• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2010 Virginia Graves Mtn. rally - Labor Day weekend

kaiser715

We are still set to go, leaving Sanford NC about 0800. (EDIT: on Thursday)

We've had a major change in our plans for the weekend, though. Last Monday, we got adopted by a dog. He's about 2 years old, and fairly well trained (in some ways--has a couple of bad habits, like licking everything), we just have to figure out what he is used to. Best thing is, he's crate trained, and doesn't make a sound all night, as long as he's crated (outside on the porch).

Only thing that might screw us up is that Renee's grandmother is in a nursing home, and she has pretty well stopped eating in the past couple of weeks, and has been losing weight quickly....we'll just have to deal with that situation as it develops.

Last edited:

gel69

darn it.....899 miles away from home this is a killer trip at 40 mph average and 8mpg ......my Christmas bonus is spent already:cookoo:
but this sound like a load of fun . I will have to pass though:|

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
I`ll tow it , BUT , Will probably have the LEOs all over me and I will wind up in jail. Me pulling a M109 trailer pulling a 715 will look like a train. OH by the way where is Zioncrossroads? aua

kaiser715

das beef posted on the 715zone that he is near Charlottesville, VA, about 38 miles away from GML.

I'll pass thru there on the way, but will have my 715 on the trailer.

das beef, you'd better show up for at least a visit, even if it's in a minivan!

das beef

i'll make up there saturday i think m715 or not and zioncrossroads is exit 136 on rt.64 between richmond and charlottesville ....... heh im a big bald headed toby kieth stone cold looking guy ha you won't miss me

CGarbee

I drive through Zion Crossroads every time that I make the run from Raleigh to Syria...usually in my XM813, the Cummins powered M37, or the M817... Sometimes, I make the run in my 944S2.
I'd run up in my M816 with the tag trailer and snag your ride this week, but I already told Neil that I would meet him in Danville to ensure that he makes it... :)

My buddy Chuck will be driving through Zion Crossroads on Thursday evening in his F250 crew cab with the M274A5 on a small trailer. If you have a trailer for the M715 and can stuff a Mule in it's bed (I have seen it done), he might be able to help you out...

Unfortunately, my towbar will be in use for the ride up so that I can tow my M38 behind the XM813...

Last edited:

hoop

If das beef has a tow bar, I can snag it and drop it off Thursday. Return ride would be up to someone else.

CGarbee

I will be on site Thursday just before lunch (assuming that Murphy stays away...).
I just sent an email to the folks reminding them of a few things that need to be done that morning (open the gate to the field, turn the hot water on in the showers, etc.

Mike should have the signs up before any but the earliest of arrivals apear on the scene, and the only folks that I know who might get there before he does have been there before... :)

I have a few things that need to be done when I arrive (set up the registration table/tent), but nothing difficult.

We may have to move one rock in a stream crossing if the cousin hasn't gotten the backhoe to it yet...

The nice thing about room #4 at the Old Farm House is that it has a porch so the hound should be happy, hate to hear about Grandma but I'll keep my fingers crossed for her.

Too far to drive? Catch a flight to either Charlottesville or Dulles. Grab a rental or give us a yell and we'll come get you...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I set up the signs this morning, but I had to turn and burn. My daughter's day care is closed Friday, so I'll have to stay home until evening. I should be showing up around 7:30pm on Friday, will stay through Saturday late night at least.

Hope to see you there!

JR

speaking of tow bars, not sure how much stuff will be at the "part swap" but I am looking for one. If someone is bringing one to sell PM me.

We will be up on Saturday, my deuce is still down so I will be coming up in a 1009 CUCV. Looking forward to it!

kaiser715

Got back home about 1930 tonight (Monday). Hope everyone had a safe trip back home. Had a GREAT time...thanks to Cabell and all the others for putting this all together!!

(And -- ahem -- thanks for the tow...)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
SCSG-G4, that is an AWESOME shot! :beer:

CJ9/Granny

Had a great time, with a great group of people! Got home around 1530. It was a nice, boring drive home... just like I hoped for. Sorry, no pics this time as my photographer wasn't with me. Quoting kaiser715... "thanks to Cabell and all the others for putting this all together!!" :)

CGarbee

I got home at 2100... I also had a "boring" ride home... :)
I had a great time and want to thank not only those that helped put this event on, but all of you that made it (in person or in spirit). We (the Graves familly and I) are looking forward to seeing everyone next year when we do it again...

I'm also looking forward to seeing the other photos...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks