• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2010 Virginia Graves Mtn. rally - Labor Day weekend

CGarbee

Would have loved to come up for a work weekend, but too short of a notice. Already had other plans on the calendar. My wife and I would have loved to help "blaze" some of those new trails! We do have the rally on the calendar though. When will the registrations be available? BTW: new grand babies are doing great! :)

Would have loved having you with us... We have a new trail that we want to run over on Doubletop Mountain that has a steep section (to get you to the ridge) that should remind you a bit of Dutch John... :) Of course, we have to do a lot of cutting on it between now and the rally.

I have the registration form done, Amnon is working on the rally website... Meanwhile, I'll try to attach the form to my post... (FYI, the form is the same one as last year, just with different dates.)

Attachments

CGarbee

A couple more days to go - Cabell said he'd be in the area on Friday - Sunday, July 16-18. Can anyone lend a hand with some trail maintenance over those days? I think I can make it Friday.
Actually, the boss has informed me that I will be working on Friday/Saturday this week... :( I can make it up next weekend (have to work on shifting a Friday appointment but other than that, I know next weekend is ok...).

If you can get a few folks together, you know which trails we didn't work on over the Fourth and which ones need work... :)

You've got a PM...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Understood, Cabell. I still plan to put in at least one day this weekend, even if you can't make it up.

I just added the flyer for the event, located in post #1 of this thread.

CGarbee

We have the website up and running for the event. Still have a few things to tweak (shirt prices, some of the photos from last year, route map to the exact camping location, things to do in the area other than play with the MV's), but the basics are there including site and registration information.

Take a gander at:
http://www.gravesmountaintrailrides.com/

If you see somthing that is missing, needs to be corrected, ect., send me a PM or an email.

Hope to see a bunch of you in September,

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One month to go, fellas! If you haven't registered on the main website for this event, please do so soon. Getting close - also, we have to plan one final weekend of trail maintenance, if anyone would like to help out, please volunteer. Hopefully we can get the last of it done prior to the event.

kaiser715

One month to go, fellas! If you haven't registered on the main website for this event, please do so soon. Getting close - also, we have to plan one final weekend of trail maintenance, if anyone would like to help out, please volunteer. Hopefully we can get the last of it done prior to the event.
Fixin' to send in the registration this week. Gee, it's coming up fast, I got about six weeks of work on my truck, and four weeks to get it done!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next work weekend is this coming one, August 13-15th, if anyone can help out, please PM CGarbee, he'll be coming up for the work. This may be the last one before the event, so if you can lend a hand clearing some trails and hacking some weeds, send him a PM. Thanks,

AND DON'T FORGET TO REGISTER!

CGarbee

As Mike says, I'll be on-site around lunch on Friday (Aug 13) through lunch on Sunday (Aug 15) in order to do some work on the trials, etc. If you're in the area and want a preview of things to come, let me know so that I can meet up with you.
I've got about four trails that are new (that we didn't use last year) that we need to run/trim, etc...

Meanwhile, if you think that you are comming, post up and let us know. If you know that you are comming, please send in the registration form (it's on the event website) so that we can ensure that we have enough food and so that we can ensure that we have enough shirts of the correct sizes available.

Thanks,

CINCPAC

It's a small world!

I'm what on the drilling rig you call a "worm" on this site: the new guy.

And what do I find but good people here driving around in my old backyard: Blakey Ridge, Double Top, etc.

Please let me know when someone figures out a way to rock scramble their way to the top of Old Rag!

Take pictures in front of the Packing Shed.

John

JR

hopefully I will be coming up from VA Beach with a few guests in my deuce. Anyone else from my area going?

CGarbee

I'm what on the drilling rig you call a "worm" on this site: the new guy.

And what do I find but good people here driving around in my old backyard: Blakey Ridge, Double Top, etc.

Please let me know when someone figures out a way to rock scramble their way to the top of Old Rag!

Take pictures in front of the Packing Shed.

John
It's a small world... :)
I'll make sure that we take a few photos in front of the packing shed for you, it is a great spot for a "beauty" shot.

If you ever make it up to the area, hollar and we'll get together for a ride and/or a drink or three...

Meanwhile, we'll avoid taking anything up Old Rag as it's getting crowded these days and we'd likely scare the tourists...rofl

jbingvtx

Unfortunately my plans have changed...I just got hit with a massive vet bill that wiped out my fun funds. I will have to enjoy another rally through the pictures.

CGarbee

Unfortunately my plans have changed...I just got hit with a massive vet bill that wiped out my fun funds. I will have to enjoy another rally through the pictures.
What a bummer... :( Hate to hear that but hope that everything is ok on your end.

We'll miss you and will take a lot of photos...

CGarbee

Just thought that I would remind everyone (especially those that might be bringing familly/friends along who may "need" a break from the action...) that Madison County will once again be holding thier Taste of the Mountains festival on the same weekend in case anyone wants to run into town to check it out.

Taste of the Mountains, Saturday,Sept. 4 (9a -4p) Main Street, Madison, VA. 160 vendors, food, arts and crafts, live musical performances, exhibits and more. Free Admission...

Also as a FYI, Syria (where the rally is based at Graves Mountain Lodge) is located in Madison County... Hence the plug... ;)

CJ9/Granny

The registration has been mailed and we are looking forward to this event. Old Granny has undergone a face lift since last year. Obviously, she will never be a real military vehicle, but I believe she will blend in better this year. See y'all in September! :)

kaiser715

If anybody is interested in tagging along, I'm planning a dayhike into SNP while we are there, maybe Friday morning, maybe Sunday. Will park at the end of SR600 near Graves Mtn, and go up Whiteoak Canyon Trail, where there are several waterfalls. Either double back on the same trail, or loop around and come down Cedar Run.

From what I've read, parking is limited at the trailhead there, and on weekends/holidays, you have to start awful early to be sure of parking.

If you are interested, give me a hollar on PM. You can google something along the lines of "Shenandoah Whiteoak Canyon Trail" and get some maps and info.

Cabell...still gonna get my money in...will try and mail tomorrow.

peecook

hopefully I will be coming up from VA Beach with a few guests in my deuce. Anyone else from my area going?

JR, if you are going up Thursday, we can convoy from Richmond. PM me and we can work it out. Try to get Kevin to drive up, he missed Aberdeen this year and needs to put some miles on that new truck.

CGarbee

If anybody is interested in tagging along, I'm planning a dayhike into SNP while we are there, maybe Friday morning, maybe Sunday. Will park at the end of SR600 near Graves Mtn, and go up Whiteoak Canyon Trail, where there are several waterfalls. Either double back on the same trail, or loop around and come down Cedar Run.

From what I've read, parking is limited at the trailhead there, and on weekends/holidays, you have to start awful early to be sure of parking.

If you are interested, give me a hollar on PM. You can google something along the lines of "Shenandoah Whiteoak Canyon Trail" and get some maps and info.

Cabell...still gonna get my money in...will try and mail tomorrow.
The trail up to the first falls on Whiteoak is very easy, it gets more and more difficult as you progress up to the second and third falls. It's a wonderful hike that is well worth the effort no matter how far up you go.

We won't have any problems parking, not only is the parking lot at the trailhead actually one that the Graves built, but the land next to it is Graves land... We can park a five ton or two in our very own reserved spot next to the parking lot if needed. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks