Deuce and camped out with some really nice folks. Those close to the area need to put this on the map as well. I'm not trying to get SSGR big but I had a great time tonight. SSGR started with about 7 or 8 trucks I've read. We just need about 7 or 8 more next time. ChevyC60 took a few pics of the founder and I of this event. Nobody has named it yet though. Congrats to all who worked hard to put this on. Just kidding, Thanks 3DAngus for making this happen as he was the only one who drove a truck down, set up the campsite, literally everything. I was glad to enjoy the evening.

SSG Rock

Had a great time yesterday at Veterans State Park with 3D and others. It was a enjoyable afternoon on the lake. Met some new friends and shared a few stories. Had a nice lunch provided by 3D. Thanks to 3D and others that put this event together.

JOECOOL48

Had a really good time yesterday, talking with old friends and meeting new friends. The location for such an event could not have been better. Tanks and aircraft on display at the park added an excellent back drop. It was nice and cool all day , no gnats, no sweating, and a cool breezing always blowing off of the lake. Sure would like to see this become an annual event. 3DAngus and wife were gracious hosts, sorry I missed seeing you Sandcobra.

Last edited:

3dAngus

And we're back...

The finest thing about getting together with old and making new friends in this business is, you get together with old friends and make new ones. I sure hope some of the others feel that same way as I. The conversation was good, lies were better, and I learned some new things about my deuce thanks to LC and some of the others. I certainly learned a lot more about the business of Green Iron, what some vehicle were that I was lacking knowledge in, what parts need replacing, while others can be rebuild. Rocky was very informative and entertaining and LC had some great pictures and knowledge, even climbed under my truck and took a good look for me and gave me some tips. I had to go to WalMart to get more grill space and missed some fine people who came by but they could not stay long. We had a little over a dozen people come and go, with a few military vehicles, including JoeCools phenomonal 5K gen which would be a shame to power up. It is museum quality and if mine I would not want to get it hot. LC's deuce had a two year old paint job in camo that looked like it was two days old. What a fine piece. These guys made mine look like a hobbiest toy, which, well, it is. I took a few pictures and wanted to share. Roy and Donna came up from Florida and made the longest drive. Thanks to Marie and Donna for all the help with lunch Saturday. It was Chicken and beans Friday night, Hamburgers and hot dogs for lunch Saturday, and Ribs, corn on the cob, watermellon, baked beans, and favorite drinks on Saturday evening.

A very special mention to a super lady who just DID IT ALL. Joyce and I said time and time again, "AMAZING!" was the word for Donna.
This fine lady watched dogs, kids, cooked, cleaned, set up, and just did it all. She never complained, always came back and said "What else can I do" and did it. Just amazing. No really. She was one VERY hard worked and I really hope Joyce and I get a chance to spend time with her again under less busy time and just chill with her and Roy and enjoy her smiling face and wond;erful company.
Thank you Donna, from both Joyce and I. You made our job so much easier! Now, here's some pic's

Attachments

3dAngus

A few more. People came and went thoughout the weekend. Atomic and Sandcobra came in Saturday afternoon and evening and we all had supper together. It was nice to see Sandcobra's kids again. They liven the place up with laughter and all. Joyce and I just love kids and look forward to our first Grandchild next Febuary.

Attachments

3dAngus

Pictures came in backwards. The first picture above is me leaving on Sunday. IN any case, it was mentioned doing it again next year, as the 1 year wait between rallies for the Ga. Rally is just to long, but that is what helps to make it the best as well. You just have to go to it if you haven't been.

I talked to the management on this go-a-round again about us camping together. The reservation system is just not set up that way and they say they cannot (or won't make an exception) do it. But... they did say, if we did it in April, which is what I suggested for cooler days and fewer knats, (yes, GunnerMac was way right), we could probably work something out with them if we camped in designated campground area C, which is a rounded circle in the woods across the street. It is a very nice area, a bit more remote, and definitely not lakeside, but more condusive to the kind of camping we like to do, and a bigger fire would not be inappropriate out there.
I would love to try something like this again, but the hot summer days is a bit much for most. Joyce and I had pulled a window air conditioner from my garage bottom floor and set it up on the tailgate of the deuce and it was great. We did not experience one single mosquito the whole weekend, but the gnats are horrible in the summer. In April, they will not be seen and the weather would much more condusive to an outing without a lot of extra special gear. It's something we should consider for an improvement.
Also, note the joint picnic pavilion area. The grill there is a 3'X3' as a minimum, and you can get a lot more chicken and ribs on there.
The roof overhead will protect us from rain and sun, and give us a bigger under the roof gathering area. I would recommend that as well, though there is an expense with the rental. Just something to think about. Thanks to all those who made it, and for those who could not due to family affairs and such, we fully understand. This was a trial and error, and next year it should be much better.
We missed things such as the boat show, with music, and drinks, the exibits, the Saturday night band, and others but it was voluntary to do so, and I'm not so sure I missed a thing, just knowing we had a good time with some great company. Thanks for the memories guys!

JOECOOL48

Well, If I get to vote, I would like to cast it in favor of a repeat next year. Even though we had great weather Saturday, it just was not normal for this time of the year. April sounds good to me. Maybe I can be of more help getting things set up than I was this time.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I knew I was gonna miss a good time with some good folks!! Just couldn't be helped.

I agree that late April would be a good time to have a "Gathering" of sorts. Seems like after May things just get hectic and CAMO has something going on June-Nov each month already.

ChevyC60

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got back to Loxahatchee and want to give many thanks to our hosts Dell and Joyce for making the get-together at Georgia State Veterans Memorial State Park a great time. Meet some new friends and said hi to old friends. And wow what a nice park.

Attachments