• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2012 SoCal Fall Desert Rally

Lextreme

Well guys, I tried! Even as I type, I'm sitting in my FJ Cruiser on the BLM road mentioned in the earlier post.

...I couldn't find you guys to save my life. 45 minutes exploring in my truck, and 2 hours in the dirt bike! lol.

I'm heading back to the barn, would have been nice to meet some of you though. Maybe next time!

If anyone gets this soon and wants to call with directions, I'd live to swing by and say hi. 3ten 9 oh 9 nine one 98

Cheers!
You have to use your GPS. There is no phone reception in that area. It is about 20+ miles from the city.... I left earlier today and tell u the truth, I cant even get there if I want to. I followed another member with GPS when I got there....

Well, Since I left early so I will respond to the thread. I had a BLAST...... Literally....LOL... 2nd Amendment was fully exercised....

Met lots of great people. I also had a chance to meet $100dollarman... Great guy..... Everyone were friendly and helpfully. As most people chat with members I was working on my M109A3 :) Got few things done....

100dollarman

Lextreme is my new BFF! lol :beer:

Just got back from another great day out there! Weather was perfect! Again, awesome group! Great seeing everyone!

We went on about a 30mile "Convoy" in the desert exploring. Fun run!

pics to follow----nopics

ps- I picked up 9 mylar balloons on our run!!!!!!!!!!!! So we started tying them onto the back of the JEEP!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Home safe. Limped the last ten miles to my trailer storage place. Rear main is leaking and covered the clutch in oil. After I got the trailer dropped I sent three cans of brake cleaner into the bellhousing. Seems better now. I need to get that seal fixed.

Had a heck of a time finding it and spent about two hours trail riding towing the trailer. We went places you shouldn't take a deuce, let alone one pulling a trailer. Managed to get a signal long enough to call Hundy and get some details.

Everyone in my group had a great time, even though we were too wiped out for the trail ride.

Sold some parts, bought some parts and practiced the art of throwing lead at steel.

The new spot is great. I hope we keep this up.

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

So what ended up being the total head count?
From the pictures it looks like there was room for 100's at least.
I see there was some kind of Vortex out on the flat drylake area that seemed to suck vehicals into making hard left turns.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got in a bit ago, and I have to say I'm glad I went there early and stayed late. Lextreme you have one on the nicer m109's around (man those lights are bright) I wish you could have stayed longer. Cycletec great to hang out loved the steak wish I had some now... yum, Hundy if anyone needs parts please buy from this man he is a great person to deal with if I could shout it from a roof top I would tell everyone to buy from him and there are few people like him around next time we hang out I'll have a case of your favorite beverage on ice, thanks for the bumper. M1009 fiend and Gripy cool people to go on a convoy would like to do it again. Dug my friend gives you a double thanks for the seat and said he will have a cold beverage of your choice for giving us the passenger seat for the deuce he was tired of having the rear of his jeans torn from the spring that were poking out. Gottlos thanks for the shackles, my tow ropes will now last a lot longer. Bad Carp and Bad Karma you guys have the nicest high powered noise makers out of the whole bunch, you people make me want to spend money on stuff I don't need, but want soooo badly. It would not be a rally without the ceremonial hill fire and the morning wake up call:beer: I will post some pics up soon.

offroadrunner

With the addition of six new tires and a front bumper (thanks again to Hundy for hauling all that out there!) to all my usual cargo, I decided not to go out the way I came in (the Hinkley-Co Rd 99 route set up by Fastnova). Although I had no problems finding the route in (thanks to Fastnova's candy-cane markers), it was a little bumpy and twisty for me to follow with my non-power-steering deuce, and I was looking to reduce the chance for all of the cargo to shift around and fall on my doggies in the bed. So, I took the longer (about 8 mi.) but less bumpy way back (Copper City to Irwin to Old 58 ) - thanks to Duffman93, M1009 Fiend, and Steve for that suggestion - and made it back to HB around 15:30 - about four hours to cover the apprx 150 miles of dirt and pavement. Another fun trip, and it was good to get to talk with you guys (and gals - my doggies really appreciated the "lady with the chicken treats") too. Looking forward to the next one.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even with the lack of a tent my dad and I had a good time. It was great chatting with other green iron addicts. Looking forward to future events. Perhaps and event that will have a huge turn out and a convoy the size of the one for the Hemet Ryan Airshow.

What was the outcome of the cycle crash on Saturday?

Cycletek

He had a broken collarbone and his friend took him home and came back late Saturday night. I left this afternoon got home with no drama. I will post up pictures tomorrow. Had a great time and now I can put a face to the names I see on my computer, what a great group!

:beer:

Lextreme

Even with the lack of a tent my dad and I had a good time. It was great chatting with other green iron addicts. Looking forward to future events. Perhaps and event that will have a huge turn out and a convoy the size of the one for the Hemet Ryan Airshow.

What was the outcome of the cycle crash on Saturday?
I must say.. you and your dad are the bravest. Sleeping in a windy desert (around 40-45 degrees) with almost no protection.

Who crash and what happen?

Cycletech.. what a nice gentleman...... Beautiful truck u have.....

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what ended up being the total head count?
From the pictures it looks like there was room for 100's at least.
I see there was some kind of Vortex out on the flat drylake area that seemed to suck vehicals into making hard left turns.
I think we had about a total 10 mv's not sure about the head count.
That vortex is what you get when you have a big expansive space and try to make a 5 ton do donuts.:)

Bad Karma

Oh, and for the guys that will be traveling from hwy 58 onto Lennox there is a junk yard of MV's on Santa Fe rd. if anyone needs parts we have somewhere to go local. Here are some pics.
Funny thing is the 5 ton in the 2nd pic is exactly like mine and was parked next to it when I won it from GL. Kind of sad to see it there hopefully someone buys it and brings it back to life.
Great Weekend Guys ! Thank you. As for this junk yard in Lennox. Passed it on the way home. Whats the deal? Do you just show up with a tool box and take off what you need and pay them? Anybody know? Saw some parts I can use :p

Hey Fastnova, I love the paint color on your truck. What color and where did you buy it?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks